Carbs low but sugars still high HELP

Options
megthehen
megthehen Posts: 21 Member
Hi
I am doing a 21 day sugar detox and trying to do a low carb diet to lose weight.
I have tried every low fat high carb diet known to man without long term success.
I am a bit of a carb junky, so I think this is the way to go.
Problem is, I have changed my goals to keep carbs under 100g per day and sugars under 25 grams per day.
I am managing to keep the carbs under 100g but the sugars are over.
These sugars are coming from veg. I cant believe there are 3 grams of sugar in a cup of courgettes. I don't want to stop eating veg so not sure how to keep these lower.
Any experience low carbers on here please give me some advice.
Thanks
Meg

Replies

• emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This will sound boring but stick with the following vegtables:
    Vegetables That Are Low In Sugar

Alfalfa sprouts
    Asparagus
    Avocado
    Bamboo sprouts
    Bean sprouts
    Beet greens
    Bell pepper (sweet green)
    Broccoli
    Brussels sprouts
    Cabbage — all kinds
    Carrot
    Cauliflower
    Celeriac (celery root, knob celery)
    Celery
    Collard greens
    Cucumber
    Dandelion greens
    Eggplant
    Endive
    Escarole
    Garlic (1 clove)
    Kale
    Leek
    Lettuce — all kinds
    Mung bean sprouts
    Mushroom
    Mustard greens
    Okra
    Onion (1 oz.)
    Radish
    Red-leaf chicory (Arugula)
    Romaine (cos)
    Shallot
    Spaghetti squash
    Spinach
    Squashes — summer
    String bean
    Swiss chard
    Tomato
    Turnip greens
    Watercress
    Zucchini

Until you get the hang of it pre-log your food and work with the numbers until you have created a day low in sugar and carbs. I'm sure there are people here that can help you by simply looking at their daily intake but you will need to fine tune it to your tastes. Good luck.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    That's a great list! My philosophy is just to stay away from the starchy veggies. I tend to mostly eat green leafy vegetables and my net carbs are usually in the teens. I made beet greens sautéed in butter and garlic last night - yum! Don't skimp on the fat and you won't miss the carbs. :smile:
  • megthehen
    Options
    thanks for the list, it is pretty much the veg that I eat anyway. I am surprised that they contain so much sugar. Even the whole milk? half a cup has 6 grams of sugar. Wow, terrifying to think what my sugar consumption was like when I was eating biscuits everyday.
    I do stay away from starchy veg and I am just trying to keep to under 100g carbs per day. this seems quite easy with loads of veg but its the sugar portion that surprises me. and I am not eating fruit.
    Thanks for the advice.
  • megthehen
    Options
    Okay so I just read the LCD launch pad thingy and it says I should stick to 100g carb and under 40grams sugars. So my sugar setting was too low.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    thanks for the list, it is pretty much the veg that I eat anyway. I am surprised that they contain so much sugar. Even the whole milk? half a cup has 6 grams of sugar. Wow, terrifying to think what my sugar consumption was like when I was eating biscuits everyday.
    I do stay away from starchy veg and I am just trying to keep to under 100g carbs per day. this seems quite easy with loads of veg but its the sugar portion that surprises me. and I am not eating fruit.
    Thanks for the advice.

It's a learning process, for sure. I've grown to skip milk entirely and go straight for cream. I don't drink much other than coffee (sometimes) and water these days. When I need milk for a recipe or something, I use either cream or unsweetened almond milk. On the occasion that I want a milky drink, I'll mix cream and unsweetened almond milk. I don't generally drink it plain, so I'll toss it in the blender with some cocoa powder and a bit of sweetener (I'm a fan of xylitol, because it tastes most like sugar, but stevia or splenda or whatever should work) and have chocolate milk.
  • april731
    april731 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    ^^ I do the same as dragonwolf. It also works to use cream and just water in things that call for milk. I never drink regular milk anymore - way too many carbs.
  • megthehen
    Options
    Thanks, as you say this is a learning process, I am just starting out but I am quite enthusiastic and I really want to do it properly.
  • annieboomboom
    annieboomboom Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Grab a copy of Atkins' book, The New Diet Revolution. It helps with guidelines.
  • dawlfin318
    dawlfin318 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Looks like your carbs are too high- to me anyway. I shoot for under 30g/day.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    dawlfin318 wrote: »
    Looks like your carbs are too high- to me anyway. I shoot for under 30g/day.

Only if her goal is ketosis. Not everyone can or wants to do <50g. In this group, at least, 100g is still considered low carb.

I had a 100g carb limit for some time, and I still recommend it for low carb beginners. It's a lot less daunting of a goal to get down to, especially if you're used to a low fat, high carb way of eating and 100g is a third of what you used to consume.
  • Fat4Fuel2
    Fat4Fuel2 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    megthehen wrote: »
    Thanks for the advice.

Leafy greens are your best friend. I'm also a fan of cauliflower. You can do SO MUCH with it. Some examples are rice, mash potatoes, popcorn, pizza crust, etc.

As far as milk goes, dairy in general is a bad idea unless it's organic grass fed. Cows are pumped full of so many hormones that effect you when you eat it. Also, milk, and the lactose (sugar in milk) in it, is meant for babies to help them get bigger.
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Given that we're all unique in our
    response to Carbs/Sugar,

Is there a common measure of
    response to the effects of Sugar on
    each individual's Health?

At least one Dr of Pathology
    has given his clinical observations:

'...Conclusions:

Sugar Consumption Creates Fat:

- Fatty Liver

- Increased *VLDLC (Triglycerides in Blood)

- Triglycerides Predict *sdLDL &
    - *CVD (CardioVascular Disease)

- HbA1c reflects average Glucose

- HbA1c predicts Complications of Diabetes

- But before that, HbA1c predicts CVD

- HbA1c reflects Insulin Resistance

- HbA1c reflects *Islet Cell Exhaustion in the
    Pancreas...'

Deciding our individual Carb Levels
    also includes these common blood
    tests, yes?
    *Triglycerides below 150mg/dl