Pasta recipes

Options
Windlicht
Windlicht Posts: 4 Member
I have found that I like to continue eating the things that I like. Portion control is the secret, as we all know. So, instead of loading a plate with pasta and some sauce and lots of cheese, pack your sauce with lots of vegetables to bulk it up.

So, here goes my basic recipe for: Pasta with Zucchini, Summer Squash, and Cottage cheese
Serves 1 person; about 330 kcal

1 serving of your favorite whole grain pasta - cook per package instructions
1/4 cup Hunts tomato sauce (Hunt's tomato sauce has basically no additives; just tomatoes)
1/4 water
1 zucchini, chopped
1/2 summer squash, chopped
4-5 cherry tomatoes, halved
Spices and herbs to taste
1/4 cup low fat cottage cheese

Add the chopped veggies (these or any others you may choose, you get the idea) to a skillet with the water, simmer until beginning to soften, add a little water, if necessary, add tomato sauce, spices, and cook 2-3 minutes. In a bowl or on a plate, top your pasta with the cottage cheese and then the sauce. Enjoy!

The cottage cheese adds protein, of course. The meal is otherwise packed with vitamins and fiber. You will see that you'll completely satisfied afterwards.
This is just the basic recipe, of course. Feel free to substitute, add, alter in any way that works for you. Sometimes, I add chicken or shrimp.

So, do any of you have good, healthy pasta recipes?

Replies

• ahokay89
    ahokay89 Posts: 353
    Options
    Sounds good!
  • Snoozypaws3000
    Snoozypaws3000 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I love cooking but am doing two different work contracts at the moment so it means I have to get up at 4am most mornings. By the time I get home I don't always fancy cooking so pasta is a great quick meal for me.

My quick cheat when I don't have time to cook uses wholewheat pasta,
    I cook it al dente, drain it and then add in a handful of chopped mushrooms and a jar of Dorito Hot Salsa....yes I know!
    The stuff you use if you're being naughty and having the tortilla chips.
    I heat it through in the pan with the pasta and ...that's it

It's really just tomatoes, onions, peppers and chillis and is really low in calories.
    Perfect for when you don't have time to sweat the onions, chop the chillis deseed the tomatoes and all the faff I normally go through when making a sauce from scratch.
    I try and eat as healthily and clean as possible so I often have homemade sauce in the freezer but when I'm absolutely exhausted after work this is a quick cheat

I use this all the time to jazz up quick meals....grill a chicken breast, heat up half a jar of Dolmio Salsa and slap it on, served up with steamed veggies....dinner in 10 mins flat

Not as good as a home made arrabiata but definitely worth trying....its about 32 cals for 80g serving, plenty enough to do a whole portion of pasta
  • whatsallthisthen
    whatsallthisthen Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Looks great.
    One tip I have tried with pasta is to replace(or augment, really) noodle portions with zoodles(noodle-sliced zuchinni). Makes for a great serving size. I'll have to try the cottage cheese!