Hello! Anyone else nursing? How are you compensating for it?

Options
gwynne79
gwynne79 Posts: 18 Member
I am trying MFP out to see how i like it. I was using a different app, and liked it, but if fell short in a couple areas, so i am trying this one out to see what i think. I got way to lax during the holiday season and my weight went all the way up to 220. I was feeling like crap, so i made THE New Years resolution. I am now at 200 and i want to get down to 170. I have my heart set on a couple cute sundresses that I told myself I would buy if i stuck to the resolution and made my goal. I am a stay at home mom of two little girls, 2 years and 8 months. We live in the country, so a fitness gym is not gonna happen. I love to walk but with babies i have to be careful of the cold, and the heat, and the wind.
I am wondering what others are doing to compensate for nursing. I know it is about 500 calories, and that i am not supposed to get below 1500 calories for the day. Right now i am telling the app that i am running about 3.5 miles a day so that it gives me the 500. I was wondering if anyone had a better idea?

Replies

• bexxgirl
    bexxgirl Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I have just changed my goal calories manually to incorporate an extra 500 cals. It's not ideal, because MFP tells you you'll gain weight, but if you can cope with that, it makes tracking simpler!
  • mythreearrows
    mythreearrows Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing my 7 month old as well & get irritated that these fitness/weightloss apps don't take that into consideration in some way. I mean, I would imagine a large percentage of people wanting to lose weight are moms with new babies &/or young children, and some of those women breastfeed. Anyways, I just add the extra 500 on my own... In my head, I guess. Lol. Congrats on the breastfeeding & weight lost! I'm starting at 192, with an end goal of 140. Wish me luck!!
  • thelolliemonster
    thelolliemonster Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I created my own cardio exercise and named it breastfeeding.. 10 minutes and 500 calories burned! Lol!
  • gwynne79
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah the weightloss mostly just happened because i stopped eating fudge :blush: Now on to the real work. Thanks for the great ideas!
  • azarabin
    Options
    Hallo I am a mom of a four month baby and breastfeeding.I just seem to be postponing starting a diet but I have finally decided to start loosing the weight I gained during my pregnancy at this point I weigh 187 pounds and my goal is to reach my previous weight of 150 pounds.
  • lreaven
    lreaven Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am nursing too and just added an extra 500 calories to my goal also. I agree that it is weird that the app keeps telling me I am going to gain weight, but it keeps me motivated!
  • MsRiehl
    MsRiehl Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    If you search Breastffeding under Foods there is an option for 500 infants or 300 for toddlers. It adds it (well, subtracts it as it is a negative amount) to your calories.
  • gwynne79
    Options
    MsRiehl wrote: »
    If you search Breastffeding under Foods there is an option for 500 infants or 300 for toddlers. It adds it (well, subtracts it as it is a negative amount) to your calories.
    Really! I will have to check that out! Thanks!
  • lucyh6773
    lucyh6773 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I've just added it as exercise 60 minutes 500 calories
  • kellybabe05
    kellybabe05 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'm nursing a 15 month old. Been stuck in the 150s for a few months. Bah.
  • GoldieSlob
    Options
    Well I'm nursing full time a 5 month old. Maybe its just me, but if I were to add extra 500 calories just for nursing I definitely would not see any results. I started the app when my baby was 2 months and I weighed 195, now I am 171, trying to get to 150. For real results, if you want to add calories do it through exercise, then you're sure you're doing it right.
  • jenwardy
    jenwardy Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I'm in the uk so I'm not sure if the advice is different to the USA. I'm exclusively breastfeeding my 3 month old and my doctor said not to eat less than 1800 calories a day as a minimum. I've been eating around that amount and losing 3lbs a week which i am soooo pleased about. I love the fact i can eat more and still lose weight.
  • krystalsourwine
    krystalsourwine Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I created my own cardio exercise and named it breastfeeding.. 10 minutes and 500 calories burned! Lol!

I did the same thing! Lol I am currently nursing a 4 week old and hasn't been cleared yet for workouts. So I've been watching my intake and praying the 500 is real lol