Low carb breakfast?

Options
AJ63736
AJ63736 Posts: 18 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
I'm always eating egg whites and some sort of breakfast meat and maybe cheese for breakfast. I need new ideas! I like to keep things simple or if the recipe isn't simple, I like to be able to make a batch of it that will last. Open to all recipes or ideas :) And please clarify if the recipe is using net carbs, thanks! Feel free to add me, of course :)

Replies

• KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    In what range are you trying to stay in terms of calories, carbs, % fat? Does a reheated quiche count as a make ahead batch?
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Why are you only eating the egg whites? Eat the whole egg! The yolk is where most of the nutrition is!

That said, you can have anything you want for breakfast. Have meat leftover from the night before? Heat it up in a skillet with some butter! Toss in some broccoli or something and you're good to go.

I'm also a bit of a fan of smoothies, especially when I'm trying to get more greens in. Cream + unsweetened almond milk + flavorings of choice (I'm a fan of cocoa powder and peanut butter, but you can use whatever) + a little sweetener + a handful of leafy greens = a great, easy, on-the-go meal.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    I was going to say the same thing as Dragonwolf...why are you only eating the egg whites?

I don't venture out with breakfast too much...switch up the eggs with different veggies, meats (ham, turkey, chicken, ground beef, bacon, sausage) and cheese. I like having on hand different flavors of mustard to dip everything in.

Do you drink coffee? What about bullet proof coffee? If I'm in ketosis I can usually drink a cup of coffee with some coconut oil and heavy cream and last til lunch. Sometimes my stomach is a little quesy and I can't drink just coffee so I eat a hardboiled egg or a cheese stick after.
  • ncrissey460
    ncrissey460 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I drink a large mug of tea in the morning with coconut oil and heavy cream and then I fry up 4 pieces of bacon and eat while im preparing my lunch for the day. The tea and bacon keep me filled until lunch time and its quick and easy.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Have you tried the "egg muffins"? I have made them several ways but I can do a batch and keep in the freezer or fridge. If you google it or even look it up on pinterest. I've done it where I just line a muffin tin with a piece of ham and crack an egg and bake, or scramble a dozen eggs and chop up veggies and bake. It's portable and quick! I also do coffee w/heavy cream and/or butter, coconut oil.
  • LowCarbHeart
    LowCarbHeart Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Breakfasts are always tough, when I first started I basically ate bacon and eggs every morning and got so tired of them. Here are some breakfasts that I've been having lately:

Cheddar cheese and a handful of salted almonds
    Low carb 7 grain bread (Sami's Bakery) with a Tbsp of butter or peanut butter
    Hard boiled eggs
    Scrambled eggs and ground sausage

I'm in OWL on Atkins so I usually have a few berries as well.

Hope that helps!
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I do eggs with swiss cheese and chard, spinach, asparagus, I try to pack in as many low carb veggies as I can to breakfast. And always add ham, turkey, or salmon. The other day I had salmon for breakfast.

I also eat most of my carbs at breakfast, yogurt with almonds, chia, and flax is one of my favorites.
  • Salsabia
    Salsabia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hard boiled eggs prepared a head of time are quick and easy. I sauteed a bunch of onion and bell pepper this morning. I plan on making scrambled eggs with diced ham and veggies a few times this week. Morning star veggie sausage patties with a slice of cheese between them are wonderful!
  • volfan22
    volfan22 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
  • Luv2Munch
    Luv2Munch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi all, besides egg whites with low glycemic veggies and no salt spices one of my fave brekkies is:
    no sodium chicken broth with cut up lettuce, fresh spinach, or zuchini or celery and and 4 oz of chopped lean protein either chicken, turkey or pork tenderloin. Very filling and fast. I typically will broil 6-8 chicken breasts or 2 pork tenderloin with different no salt spices and then once they are cooked, freeze them in individual 4 oz portions. in the morning while i'm feeding my dogs/making the coffee i take out a large 4 cup measuring pitcher, pop in 2-3 cups of no sodium broth, 1 cup of loosely chopped lettuce or fresh spinach, 4 oz of the frozen pre-cooked protein and put some lemon spice or tuscan tomato into the microwave and by the time i'm finished with my other tasks brekkie is ready. Happy munching! barbyk
  • Luv2Munch
    Luv2Munch Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, i don't have a problem with eating left-overs either. I've often eaten lean protein stir-frys or left over beef stew, goulash whatever for breakfast. As long as it's lean protein with low glycemic veggies i'm good to go.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Cream cheese pancakes/crepes; 2oz cream cheese and 2 eggs, beat the daylights out of them (I use my immersion blender) till fully mixed and frothy. I swirl 2T in a nonstick skillet to make a nice thin crepe, then serve the stack with sour cream and a bit of low or no sugar jam.

Omelettes are always tasty and can hold anything (cheese and avocado, spinach, mushrooms, whatever you like.)

I love egg yolks, so sometimes I pursue the illusive to me perfect soft boiled egg.

And my quick weekday breakfast is coffee with coconut oil, grass fed butter, and unsweetened cocoa powder.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    oyadancing wrote: »
    Cream cheese pancakes/crepes; 2oz cream cheese and 2 eggs, beat the daylights out of them (I use my immersion blender) till fully mixed and frothy. I swirl 2T in a nonstick skillet to make a nice thin crepe, then serve the stack with sour cream and a bit of low or no sugar jam.

Omelettes are always tasty and can hold anything (cheese and avocado, spinach, mushrooms, whatever you like.)

I love egg yolks, so sometimes I pursue the illusive to me perfect soft boiled egg.

And my quick weekday breakfast is coffee with coconut oil, grass fed butter, and unsweetened cocoa powder.

(*)

Some good ideas. I received a Christmas gift with samples of beer & wine jellies for which I have not yet found a use. I think I could find room in my carb budget for a cream cheese pancake with red wine jelly.

• LJCruiser
    LJCruiser Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    A slice of homemade coconut bread w ricotta. Coconut flour, coconut oil, baking soda, eggs, coconut milk, vanilla. Easy to make a loaf and refrigerate.
  • rachel0923
    rachel0923 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I eat turkey bacon (baked over the weekend and just reheated in the mornings) and cottage cheese. After months of eggs, I just couldn't do them anymore!
  • nsoss
    nsoss Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Egg-based muffins are a good choice.

Here are some recipes. Check the nutrients. They're all paleo but some are higher carb than others.

http://paleogrubs.com/egg-muffin-recipes