No Soup for you! (Ok ... you can have soup)

Options
So I was inspired by another thread for this.

I love soup. Sadly, though, I also love the convenience of those little pre-made boxes of soup from the organic aisle at the grocery store. Clean enough, maybe - but loaded with salt and a little pricey. Still, a box of soup and an apple is just the right lunch for me.

So imma try to make some homemade soups, but I need some group wisdom.

The three issues I need to overcome (I think) are convenience, variety, and not spilling soup all over my car (or, in the spring, into my bike bag).

I'm thinking I'll make one big pot of soup on the weekend and freeze that into individual containers. My hope is that after a few weeks I'll have enough variety in the freezer so I'm not having split pea every day! (Although split pea is yummy yummy! Soft carrots and ham falling off the bone! Hnng!)

I also know myself well enough that a soup needing 20 ingredients, including corn-fed free-range celery and imported albino truffles diced by the light of a new moon - well, that's just not going to happen.

Looking online for individual portion soup-tight containers, I'm seeing some pricey things like Glasslock Snapware ($10 each container), but also cheapo Ziplock screwtops. I'm hoping to go from the pot to the freezer to the microwave to my mouth with no muss or fuss.

I'm wondering if anyone here has traveled this road before and can point out the landmines!

Yum Soup!

Sammy

Replies

• Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I can make soup, but would never microwave food in plastic and then eat it. It would be healthier to use a bowl or mug in the microwave.

Soup doesn't have to be complicated although each layer of complexity does increase the flavor. If you don't use salt you have to replace flavor somewhere ... herbs, slow cooked veggies, oils. A simple soup made with rich stock and your basics: carrot, onion, celery & leaf, garlic, fresh herbs, star vegetable &/or/meat cooked just until carrots are tender is delightful.

The health food store carries bouillon cubes that are flavor bombs and either low salt or no salt.

A hand blender is a great toy for cream soups. When veggies are cooked, into the pot it goes and everything is quickly blended into a smooth gloppy base ready for almond milk, cream or thickener of choice. Eliminates dishes & is easy to clean. Sharp though, I learned the hard way.

I think the key to a good soup is the stock. I make my own saving bones, shells, veg scraps, etc. and freeze that to use. I have a big family though so that may not be practical for you.

Hope this helps.
  • crisisborn
    crisisborn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    pressure cooker and stick blender are the best soup tools
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Love me some homemade soup!!
    Have you tried mason jars for storage and travel?

Nothing says mmm mmm good like a homemade soup from start to finish! I finally invested in a large stock pot and make my own chicken and beef stock- I like being able to control the ingredients. Cooking larger batches gives me a base for our favorites. I freeze larger portions as a soup starter and smaller 2 cup batches for cooking. Once cooled, I pull most of the fat off the top, so it's a low fat, low sodium broth, ready to use. No more store bought!!

It sounds like a lot of work, but is a time saver and so much healthier in the end. Next time you roast a chicken, save the carcass, add rough chopped veggies, water and seasoning, then simmer till veggies soften, strain and store. Voila, chicken stock! Or you can develop immediately into a chicken vegetable soup by removing carcass, pull any meat off and use in soup, add precooked/ leftover noodles, rice, or whatever grains you might prefer for a heartier meal.

Bon appetite!

• rendress269
    Options

While prepping my veggies today, I threw a pot of chicken stock together using some frozen chicken pieces I had on hand. Strained and waiting for it to cool now so I can remove fat, then freeze.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options
    Do you freeze stock in glass jars?
  • rendress269
    Options
    Do you freeze stock in glass jars?

Yes, the wide mouth variety of Ball are freezer safe, specific guidelines on their website. This is the first time I'm using them in the freezer. I always used plastic in the past, but the containers are too big and I wind up wasting so much. Hoping these portions are better for us.

• SammyGold12
    Options
    These are great ideas! I feel inspiration coming on! Thanks to all!

Never thought about the issue of plastic in the microwave. I'll go with glass. And the mason jars are a good idea. BTW I learned from bad experience not to overfill the mason jars for the freezer - and to leave the lids on loosely until they freeze a bit. What a mess!

I happen to be roasting a turkey this week. I'll give the homemade stock another go with the carcass.

Soups on!

Sammy
  • rendress269
    Options
    Thought of you SammyGold12 while heating up leftover White bean & kale chicken soup . Found a basic recipe on line and tweaked it.

• SammyGold12
    Options
    Yum! That looks scrumptious!
  • ArleneMobley
    ArleneMobley Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I tried a Mexican Lentil soup from our natural health food store the other day. It was good, but even better when I added a couple tablespoons of spicy hummus! I am going to experiment and make my own; divide into portions and freeze. I freeze in plastic but do not eat from microwaved plastic.
  • Notreadytoquit
    Options
    My family is not on board with healthy eating. They would be surprised to know I add beans, barley & millet, etc. (for me) when they're not looking. Hah!
  • jazzyjez
    jazzyjez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Easy easy soups:
    - saute the onion,
    - add broth (I just use store bought if I don't have stock, which is usually.)
    - add medium chunks of broccoli,
    - simmer until veggie is soft,
    - blend.
    Cream of Broccoli soup! (without the cream calories!)

Or sub in butternut squash.

Season to taste. You can jazz up with spices, but I enjoy the simple clean flavor. Don't over cook broccoli or it will get bitter.

I'm enjoying Jamie Oliver's minestrone right now! :) A few more ingredients though...