Need a buddy

Options
Here's the thing, I'm in mid fifties, 300 pounds and I love to travel. Can you travel at 300 pounds? Maybe some can, I can't. My knees are killing me, going up the stairs (one step at a time with 2 feet) is real torture. Walking in a room and thinking you're taking up all the space, shamed to go through a door when someone is leaning on it as you must make them get out of the way, taking so much space in a movie theatre that you don't want anyone to sit beside you, not wanting a booth in a restaurant and so many other everyday moments are hurting my self esteem... so I want to change all that and I need a buddy or group of buddies to share good and bad everyday struggles, to share an accomplishment only another 300 pound friend would understand....

Replies

• michellewalker8866
    michellewalker8866 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You have joined the right group. I so get everything you said. I hate going to a restaurant and they set the family at a booth. I quietly pray that the table can move. I love to travel too. I hate getting on an airplane because one I can't buckle the seat belt (I refuse to ask for the extension), so I bring my pillow and hold it. Then it's like you spread out into the seat next to you, so I make my kids sit on the same side as me so I can put the arm rest up. I love to play sports too but hate if I have to do any kind of running because it like all the fat is clapping. I get so embarrassed about my size. I do understand more then you know.

You can friend me if you would like. This is my second time of using MFP. I have been doing better this time with my logging my food. I was doing good posting but the last couple of weeks I have been in a slump mood. But I normally read all my post and love to read about what others are doing (sometimes it helps me with my own struggles.)

• mybesttobe
    mybesttobe Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hi Michelle, I'm new to these message boards, I guess we'll all get to know each other. Will be looking out for you, and I hope we can help each other.
  • vaunche
    vaunche Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Welcome!!! I know what you mean I went to LA this past summer and was so scared I was going to have to get an extender for the seat belt. It closed but barely and it was so uncomfortable, both physically and mentally. I work as a makeup artist/body painter and costume designer so I spend most of my days making the hot women of the world look even better. As I paint their perfect little bodies I catch a glimpse of myself and feel sick. I have started this journey to a fitter me. I have lost 16lbs since the beginning of the year and it partly due to the support of this group and MFP in general. You came to the right place!
  • Jewels416
    Jewels416 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I think we wear the same shoes. I can relate to everything in your post. I'm over 300 and I went to Vegas last year. I felt that I was letting my friends down because I couldn't keep up with them. One of my friends is going to Ireland, England, Scotland and Wales in 2016. Right now I know I couldn't physically do it, so here I am. The road ahead of us is long and I'm sure we'll experience some bumps along the way, but if we keep trudging along well take our trips and not have to ask for seat belt extenders. Life is a journey and together we can make this trip wonderful!
  • Kittany
    Kittany Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Same shoes. I'm 30 and I have 3 kids, I want to keep up with them. It's HARD. My boyfriend is tall and thin and always has been. He's never struggled with weight, but he's trying to be sympathetic and understanding.. but it's embarassing. I don't want a seatbelt extender on the freaking airplane. I don't want to not fit into rollercoaster seats. I don't want to have my belly rest on the table in a restaurant booth. I don't want to need to rest when we go out. I'm tired of my hips hurting. I'm not even going to get into the sex part.. but that could use a change too. Bleh. I'm ready for changes. Both my parents died from diabetic related complications between 2009 and 2011. I don't want that for me and I definitely don't want my kids to see me suffer from something I could have prevented.
  • mybesttobe
    Options
    here we are. all at the same place but heading in the right direction, let's hold hands, let's think of each other, if one can do it, we all can do it. yes it's a long road but if the company's good it can be a hell of a ride. see you tomorrow!
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    mybesttobe wrote: »
    Here's the thing, I'm in mid fifties, 300 pounds and I love to travel. Can you travel at 300 pounds? Maybe some can, I can't. My knees are killing me, going up the stairs (one step at a time with 2 feet) is real torture. Walking in a room and thinking you're taking up all the space, shamed to go through a door when someone is leaning on it as you must make them get out of the way, taking so much space in a movie theatre that you don't want anyone to sit beside you, not wanting a booth in a restaurant and so many other everyday moments are hurting my self esteem... so I want to change all that and I need a buddy or group of buddies to share good and bad everyday struggles, to share an accomplishment only another 300 pound friend would understand....

