TEMPTATIONS ~ What are your temptations and how did you or how are you going to deal with it?

Options
TheJourneybyT
TheJourneybyT Posts: 122 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
Are you tempted by certain foods? Breads? Desserts? Evening snacking? Social events: holiday's, birthday, church, relatives house? People you live with tempting you? Munching while doing something: watching tv, at the computer, at work? Is there tempting food at work? Being out with friends? Do you live with another family member that has tempting food in the house?

Replies

• TheJourneybyT
    Options
    Many of the above list apply to me. Let me start with.... my husband is not overweight and has never been overweight. He has been supporting me by not having food that temps me in our home instead he has "types" of things that I don't like... cookies with cream or peanut butter, any chips that have cheese on them, etc. Our 20 yr old 6'3" son lives with us (in college to be a Radiologist) he regularly brings home ice cream in flavors that I don't like. When our son did bring home Pillsbury cinnamon rolls and make them so they smelled up the whole house ~ I had him take them upstairs, out of the kitchen and out of my sight!
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    I live alone struggle with not being accountable to anyone. Evening snacking is my worst. My reason for joining this group! :D I also work with younger staff who are always going out for lunch or bringing food in. I decided to come home and spend my lunch hour with my dog so I am not tempted with what they have. I also have to attend board meetings in the evening where a meal is served, I intend to bring my own from now on. As well as holidays, meals with friends, etc.
  • bethlauren8
    bethlauren8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I live with my 13 year old son. I buy snacks for him that I don't care for, and "healthy" snacks for me. I make sure to portion out my snacks - it is way too easy to eat an entire bag of chips!! I was desperately craving chips and dip recently. I bought Special K Cracker Chips (30/110cal), made onion dip, and portioned out 10 chips and a tablespoon of dip. It satisfied the craving and I still have plenty left. I will admit I'd like to eat it non-discriminately, but I have learned that if I give in within reason it is satisfying on many more levels. I find that being in a group also helps hold you accountable - you know you are not alone.
  • TheJourneybyT
    Options
    Events ~ there will always be another event: a holiday, birthday, food at work, work luncheons/dinners, donuts at church, weddings, potlucks etc. You could use Lily's tip of not attending (going home for lunch) or bring her own food, Other tips are to plan what is available at the event that fits into your plan, eat before the event, keep water or a drink in your hand, focus on the conversations rather then the food, don't stand around by the food, are there any other tips to handle social events?
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    With Super Bowl coming up I'm sure many people will be going to parties. Since they tend to last for hours avoiding the food may be difficult, and unless you know what is being served, planning your meal is difficult too. I intend to eat light beforehand, make sure I get my walk in so there are extra calories to play with if I want them, and try to eat in moderation. (Way easier said than done!) I also like to bring something I know will be good like a veggie tray or fresh fruit, but I accept that I will give in to a few "bad" foods and don't beat myself up for it. I also don't drink so there are no empty calories.
  • TheJourneybyT
    Options
    EXCELLENT bethlauren8, great strategies. We live in Washington State so of course, Seahawk's fans. We will be hosting the party so I can control what's served here but not what everyone else is bringing. I'm going to follow your lead and exercise before hand.

I do think that I can eat anything I want to but have told myself that if I choose to eat something not on my plan... I'm going to enjoy a few bites, slowly to savor it, so I don't gobble down a ton (like usual). I will also be practicing NOT hanging around the food tables, always having water, diet pop, or ice tea in my hand.

