Yogurt has so freaking many carbs, wth????

Options
So everything I've read about keto has a gazillion stars next to full fat dairy products.....but yoplait original has 33(!)g of carbs. I love yogurt, but that is over my preferred daily limit. What brand are you guys getting that has fat and maybe some protein, but nto so darned many carbs?

Replies

• KetoGirl83
    KetoGirl83 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Try to find unsweetened full fat greek yogurt. I mix mine with some raspberries and/or coconut oil, freeze it in cubes and eat as dessert. :)
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    So everything I've read about keto has a gazillion stars next to full fat dairy products.....but yoplait original has 33(!)g of carbs. I love yogurt, but that is over my preferred daily limit. What brand are you guys getting that has fat and maybe some protein, but nto so darned many carbs?

There is a brand called CarbSmart. it has 4 grams carb. I'll warn you now though, it definitely doesn't taste as good as the high carb yogurts. Buy one and try it. I bought them at Kroger.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

• zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    KetoGirl83 wrote: »
    Try to find unsweetened full fat greek yogurt. I mix mine with some raspberries and/or coconut oil, freeze it in cubes and eat as dessert. :)
    +1...I add some sugar-free sweetener and a tiny bit of vanilla extract to mine. It tastes almost like cheesecake!
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Yogurt has so freaking many carbs, wth????

All dat sugar, man.
  • soechsner09
    soechsner09 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I find this so frustrating too!! I've been trying to find the CarbSmart brand Dan mentioned but I can't find it anywhere around here (small town WI). Are there any other low carb brands out there?
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    I've made my own before, entirely unsweetened greek. But just the milk and such has quite a bit.... Seriously wondering if it's worth it. Screwed up my whole day.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    ya for dairy on keto it's best to stick with heavy cream, cheese, and butter.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

How does keto mesh with things like cream cheese, or really cheese I can make sauce out of in general?
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    Never fear, the bacteria that makes yogurt yogurt...feeds off of milk sugars (lactose -- which is why lactose-intolerant folks like me can eat relatively large quantities of the stuff without any issue. Same with cheese). I generally assume about half (at least) of the carbs in yogurt are eliminated. Especially with REAL, whole milk Greek yogurts (ie yogurts where carby whey is drained-off...NOT "greek" yogurts that are simply thickened versions of regular yogurt. Chobani and Greek Gods are legit).

Read this for more evidence.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

How does keto mesh with things like cream cheese, or really cheese I can make sauce out of in general?

It meshes just fine. Like yogurt, cheeses generally go through a fermentation/culturing process that eliminates most of the sugar. As a result, hard cheeses, like cheddar, have less than 1g of carbs per serving (pre-shredded cheeses will have a little more, because they use potato starch as an anti-clumping agent), and soft cheeses, like cream cheese, only have about 1-2g per serving. The only cheeses you might want to watch are whey cheeses, like ricotta, but mostly because those cheeses are heavy on the protein, with nearly as much protein as fat in the full-fat/whole milk version. For carbs, though, a full cup still only has 7g.

I use cheddar and cream cheeses a lot. I often put cream cheese into my eggs, and top them with some shredded cheddar. I'm also a big fan of cheese sauce on my broccoli and cauliflower. The cheese sauce ends up with a few more carbs, because the only recipes I've found so far thicken it with a starch of some sort, but we're talking a tablespoon or so in a batch that uses about 2c of cheese, so in a 1-2 tablespoon serving, you're still only talking about 2g carbs.

As for yogurt, most store yogurts have added sugar, but you can get full-fat plain yogurts, which have very little sugar in them. I personally like to look for ones from local dairies. You can also make your own pretty easily, using your favorite brand of yogurt as the starter culture. Heat milk or a mix of milk and cream to 185F, cool to 110F, add starter culture, cover and keep warm for at least 7 hours (a heating pad works well for this) -- the longer you let it go, the more lactose the cultures will eat, the less sugar it will have, and the tangier it will be -- stir and refrigerate. The base yogurt will be a little runnier than what you'll find in the store, since they use thickeners, but you can thicken it up and make it "Greek style," by straining it through cheesecloth.
  • Salsabia
    Salsabia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Do you have a Kroger near by? They make yogurts called carb control. Of course they are not as yummy as the sweet ones but I enjoy them. They have about 4 carbs in them. Many different flavors too.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    i cant live without yoghurt!! plain unsweetened greek yoghurt. I have halved the amount i now eat though.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Zoom 2, you said: >>>>I generally assume about half (at least) of the carbs in yogurt are eliminated. Especially with REAL, whole milk Greek yogurts (ie yogurts where carby whey is drained-off...NOT "greek" yogurts that are simply thickened versions of regular yogurt. Chobani and Greek Gods are legit).
    Yesterday I was having this discussion with other keto friends. HOW do we count the carbs to post then? The label on my full fat, "live" Straus brand Greek yogourt says 15grams in 1 cup serving.
    "Page 220, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (Drs Volek and Phinney): "And as an aside, as long as you use 'live culture yogourt' ignore the 'sugars' listed on the yogourt container's nutrition facts label. This is the amount of lactose (milk sugar) in the ingredient milk before the yogourt was made. In live culture yogourt, more than half of this is broken down to lactic acid during the fermentation process that makes yogourt. Unlike lactose, lactic acid (lactate) is easily absorbed by the body without raising your insulin level."
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    hotsungirl wrote: »
    Zoom 2, you said: >>>>I generally assume about half (at least) of the carbs in yogurt are eliminated. Especially with REAL, whole milk Greek yogurts (ie yogurts where carby whey is drained-off...NOT "greek" yogurts that are simply thickened versions of regular yogurt. Chobani and Greek Gods are legit).
    Yesterday I was having this discussion with other keto friends. HOW do we count the carbs to post then? The label on my full fat, "live" Straus brand Greek yogourt says 15grams in 1 cup serving.
    "Page 220, The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Living (Drs Volek and Phinney): "And as an aside, as long as you use 'live culture yogourt' ignore the 'sugars' listed on the yogourt container's nutrition facts label. This is the amount of lactose (milk sugar) in the ingredient milk before the yogourt was made. In live culture yogourt, more than half of this is broken down to lactic acid during the fermentation process that makes yogourt. Unlike lactose, lactic acid (lactate) is easily absorbed by the body without raising your insulin level."

At that point, it becomes an estimate (also, to note, in case it's not already clear - pretty sure they're referring to plain, not flavored yogurt; all bets are off with flavored yogurt if they use caloric sweeteners). I'd personally err on the conservative side and take the sugar content and divide it in half. If the yogurt has been fermented longer, then you get some "free" carbs to keep you under goal. If it wasn't fermented quite long enough for half, then you're only a small amount over.

For practical purposes if you really want that accuracy, you'll probably want to do a couple trials, where you measure your sugar and ketone levels before and after eating a new yogurt, to see how you respond and go from there.
  • KeithF6250
    KeithF6250 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    The label on Chobani Plain Whole Milk Greek Yogurt lists only skim milk & cream as ingredients. That may mean that they culture skim milk and then add the cream back in. In any case, it has less added stuff thn most.