Cold feet!

Options
What does everyone use to keep their feet warm on rides? I have tried 2 pairs of socks ect and wear neoprene overshoes but my feet still get cold after about 15 miles! My shoes are too big for me but I always thought that was better than being to tight! Help please...

Replies

• jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    The best I've found is 1 pair of thin synthetic socks under a pair of thicker wool socks, then some type of bootie to protect from wind/water. Winter riding shoes also help.
  • Scudder76
    Scudder76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I've found it's pretty much a requirement to include temperature ranges for these kinds of topics. Also, for what it's worth, I think I have I have colder-than average toes and fingers.

I start with the toe caps once the temps are averaging in the 60s. This is when I also cover the vents on the soles of my shoes with electrical tape.

As temps run into the low-50s and below I use a mid-weight wool sock and lighter weight bootie.

This winter I wanted to ride in lower temperatures, and bought Gore's insulated windblocker bootie, but it hasn't really solved the issue below mid-30's. I bought a pair of neoprene socks to try, but we've had a month of snow and ice since they arrived, so they remain untested.

I'd love to get winter shoes, but was avoiding the expense. I may have been penny wise and pound foolish there...

Hope that helps.
  • Spatialized
    Spatialized Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Once the temp hits 40Fish I'm pulling out the wool socks, when it drops into the teens (or below) I rock a thin wool sock (Twin Six/Sock Guy) under a thicker wool sock. Feet are a bit chilly when I roll into work but never painfully cold. That said, I'm riding in skate style shoes on platforms and not at as fast of pace as many so your results may be different. I also found that when my calves are warm, my feet stay warmer.
  • Just_Ceci
    Just_Ceci Posts: 5,926 Member
    Options
    Toe warmers:
    grabber-toe-warmers.jpg

• ntnunk
    ntnunk Posts: 936 Member
    Options
    A cheap windbreaker: put your socks on, wrap the front of your feet with aluminum foil, then put shoes on. Keeps heat in and wind out. Good luck!
  • Lukejacksmum
    Lukejacksmum Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I have just ordered some woolie boolies from wiggle so will see if they help.
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    ntnunk wrote: »
    A cheap windbreaker: put your socks on, wrap the front of your feet with aluminum foil, then put shoes on. Keeps heat in and wind out. Good luck!

I put socks on, then a couple of food freezer bags over the front of my feet inside the shoes. If it's really cold, I then stick a pair of neoprene overshoes on ;)

The 'aluminium foil' approach is the same I believe...
  • TheBigYin
    TheBigYin Posts: 5,683 Member
    Options
    it's even better Clive, as the foil also slightly reflects heat back inwards... it's only marginal, ut as the well known supermarket advert says "every little helps".
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone :) I have just ordered some woolie boolies from wiggle so will see if they help.

Woolie Boolies are great!! Defeet also makes a thinner pair of wool socks so if it's really cold, say mid 30's or below, I wear the thinner socks then the Woolie Boolies over the top. Then neoprene overshoes on top of my cycling shoes. That setup is good for at least 4 hours at those temps for me.
  • Lukejacksmum
    Options
    veloman21 wrote: »

Woolie Boolies are great!! Defeet also makes a thinner pair of wool socks so if it's really cold, say mid 30's or below, I wear the thinner socks then the Woolie Boolies over the top. Then neoprene overshoes on top of my cycling shoes. That setup is good for at least 4 hours at those temps for me.

Thank you veloman ;) I rode 23 miles today(still very cold with snow about) in my new woolie boolies and my feet were toastie, so I am very happy :D
  • Lukejacksmum
    Options
    I have to say my socks had such a difference!! Love them x
  • ToughMudderAddict
    ToughMudderAddict Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Just ordered a pair of Woolie Boolies after reading through this post. I can't wait to get them in the mail! I froze my feet off last year riding to work, none of that this year.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have a variety of socks. The Woolie's are the ones I go to when it gets really cold.
  • veloman21
    veloman21 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Also if you're doing a long ride in really cold temps, you can use some adhesive toe warmers that stick to your socks. They last for a good 5 hrs or so . Look for the grabber or toasti toe brands
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Got an email advertising today that LongsCycle dot com has Woolie Boolies on sale for $7 a pair.
  • lpherman01
    lpherman01 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    it's even better Clive, as the foil also slightly reflects heat back inwards... it's only marginal, ut as the well known supermarket advert says "every little helps".
    And if you put some aluminum foil in your helmet, they can't read your thoughts.
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    got that covered already

index.jpg
  • dolcezza72
    dolcezza72 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ^^^ LOVE IT!! You are a nut, Mark!
    ON that note... I too, will order the Wollie Boollies! Thanks for suggestion!
  • cloggsy71
    cloggsy71 Posts: 2,208 Member
    Options
    TheBigYin wrote: »
    Tried this & wasn't a fan; took me ages to get all the fragments of tin foil out of my shoes that had flaked off... I'll stick to the 'bag' method I think ;)
  • TheBigYin
    Options
    If you can find it Clive, there's a brilliant thing called "cinefoil" - It's something that photographers / movie lighting men use for creating "light shapers" on the front of lamps... it's basically matt-black aluminium foil, but around 4x the thickness of the typical "bacofoil" stuff... so you can actually mould it to the inside of the shoe, put the footbed back in place, and it'll stay there.