try, try, again

Options
Hi All,
I am a retired nurse, 65 last December. I have struggled with the same 30 pounds most of my adult life. Convinced myself that this was how it was going to be. However, in the past year I have developed back problems. Also, it is really uncomfortable to have this fat around my middle. I've tracked calories here before, but never joined a group. Your group sounds welcoming and supportive.

Replies

• CrisEBTrue
    CrisEBTrue Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the group! Everyone here is very supportive and you'll be inspired by the successes of your co-participants!

By the way.. I try try again every single day. It ain't easy.

:D
  • JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi Pearl - welcome. The people here are amazing!
  • gramanana
    gramanana Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pearl. I know exactly what you mean about those 30 pounds because I've been doing the same thing. I know that logging and tracking food intake works, too. I love MFP and particularly this wonderful group of "over 60s" because we all seem to have similar issues. We can do this together.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Hi Pearl and welcome......Cris is right....we have to try every day in order to succeed.

Looking forward to hearing how well you are doing!

Jean

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Pearl, Welcome and we have all been where you are. Just keep at it, it beats the alternative of giving up and getting heavier. We all stuggle. This group is great for support, join in the Monthly chat thread, gratitude thread etc for lots of encouragement, stories of small successes along the way, etc. Never give up. Growing older is not for sissies nor quitters.
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    Options
    Pearl welcome. I have found everyone to be wonderfully supportive even when I have to start over. I actually have about 65 lbs to lose. I received the results of my mri and my knees are a mess. I have been given the ok for short slow walks so I can use the treadmill for short periods of time. So I can truly relate to your health issues but we can still do this!!
  • Myrtbbk
    Myrtbbk Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi Pearl, welcome. I'm fairly new, and find this group very supportive and friendly. I need to lose 30 lbs in order to have some reconstruction surgery following emergency surgery that resulted in an ostomy. The surgeon says it's easier for him to go through 3" of "tissue" rather than 5" and he doesn't want to risk a failure. If that happens, then I'll be stuck with this darn ostomy for ever and I sure don't want that! It's quite an incentive, that's for sure. When that's all done, I'll work on the rest of the 100 lbs I have to get rid of.
  • hayleyandpaigesgrandma
    Options
    Myrtbbk we can do this. We will all be here for you. I am trying a slightly different strategy. Sometimes the 65 lbs seems so daunting so I am making 5 lb goals instead. Log everything. That will help. Best wishes for you.
  • pearlMI
    Options
    Thanks all for the encouragement. It's such a struggle. Staying in an exercise routine seems to be the hardest part-even in retirement there is always something I can use for an excuse. I also find that goals of 5 pounds is good. Now if I could just achieve just one of them!
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pearl! These people are awesome.....
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,361 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Pearl. You'll like it here. No judgement, just encouragement.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Welcome Pearl. This is a struggle for most of us--learning new ways to eat healthy and adding exercise. As I was told when I first joined, this is a lifetime journey. Welcome aboard.
  • wandakc
    wandakc Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Hello to Pearl and all you wonderful ladies and gents!!! I'M BACK!! I followed CURVES for a while and was moderately successful. Then I crashed with a major depressive episode. I can say I am doing much better but I missed this group of successful folks that I have met here on MFP. Today is a new day and I really am striving to be successful!!
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Welcome Pearl, you have come to the right place. You will get lots of encouragement here. I really want to encourage you to follow the advice the doctor gave you so you don't get hurt. Pain is awful. I went gung-ho the first two weeks of the year walking 10,000 steps a day. I reinjured my ankle. Now I can ride a stationary bike for 20 min. a day. In two weeks I can start walking at a slow pace 1/2 mile for a week, 3/4 the next. This is hard for me to accept. I may not be able to do the 10,000 steps a day. It is what it is. My ankle doesn't hurt today for the first day in weeks. Do a little something everyday, log your food intake, and keep posting. Welcome. Joni in KY
  • SANGSTER63
    SANGSTER63 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    This my first time that I posted .I have a lot to lose and I need to . My knees are really bad.I know that if I take the weight off my knees my not hurt that much . My holidays show me how much I need to do this . I had a hard time getting around the resort.I use to mall walk an I going to start back this week doing my mall walking. I going to start slow and just add more.
  • jeanmrob
    jeanmrob Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Welcome jet ... Sounds like a good place to start ... Slowly but surely .... Also start logging everything you eat ... The two things go hand in hand towards your weight loss goal :o

Jean
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Welcome, jet - and I agree, you have made a perfect start. When I started my knees were really hurting me and now, they are pain free. I noticed a difference in pain level after only the first 10 pounds were gone. ~ Kathy
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    Jet, walking is great. Just do what you can and increase it every time you can. You'll get there. It gets easier as a few lbs go away like Kathy said. Welcome to all the returners and the newbies.
  • gramanana
    Options
    Welcome jet, Walking is great exercise...slowly. Because of my asthma, I walk about 2--2.5 mph. And sometimes if you walk just a few minutes here and there it helps, too.
  • learntolive
    learntolive Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    That is the best way to do it.