College and keto questions

Options
Is there anyone here who is doing both? What do you find is best at your cafeteria? My school doesn't have nutrition info available. :( Pretty sure that's illegal, but not gonna pick a fight with my food source. Obviously it's not an option to eat breaded chicken, granola bars, sodas (except a diet orange once in a while...), sandwiches, etc any longer. What should I be looking for, or asking them to prepare? They'll make me things like hamburgers or cheeseburgers, philly cheese steak sandwiches. But how would I ask for them to be prepared, ie what toppings? Anyone know of any grab and go foods they are likely to have somewhere?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Check if they used powdered eggs for the scrambled eggs and or omelettes, then see if there's added filler.
    Toast/bagel station should have butter, peanut butter, and cream cheese.
    Salad bar for avocado, olives, sunflower seeds, plain olive oil, shredded cheese, bacon bits.

With so many gluten free people these days, you might be able to play the allergy card.

Burgers should be ok as long as they don't put breadcrumbs in like meatloaf (not that they would, but I could see a cafeteria wanting to "stretch" their meat).

Sauces will probably have more sugar than you want, so you should probably stick with "drier" dishes to be safe.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Treat it like ordering out- burger no bun, sandwich no bread, grilled chicken/fish etc. You can probably add in cheese and butter, and such from any salad bar/breakfast bar stations. Breakfast should be a home run- bacon eggs, etc. And like kirkor says- play the allergy card. Ain't no shame in the keto game... lol
  • photo_kyla
    photo_kyla Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    As someone who's worked in a college cafeteria for years, go ahead and ask! With so many allergies out there, we get asked every day. It's not that hard for them to go look at the label and see if there're fillers or cornstarch.
    Burgers are easy, ask for it wrapped in a lettuce leaf (bunless). Ask them if sauces are gluten free. Ask for double helping on low carb veggies. If it's all-you-can-eat style, just eat the toppings off of pizza and throw out the crusts.
    Make friends with the cafeteria staff. I know that I have customers who are lactose free or gluten-free or vegetarian and I keep an eye out for specials that they can have and tell them about that when they come in.