Hi! I just started Jan 6, at 357. I also have really bad knees, hips, and back. (And a host of medical problems) I am 60 yr. old, and I would love to be your friend! Dinobomp (aka Diane). We can succeed!
  • dinobomp
    dinobomp Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    You have joined the right group. I so get everything you said. I hate going to a restaurant and they set the family at a booth. I quietly pray that the table can move. I love to travel too. I hate getting on an airplane because one I can't buckle the seat belt (I refuse to ask for the extension), so I bring my pillow and hold it. Then it's like you spread out into the seat next to you, so I make my kids sit on the same side as me so I can put the arm rest up. I love to play sports too but hate if I have to do any kind of running because it like all the fat is clapping. I get so embarrassed about my size. I do understand more then you know.

You can friend me if you would like. This is my second time of using MFP. I have been doing better this time with my logging my food. I was doing good posting but the last couple of weeks I have been in a slump mood. But I normally read all my post and love to read about what others are doing (sometimes it helps me with my own struggles.)

Please add me...I can't seem to get requests figured out!
  • mybesttobe
    Options
    Hi everyone, hope you had a good saturday. I did ok, stayed under my allowance today. tomorrow's plan is to cook a lean porc in slow cooker, make a meat sauce to freeze and make baked beans to freeze also . Went for my hair this morning and brought a grilled chicken no cheese from subway for dinner. All's good and 28 days and 10 pounds less, I feel really good.
  • WVMountainMamma
    WVMountainMamma Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Right there with you and in my forties! Feel free to friend me. I'm on day 5 on MFP, but have used it before. I work full time (teach), and have 1 married daughter, and 3 teens still at home.

Travel is something I want to do more, but I couldn't even think about getting on a plane.

Looking for buddies as I am basically on this journey alone.
  • mybesttobe
    Options
    You're not alone.
    Funny as I'm older, i ask for an extension, of course I'm embarrassed, even more it they forget to bring it and i need to ask a second time... but now my knees hurt so much, i would just be throwing my money up in the air. but I'm planning to get back up there by the end of the year.... why oh why do we do this to ourselves?
  • Ftw37
    Ftw37 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    I started in this forum with all the ailments and complaints you mentioned. And more. Couldn't tie my shoes. If I dropped something on the ground it was almost impossible to pick up. Wore holes in my clothes quickly. Sweated while standing. Etc.

Through a lot of help from my online and offline buddies I managed to get the weight off. I log every day if anyone wants a new buddy.
  • mybesttobe
    Options
    It's so good to hear, there's a finish line for all these very uncomfortable side effects of being obese. I feel so ashamed....Thank you for showing me a light. I'm not asking you how long it took, as that's not the important thing for me, time doesn't matter, the progression in the right direction is what I'm aiming for.
    Have a wonderful evening all!!
  • KimWW
    KimWW Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Mybesttobe, the real shame is in having these ailments and giving up. We are here because we are NOT going to give up!
  • ShannonTourne
    ShannonTourne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I am in the same boat. 40 years old, 300+. This is my second serious try with MFP. I finally feel like I've going to get this in control. I have 3 kids, and I'm tired of being tired! I have Fibromyalgia, so that adds another issue, but getting this weight off will surely help. I'm currently following a low carb plan, and keep my carbs below 50. I have noticed that keeping them low, and eating lots of healthy protein + salads, broccoli, cauliflower, etc, that I am not having the food cravings that I was experiencing. If you want, friend me, and I will be glad to be an accountability partner. Have a blessed day!