Geek Dating?

Options
eraser51
eraser51 Posts: 63 Member
Hi!

do you have any advice?

I am usually "too nice" to be boyfriend stuff and get dumped in the friendzone :/

Also where do you meet gamer girls!?

Would be interested in opinions to help my success^^

Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Well I met my husband in Everquest 2... And I know of at least 3 other couples who met in MMOs (it was never local though, so there's that). So who knows?
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Sadly for you, us gamer girls don't leave the house much. Because we're busy gaming. Personally I don't think I would be able to date someone who didn't have similar interests. They would at least have to like SOME anime or I think I would feel ashamed of my own likes. There's probably a dating site out there somewhere for geeks... My problem is that gamer/anime fan guys tend to be less confident, so they won't flirt or ask someone out unless they are sure she's interested - but I'm way too shy to ever let a guy know I'm interested because I fear rejection! Thankfully I'm still young and in no rush to get a partner.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I met my husband through WOW - he was friends with my guild leader, and one night when the guild was raiding he jumped on Vent while drunk and bothered us. I started flirting, he flirted back... the rest was history.
    -
    Check out conventions near you. We geek ladies turn out for events like that! (and usually in revealing clothing XD)
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    @marieamethyst‌ Heh, I was simliar. I met my hubbie through my WOW guild leader as well. He'd joined our guild about a month earlier, and I met him at a bqq a few weeks later. Never underestimate a guildie get together!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I met my husband through WOW - he was friends with my guild leader, and one night when the guild was raiding he jumped on Vent while drunk and bothered us. I started flirting, he flirted back... the rest was history.
    -
    Check out conventions near you. We geek ladies turn out for events like that! (and usually in revealing clothing XD)

I know a few couples that met in FFXI. Though they have not gone as far as getting married, but still are together!

The convention thing is a good idea too. Check out Sci-Fi speed dating https://www.facebook.com/scifispeeddating
    they organize events at many cons that specifically caters to speed dating our own kind.

Another idea is finding a meet up group. http://www.meetup.com/
    It can be a hit or miss depending on the population density of where you live, bigger cities of course will have more selection, so you may need to expand your search area. Some meet up groups are specific to singles and dating, but even if you find a group you like that isn't for dating, it's still a great way to go out and meet others that share similar interests as yours whether it's gaming, anime, cosplay, or other stuff.

• mangrothian
    Options
    @lacroyx I'm sorry to go so off topic, but I must say I love your avatar. I squinted and thought "is that.... it is! Teeheeheeheehee...."

I meant to say it before, but going to the cons is always a good thing. Go to enough of them, and you'll meet the same people over and over. If you have a specific geeky passion, there's probably already a cosplay group for it, and they'll always welcome more people joining them.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    @lacroyx I'm sorry to go so off topic, but I must say I love your avatar. I squinted and thought "is that.... it is! Teeheeheeheehee...."
    Oh yes, the Time Job by John Sumrow. http://www.johnsumrow.com/
    Firefly + Doctor Who mash up
    flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    I have it as my celphone case for my Samsung Galaxy S4 .

• marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    So exciting to hear about other couples who met that way! I love technology! :smiley:
  • MESestokas
    MESestokas Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    We met on match.com. 6 years and still going strong. Technology ftw!
  • rowlandsw
    rowlandsw Posts: 1,166 Member
    Options
    How i met mine is a bit convoluted lol. Started out as a friend of a friend introducing me to someone who i tried to date but i was mentally a mess and terrible to her (we're still good friends) and i ended up falling for her friend who hated me at first lol. Sadly we live a good bit apart at the moment distance and schedule wise. She's not that geeky though, i'm way more the geek when it comes to stuff.
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I'm still looking for mine... I'm a recovering gamer (hardcore EQ) that doesn't want to sit in front of the computer for hours every weekend... That's part of the reason I gained weight! I've dated gamers before but naturally we spent more time staring at the computers than each other.... So I want to find a geeky but active guy.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    kodiakke wrote: »
    I'm still looking for mine... I'm a recovering gamer (hardcore EQ) that doesn't want to sit in front of the computer for hours every weekend... That's part of the reason I gained weight! I've dated gamers before but naturally we spent more time staring at the computers than each other.... So I want to find a geeky but active guy.

I'm right there with you. Although I admit I'm reluctant to start a new MMORPG for that reason. Worried the habits will come back (to be fair, there's no MMORPG I want to play until EQ Next anyway). I was worried when Dragon Age Inquisition came out that I'd just stop exercising though, and I didn't... I just made sure to get it done first thing in the morning so I had time to play later.

Don't think I could ever get into raiding again though. It's when I stopped playing Rift that I really got into the exercising thing. I was never in the super hardcore guilds but my guilds were never hardcore enough for me and that's why I always ended up quitting.... Will still always remember EQ fondly.
  • MagJam2004
    MagJam2004 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    How about online book clubs? They aren't gamer specific, but if you meet a girl online who is reading some Robert Heinlein, or Stephen R. Donaldson, AND WANTS TO TALK ABOUT IT, you've found yourself one interesting woman. There are a ton of these groups on Facebook, so it might be worth a look.
  • j_bark
    j_bark Posts: 1,269 Member
    Options
    Meetup app. Join groups of similar interests. Meetup. Salt Lake SciFi Singles actually exists, they invite me to the group, I decline as I am not single. But they really do exist. Perhaps even where you call home.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    I feel like I'm not geeky enough to date a geek boy :( But too geeky to date a jock :(
  • mangrothian
    Options
    lacroyx wrote: »
    Oh yes, the Time Job by John Sumrow. http://www.johnsumrow.com/
    Firefly + Doctor Who mash up
    flat,550x550,075,f.jpg
    I have it as my celphone case for my Samsung Galaxy S4 .

w00t! Thank you!
    sofaking6 wrote: »
    I feel like I'm not geeky enough to date a geek boy :( But too geeky to date a jock :(

So not true. One mild mutual geeky interest is usually enough. Or at least that's what I've found.

My husband and I still both game quite a bit, we just don't do the hardcore mmo thing anymore (although we could be classified as hardcore Path of Exile players I guess). It doesn't stop us talking to each other, and there's more interaction than watching a movie together anyway (at least that how we look at it).
  • kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Hey, geeks can date jocks! We don't discriminate and we cross-species date! /ducking

I was a hardcore gamer, quad-boxing, etc... Never again. Real life is so much more interesting, not to mention rewarding.
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    sofaking6 wrote: »

So not true. One mild mutual geeky interest is usually enough. Or at least that's what I've found.

My husband and I still both game quite a bit, we just don't do the hardcore mmo thing anymore (although we could be classified as hardcore Path of Exile players I guess). It doesn't stop us talking to each other, and there's more interaction than watching a movie together anyway (at least that how we look at it).

That's encouraging :) Know any single 40-something Buffy fans?

• sarieth05
    sarieth05 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I also met my husband playing World of Warcraft (many years ago), so I think I'm terrible at giving dating advice. Especially since most of the people I knew on WoW were guys, so statistically, I was outnumbered being the only girl that usually was in the group so I tended to get a lot of flirty attention from my guildies. I would just say keep an open mind! It's no fun being friendzoned.
  • popuhvcolor
    popuhvcolor Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Sometimes you can find a girl who isn't a gamer ( not a good one like the other girls at least :wink: and who's only played Mario and Diablo lol) but would also enjoy trying or reading an awesome book while you play. Generally introvert lol.