what to do when still hungry and out of calories

Options
There is something about 7 pm. Have eaten my allotted calories for the day and still hungry. One can only drink so much water to drown out the hunger pangs.

What do you do?

Replies

• sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Eat. How about an apple? Those always fill me up - lots of fiber..
  • Hischell30
    Options
    Have you tried putting fruit in your water?

It infuses the water with the flavor without the calories. Kinda tricking the mind into thinking it's had something more.

However for a long turn fix, have you tried having green apples for snacks? Their have the fiber to keep you fuller longer.

Also from my super dieting days I learned that if you eat only 6 green apples, minimal water it helps kick start your metabolism and cleans out your bowels. (When I use to do it I could lose 3 to 5 pounds in a single day). :/ not sure
  • Rebeccamom
    Rebeccamom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hot tea (flavors like peppermint) helps me! It makes me feel like I'm getting something hot in me. I don't add sugar or cream, so it's 0 calories.

Rebecca
  • beachbum4044
    beachbum4044 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    how often do you eat? are you eating 5-6 meals a day and spacing out the calories? Can you beef up your protein intake during your final meal to help you feel full longer? I have been eating as soon as I get up and then every 2.5-3 hours through out the day. I try not to eat 1 hour before bed. There are days that I don't want the afternoon snack and I move that to after dinner if needed. It just depends on my food choices of the day. My snacks are a protein (egg whites or string cheese if calories allow) and I pair it with natural applesauce, an apple or a banana. Hope that helps :)
  • johjeff
    johjeff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    You can try intermittent fasting. Have your first meal a few hours later than usual, and have your last meal 8 hours after the first. Make the last one higher in protein and fat if possible.
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    what are your calorie goals? they might be too low if you're hungry. i was never really hungry while dieting and still lost weight.
  • johjeff
    johjeff Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thought of something else too - pickles, kraut, kimchi, string beans (pickled or homemade bean salad), etc. Most cruciferous veggies are super low cal and might even be "negative" calories for all intents and purposes.
  • LuckyStar813
    LuckyStar813 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My opinion is that if you are hungry you should eat. Choose a healthy and filling snack or meal. Feeling hungry sucks and feel deprived while trying to lose weight is not fun at all. If you are feeling hungry beyond your alloted calories at the same time each day or often, during the week; you need to reassess your calories, your food choices, etc... Find a goal that fits you better.

Also being over your daily calorie goal once in a while means nothing and you won't put on extra weight instantly. Our bodies just dont work that way. If you go over and feel guilty.... add up a weeks worth of calories, divide by 7 and find your average. Chances are it's right where it's supposed to be. Don't sweat it!
  • SammyGold12
    Options
    I agree with most of the comments. Eat, be gentle with yourself, and try something different tomorrow.
  • littleandysmom
    littleandysmom Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Act II microwave popcorn....light butter ...its only 15 calories for 1 cup. :)
  • P0PTART
    P0PTART Posts: 50 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    If it's after 6pm, I'll eat a banana. It fills me up & it helps me sleep. So it's a win-win. I don't mind going over for fruit or veggies.
  • mlssalnrd
    Options
    Thanks for the great advice! As usual I am being too tight with the rules. I will try these suggestions.
  • Lindy0070
    Lindy0070 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Clean your teeth! The idea is that it will put you off wanting to eat again. Have a lovely soak in a warm bath? Just a couple of suggestions.
  • 252sarahw
    252sarahw Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    ..and if all else fails, go to bed early. That's what I do. I can always use the extra sleep and you can't eat while sleeping.
  • assateaguegirl
    Options
    I like to keep raw cut vegetables in the fridge.
  • emilymean
    emilymean Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Make some hot herbal tea and take a hot bath. Pamper yourself. If you're still hungry, eat.
  • Bookbuyer2015
    Bookbuyer2015 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It helps me to have some sugar-free (no calorie) breath mints or chew on a sprig of mint. Helps distract me from thinking about food.
  • gemma1675
    gemma1675 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Do some exercise to burn some calories then eat some more
  • vvallentyne
    vvallentyne Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I found switching to a lower carb diet helps hunger disappear.
  • yellowradiates
    yellowradiates Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I do most of what is suggested herbal tea, warm milk or almond milk, bath, go for a walk or eat. For me I have to make sure my snacks are protein and carb. 6 almonds or 4 walnuts with 4 dried apricots - apple with cheese or almond butter - cottage cheese & tomato - chopped veggie & hummus. The protein helps slow down the absorption of the carbs for me and keeps me full longer. I am not able to eat fat free products either and it has made a difference. One I saw also is paint your finger nails :-)