Improving Stamina

Options
AllanMisner
AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
So, my body (minus the body fat) is built for sprints (short bursts of power), which makes me able to gain strength and put on muscle mass relatively easily. I can do long distance but I have to slow way, way down. If I do some heavy lifts, I often find I can’t immediately go on to something else without getting gassed.

Our box tends to program a warmup, a strength or skills session, and then a WOD. I’m finding that when it is warm up, strength, then WOD, and the strength portion is big muscles (squats and/or deadlifts), I completely bonk during the WOD. I just don’t seem to have the stamina in that middle ground between sprint and long (10 - 20 minute WODs at full pace).

Today, I tried taking some BCAA before and during the strength portion of the workout. Granted the strength was strict press (three sets, heavy 5 reps) and squats (two sets, light 5 reps), but I made it through an 18 minute AMRAP without bonking.

I’m not selling anything, but just wanted to check if anyone else uses BCAA this way. Or do you have other tricks to improve stamina for those longer, intense WODS?

Replies

• bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Having just started Eat To Perform, maybe you aren't eating enough carbs to fuel yourself through the full workout?

Or maybe look at some mid-distance intervals (400 or 800m) and make sure the pace is uncomfortable (but not impossible) the whole time.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Most of the WODs that include running have a 400 - 800 in them (one or more).
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    Right, but that's a bit different than doing straight interval work, as you're holding a bit back for whatever comes after the run (at least that's how I do it)
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I’m not really holding back too much, but enough to finish that run. I’m already moving slower than everyone else, even though it is my all out. I scale, but that doesn’t always help me go much faster.

On an EMOM, I get rests and while I seldom fully recover, it helps (some EMOMs I am just finishing something before starting the next). These are more like intervals, but I get less and less rest as a fatigue (which is the opposite of what my body wants).

AMRAPs are just a constant go, go, go (although I do sometimes build in a walk between by doing bar movements a distance from the rack, or being further from the door for the run). Because everyone is stopping at the same time, it doesn’t stand out that I didn’t get many rounds done.

It is the RFT that kick my *kitten*. I’m pushing to move as fast as I can because this is the one where it becomes apparent I’m moving much slower than everyone else. Many times, I get gassed and can’t fully complete certain movements without a break. This is where I really want/need more stamina.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m seeing good progress in strength and skill. It is just lacking the stamina to put those to work in a quick and steady fashion to get through a WOD with a respectable score (time/rounds).
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I hear ya man. I'm the same. I'm usually near the end in finishing, though these days I chalk that up to doing much of the barbell movements Rx where many folks who finish ahead of me scale, and probably should not be scaling.
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I also usually do the Rx weight if I know I can pull off the number of reps. The primary exception is RFT for the reasons I noted above.
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    I'm absolutely the same. I smash our skills and strenght and then often flake during the WOD towards the end. For me I am trying to build on my lifts so tend to go quite heavy for our strenght portion. My cardio has always been crap so no surprises that it's the hardest part of the work out for me. I tried having Bio-Complete prior to working out but didn't make a difference. I am going to try a new one called C4 Extreme which some people I know of take - maybe that will give me the extra boost I need.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    So last night's WOD was 8RFT. 1 Rope climb, 10 kb swings, 20 walking lunges. Scaled the rope to six knees to elbows. The last round about killed me. Our coach did the last two rounds of lunges with me. I snuck in right under the 20 minute time cap. I hadn't pushed myself that hard in a while and felt like I was right at the end of limit when we finished. First four rounds took eight minutes, the last four took almost twelve. Stamina is still an issue for me too but I'm sure just losing weight will make a big difference even if I made no cardiovascular improvements.
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I think BCAAs are awesome! I usually take some before walking in the box, and immediately after the WOD. There are some people at my box that drink BCAA throughout the warm up, strength, and WOD; it has been known to help. If you think it helps you after burning your muscles after the strength before the WOD, I say why not!

BCAAs stimulate protein synthesis and work in your favor to reduce the rate of protein breakdown. http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/bcaas-the-many-benefits-of-amino-acids.html

I up by BCAAs when I'm on a calorie restriction so I don't lose muscle mass.

Happy WODing! :)
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    Today was my second WOD with BCAAs. Still too early to tell for sure, particularly since each of them were AMRAPS and the strength/skill portion was not heavy. I start sipping on the BCAA about 15 minutes before and keep working on it through the warmup and strength/skill portions. We’ll see how it goes.
  • becam01
    becam01 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I used to take BCAAs during my workouts when training for a half ironman in October of last year. Haven't taken any ever since and started long distance workouts again shortly after the new year but without it. I must say that the struggle has been real. I know I've put some weight on after the holidays but I didn't think it was going to be this hard building up stamina again with no supplements.

