just starting

Options
got vivofit for Christmas weighing 212 looking to lose at least 50 hardest part I enjoy my beer and wine cant seem to get started

Replies

• seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    What is vivifit? Well you have to get started if you want to lose 50#! So do you have a plan? Are you logging your food? That's what I started with. I just logged for awhile to see what I was eating- then started cutting out one thing and adding another to try to get all those things on the bottom in line---you know -protien, calcium, fat etc. Then I decided I wanted to have more calories to eat so I started exercising some- that gives me a couple added calories. I really like wine and was drinking a glass or more every night, but I now drink Splash or unsweetened tea most nights, saving my beer or wine for the weekend and giving my liver a rest. Good luck getting started-just take it step by step and you'll start seeing success and you will start feeling better.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Great advice there......you have to be in the right frame of mind and you have to want to do it for yourself, for your health, for your life! It's a great and exciting thing to do, a challenge to change your habits slowly ...... Walk a little more, eat a little less, keep track of everything and you will see results! Good luck!

Jean
  • bvifun
    bvifun Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I am going to agree with the idea of just logging for a while to get an idea of how much you eat now. I do not drink beer but I was not willing to give up wine or martinis as long as I could have them within my calorie allowance. Did not give up chocolate either.
  • debbies555
    debbies555 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I am logging everything I take in have one more big thing am having a superbowl party after that can really buckle down and have at it and dark chocolate is my favorite
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Don't go crazy at the Superbowl Party......... ease back just a little....

Jean
  • Pinkpedals
    Pinkpedals Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    What is vivifit? Well you have to get started if you want to lose 50#! So do you have a plan? Are you logging your food? That's what I started with. I just logged for awhile to see what I was eating- then started cutting out one thing and adding another to try to get all those things on the bottom in line---you know -protien, calcium, fat etc. Then I decided I wanted to have more calories to eat so I started exercising some- that gives me a couple added calories. I really like wine and was drinking a glass or more every night, but I now drink Splash or unsweetened tea most nights, saving my beer or wine for the weekend and giving my liver a rest. Good luck getting started-just take it step by step and you'll start seeing success and you will start feeling better.

Thats my plan to. Log my food. Add notes to the food notes. Love that feature. I make much better food choices when I log my Food and keep a journal. I also found for me weighing daily is a positive feedback. I only officially record it. But I write how many days I've been logging my food, todays day 12 for me. Then I write the days wt. down.
  • Pinkpedals
    Pinkpedals Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    rosebod wrote: »

Thats my plan to. Log my food. Add notes to the food notes. Love that feature. I make much better food choices when I log my Food and keep a journal. I also found for me weighing daily is a positive feedback. I only officially record it once a week. But I write how many days I've been logging my food, todays day 12 for me. Then I write the days wt. down.

• mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Debbie, so great that you have already started logging ... For me, that is a key to success: accurate logging and seeing the bottom line has really made the difference.

You have an advantage at the Super Bowl party - as the hostess you can focus on serving others which might help you not eat as much yourself.
  • seeingthelight
    seeingthelight Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Logging is important to me also. I log all my food-even when I have to go back and add something I ate at 11:59pm LOL. Eating at night is slowing down thank goodness, but still happens. I have not been able to keep my calorie intake where it needs to be to lose weight but through logging I can see I am making progress toward that goal. I also like to go back and add up 7 days worth of net calories and see how that relates to weight loss/gain. I keep telling myself it's a lifestyle change - keep trying!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Logging is really the biggest thing - at least for me. It makes realize what is going in this big ol' mouth of mine. At the superbowl party, have a healthy snack before you go, drink plenty of water during, and try to keep the gnoshing down to a minimum. Maybe you can even bring some of your own snacks? We are going to a huge part at the Beau in Biloxi, I have a plan in place and have I have made up my mind to follow it. The party is free food and drinks - so if I don't have a plan I will nose dive. I find it better to not even start on the food table, just walk away.
  • oma5
    oma5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything the ladies have said. I would like to add to measure and weigh everything so that you get accurate portion size. That's the key, I was amazed at how much more I was eating than I thought I was. And continue measuring even though you think you can judge portions. I bought a set of serving utensils that are exactly 1 cup, 1/2 cup and 1/4 cup, it makes serving so much easier and accurate, the whole family uses them. Also I weigh my meat to make sure I am recording accurately.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good for you for being honest. I like wine myself, but, found it was adding calories I really could not afford. Try to think of something that might make a difference. I got in bed, sat up, had a glass of wine. When I gave up wine, I got in bed and lay down!, watched TV and went to sleep. It helped. Changing my habit worked. Sometimes I have a cup of tea. Also, start an exercise program if possible. If you have health problems, check with your doctor first. I have a bad ankle. I tried doing 10,000 steps first of year. Had a major setback. Now I can ride a bike for 20 minutes Cannot walk for exercise for 3 weeks. At that time, I have to start with 1/2 mile for a week, then 3/4 for a week! UGH! hate it. I love to walk for exercise. So I did my 20 minutes on the exercise bike. Not my favorite, but it is something.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Debbie, good for you already tracking to see where you are now. You can tweak from there. Your activity tracker will help you get moving more. Aim for the 10000 steps a day and once you get there add some more each week. It will take time to work up to that. I have found that if I don't exercise more as I grow older I can't lose, YMMV.

When I started out, I found the some of the posts listed in this thread helpful:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/833026-important-posts-to-read

I have not given up good wine and dark chocolate, I just don't eat as much of it. Find out what you really enjoy and make it fit within your calories/nutrition for the day. Both have good healthy elements. After all life is for living and living without those two would make life very dull and boring to me. It is about lifestyle not dieting now.

Keep posting and logging.

• grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Debbie, there is always something that will come up to make us say, "we'll start tomorrow." You are already logging, so instead say, "I have already started my weight loss journey." You can develop your food plan after you determine what you eat, but you have started the process.

We all will have the challenge of Superbowl parties and holidays. We might give ourselves a pass, but we don't think of ourselves not on plan.

I think one of the mistakes that a lot of people make is they screw up in a day and then say, to heck with it, I'll get back to it tomorrow. No, get back to it now! If you screw up again 10 minutes later, get back to it 11 minutes later. A lot of damage can be done waiting for "tomorrow" because suddenly tomorrow becomes "Monday," or "next month," or "after all the holidays," etc.

Also, if you screw up, log it anyway! 1. It helps you to see how much damage you have done and 2. It will help keep you from doing it too often.

Many of us have a beer or a glass of wine. Learn to reserve enough calories to allow for it in moderation. Otherwise, you won't stick with it.

As you have gathered by now from everyone, logging is essential. Opening your diary to at least friends helps keep you accountable. And...Welcome to our group!
  • jeanmrob
    Options
    Great advice there Charlie

Jean