Trouble reaching calorie goals on Low Carb

Options
djkidder3
djkidder3 Posts: 10 Member
I can't seem to reach my calorie goals, in fact I'm usually closer to 1000 and I know that isn't enough. My doctor told me to up my calories to 1600 and then keep my meals to 30g of carbs or less per meal. I just can't seem to find a balance that works. Any ideas?

Replies

• RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Are you eating meat and fat? These are no / low carb and high calories. Maybe share your dairy.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Yeah, without knowing what you're eating, it's hard to help you.

In general, though, make sure you're getting plenty of fat. You can get this from fatty meats, cream, cheese, and butter, to name a few. It makes it a lot easier to get enough calories without a ton of volume.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    The only way I've been able to meet my calorie goal and macros was to log everything the night before, so I could play with meals And snacks. Then stick to what I have planned.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Like PPs said, adding more cream, butter, and oils are easy ways to up your fat and calories without upping carbs.

Are you eating whole eggs and not just egg whites? Are you using ground beef instead of leaner ground chicken and turkey?
  • djkidder3
    edited January 2015
    Options
    RenaTX wrote: »
    Are you eating meat and fat? These are no / low carb and high calories. Maybe share your dairy.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/diary/djkidder3
  • Salsabia
    Salsabia Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Avocados, nuts, sunflower seeds, cheese, mayo, bacon!!
  • Rigra74
    Rigra74 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'd say cook with real food. For example, make your own omelet instead of that JD version. Load it up with some veggies, cheese, ham and 3 eggs.... that will take your breakfast up a couple of hundred calories. Others mentioned using heavy cream or half and half, and butter. You can also make dressing with olive oil. ... high calorie, high fat!!!
  • RenaTX
    RenaTX Posts: 345 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    djkidder3 wrote: »

Are you doing net carbs or total carbs? If you are doing net it would be helpful if you add fiber to your diary view.

I know some people look at total and others are doing net.

If you are doing total then half of your daily 30 allowed carbs is that shake then the other half is the pineapple.

What about replacing the shake with eggs, bacon or something else that has fat and protein? For snacks try cheese , a salad, homemade fat bombs, tuna salad with full fat mayo.

For other days your are going to have to cut out the flour products such as what is in the pizza from Papa Murphy and the low carb tortillas ( again if you are doing total carbs).

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    djkidder3 wrote: »

Are you doing net carbs or total carbs? If you are doing net it would be helpful if you add fiber to your diary view.

I know some people look at total and others are doing net.

If you are doing total then half of your daily 30 allowed carbs is that shake then the other half is the pineapple.

What about replacing the shake with eggs, bacon or something else that has fat and protein? For snacks try cheese , a salad, homemade fat bombs, tuna salad with full fat mayo.

For other days your are going to have to cut out the flour products such as what is in the pizza from Papa Murphy and the low carb tortillas ( again if you are doing total carbs).

Her 30g is per meal. Her total day's goal is ~100g. Other than that, I agree with this.
  • djkidder3
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I've been keeping it simple and counting total carbs not net.