I too don't drink (my mom and sisters are all alcoholic's (thankfully with years of not drinking due to treatment and AA) so I have stayed away from alcohol my whole life, many people have asked me, "you haven't had a beer? not even one?" needless to say - no). I am not opposed to people who choose to drink ~ they're are tons of people who enjoy beer, wine etc and they are not alcoholics.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    Congrats to your family for taking those very hard steps. I drank enough when I was "young and wild" T, I don't need to anymore, although I do have around 3-4 drinks a year on special occasions. I'm not rooting for either team, I just plan on enjoying good football. I know that the database has so many foods listed that I will be able to calculate just what I can have without being horrible. Plus, if I am horrible, I will make up for it on Monday with a fresh start. Sunday morning is my weigh in anyway - when I did WW it was funny how many of us considered the weigh in day to be an eat what you want day after the scale!! I won't do that, but still, old habits... LOL ;)
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    My hubby and I go to brunch Sunday's. He always asks where can you eat? I've found I can pretty much eat anywhere. Just not McDonald's or jack's. The key is to think your day through and moderate intake. If there are chips I put 2-3 on my plate with veggies. Most everyone has a veggie tray at get togethers. Maybe 1-2 hot wings etc. I try to make my plate look full so no one says "aren't you gonna eat? Try this" you know how it is. Seems like when people know you're watching your weight they try to sabotage you(not intentionally) but they try to be helpful "you can have just a little" and so on. I try not to talk about it too much so as not to bring attention.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    Oh yes, the "Try this" people!! Thinking your day through is definitely key - a little harder for parties, but doable. I don't know what I will eat yet, but I do know I will enjoy myself!
  • monyokks
    monyokks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get so angry at the "try this" people!! I work with people who do NOT eat healthy, so I don't dare eat when our work has lunches --- there's NEVER anything healthy, and EVERYTHING has cheese and gluten (which I can't eat). I bring my lunch and eat by myself (working in school system I NEED that 25 minutes of peace and quiet). I have a coworker who would say, "I'm bringing up a plate of sweets and eating it in front of you so you'll try some". I told her that was really mean to say (she is 10 years older than me and THIN) and I asked her if she'd do the same to an alcoholic. Got my point across because she doesn't say this anymore. I've tried to bring healthier options, but they usually don't get eaten --- healthy salads, quinoa salads (they did try this), etc.
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    I had a sweet craving this past weekend so when doing groceries I purchased a single piece of cheesecake which was 260 calories...it was a smaller piece than I would normally have eaten but since it is my favorite dessert I enjoyed every mouthful, it satisfied my craving and was within my daily calorie count! A + all around!
  • TheJourneybyT
    Options
    Monyokks ~ my husband is a teacher, a big bowl of mini candy bars, etc. is kept available at all times for the staff. Countless cupcakes, donuts, etc etc etc is brought in. He takes his lunch everyday too! Good for you for taking your lunch and for talking to your coworker so she understands that really was mean.

Lilyandree59 ~ A+
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    I have worked in schools for a long time now, and it is true that snacks and bad foods are pervasive. I am lucky that I have co-workers who compliment me when I decline rather than try to goad me into eating. Our principal just had cake and ice cream for her birthday and we all were asked to go and sing, but I politely declined the plate that was offered me. This morning a co-worker came in, prefaced her conversation by saying "they made me come tell you" and then said the asst. principal had donuts in her room. She knew I would say no, and I knew she meant no harm. We also have socials every month. Usually it is an ice cream sundae social, but this month (today actually), it is a salad social! I am looking forward to it. I would like to think that Monyokks co-worker was not trying to be mean and instead was really just ignorant - people who have never struggled will never truly understand the struggle -even when told.
  • monyokks
    monyokks Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You're right, bethlauren8 --- if you've never struggled with something, it would be difficult to understand. There ARE a few who are eating healthier the last few weeks, so maybe our potlucks will get healthier.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    School secretary came in today to offer us cookies - they looked so yummy! When she asked do you want one I said yes, but I won't have one. So proud of myself. Of course I thought afterwards that I could have cut it in half or fourths, but I already had my snacks planned for the school day and that was not one of them!
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    Isn't it a good feeling when you stick to the plan! Way to avoid temptation bethlauren!
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    Thank you Lilyandree. Not only that, but there were 2 boxes of Krispy Kremes in the break room where I went to heat up my lunch and some were already cut into halves and fourths and I still didn't have it! It did feel good.
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Good job bethlauren! It is hard to resist temptation! I've been doing okay but I know my weaknesses are going to rear their ugly head someday but I'm ready. I just wish my back would get better so I can exercise. This is my first week at the lower calorie goal and it sucks cuz I can't exercise. I was hoping to lose a little more than 1 lb a week. I've stayed under just missed 2 days of exercise so we'll see.
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    It was a coworker's birthday on Friday and a chocolate cake was brought in...chocolate!!!!! I decided to have a small piece but put it in my tracker right away and then planned the rest of my day with what I had left. I stayed within calorie goals that day! So proud of myself! This is my ultimate goal...live and enjoy but don't over indulge.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    Kheinl, there are simple strength exercises you can do just sitting in a chair that shouldn't strain your back, and will help build muscle which helps speed metabolism. You should google 'sit to be fit' exercises, or 'exercises for people with bad backs'. I'm sure you can find something helpful. And, either way, losing a pound a week is still losing a pound a week - which is way better than gaining a pound a week!! ;)

Good for you Lilyandree! I really wanted a piece of the donut, and could have put it in and accounted for it, but I know I had a not so good eating week and was trying to stay low. Knowing what we can, and can't, eat is a big part of our learning process and you are doing great!