I wasn't a big fan of the taste but once I mixed up with some Gatorade I could hardly tell there was anything in it.
  • Inkratlet
    Inkratlet Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    I take BCAA's during the strength work too. I'm another slow and strong type - I just can't blast through a workout like some people. Accepting my weakness and pacing myself helps. No more trying to keep up with everyone else and burning out in the first 5 minutes of a 10 min AMRAP
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    I do much better on short WODs, although I have a lot of stamina for multiple lifting workouts in a day. So my problem is somewhat different. I recover easily and can start again but I need recovery time within a WOD.

Sometimes I do an hour of oly before my regular skill and WOD. But, give me something like Filthy Fifty or 12 Days of Christimas and I'm one of the slowest. I'm usually the fastest woman on an 8 minute WOD and one of the slowest on a 30 minute WOD. :) For me, I'm working on creating my own intervals within a WOD. Go hard, rest briefly, etc. to build capacity. A lot of programs like Outlaw use max effort and recovery in their conditioning segments during portions of the year to build that capacity. I also start out slower and steady on AMRAPs and then go all out on the last 20%. This has been helping me pick up the pace quite a bit. It has taken 6 months or so to see a marked improvement. I'm still not seeing a ton of improvement on 25-30 minute WODS but I am seeing a big difference on mid-range WODs. Now I am able to successfully be in the pack or towards the top on 15-17 minute WODS. Bit by bit...

That being said, we don't run in the winter due to all the snow and ice. We do a ton of DU's, rowing, box jumps, wall balls, etc. I will probably be eating my words when running starts again in April. Running 400+ does gas me in a WOD. I'm actually quite worried to resume running again and maybe will start doing treadmill sprints on my own to prepare.

I have taken BCAA's pre-WOD but have not seen any difference. For me, creatine pre-WOD makes a big difference though, as does eating 50 grams of carbs before. I usually get in some caffeine as well (but I'm a caffeine junkie).
  • Mummyadams
    Mummyadams Posts: 1,125 Member
    Options
    can someone explain the difference between BCAA's and Creatine for a pre-wod shot?

Thanks
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    BCAA is Branch Chain Amino Acids, which are the basic building blocks of protein, the most essential part of it. Creatine is a substrate of the basic energy source within a muscle. So, one is about providing the building blocks of muscle building. The other is about providing maximum energy to a muscle action.
  • bostonwolf
    Options
    I do much better on short WODs, although I have a lot of stamina for multiple lifting workouts in a day. So my problem is somewhat different. I recover easily and can start again but I need recovery time within a WOD.

Sometimes I do an hour of oly before my regular skill and WOD. But, give me something like Filthy Fifty or 12 Days of Christimas and I'm one of the slowest. I'm usually the fastest woman on an 8 minute WOD and one of the slowest on a 30 minute WOD. :) For me, I'm working on creating my own intervals within a WOD. Go hard, rest briefly, etc. to build capacity. A lot of programs like Outlaw use max effort and recovery in their conditioning segments during portions of the year to build that capacity. I also start out slower and steady on AMRAPs and then go all out on the last 20%. This has been helping me pick up the pace quite a bit. It has taken 6 months or so to see a marked improvement. I'm still not seeing a ton of improvement on 25-30 minute WODS but I am seeing a big difference on mid-range WODs. Now I am able to successfully be in the pack or towards the top on 15-17 minute WODS. Bit by bit...

That being said, we don't run in the winter due to all the snow and ice. We do a ton of DU's, rowing, box jumps, wall balls, etc. I will probably be eating my words when running starts again in April. Running 400+ does gas me in a WOD. I'm actually quite worried to resume running again and maybe will start doing treadmill sprints on my own to prepare.

I have taken BCAA's pre-WOD but have not seen any difference. For me, creatine pre-WOD makes a big difference though, as does eating 50 grams of carbs before. I usually get in some caffeine as well (but I'm a caffeine junkie).

This is me to a T. If we are doing a partner WOD I kill it. Give me two minutes to recover as we switch off and I can go for a LONG time. Having to do my own work the whole time and maintaining my heartrate at a high level....no so much. For example the WOD last week where we I did 8 rounds of 6 K2E, 10 swings, 20 walking lunges....utter toast. Our coach did the last two sets of lunges with me or honestly I might have tapped out.

That said, I never dodge those workouts because I know they will work one of my biggest weaknesses like nothing else.

• AllanMisner
    Options
    This week has been a little better. I’m still doing the BCAA and today I also had a banana beforehand (that seemed to help a lot).

But I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m the type of crossfitter who, when you’re trapped under a car, will pull the car off of you. The others will run around the car and jump on top for a 20 minute AMRAP.
  • kwoww9797
    kwoww9797 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Have you tried any pre-workout supplement? Something with a little caffeine?
  • AllanMisner
    Options
    I usually have a couple of cups of coffee before I head out. I wake up around 4am for the 5am class.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    This week has been a little better. I’m still doing the BCAA and today I also had a banana beforehand (that seemed to help a lot).

But I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m the type of crossfitter who, when you’re trapped under a car, will pull the car off of you. The others will run around the car and jump on top for a 20 minute AMRAP.

That's amazing. I love it.