Anemia

Options
loriloftness
loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
Has anyone had to deal with anemia post surgery? To clarify, I was a little bit anemic before surgery too, and have been on and off my whole adult life. Prior to surgery I took a slow-release iron pill and never had a problem with it. After surgery, the nurse for my dr told me they want me to take a pill called Vitron C, which is iron & vitamin C. I took that for a week but it did not sit well in my stomach. At the risk of TMI, I burped up iron flavor for hours after taking it. I want to go back to my slow-release iron pill because I didn't have this problem with it. This week is the first week that I am really dragging and I know it is the anemia catching up so I need to get it in check again. I'm going to call my dr to see if I can switch but wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

Replies

• dsjsmom23
    dsjsmom23 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am currently dealing with this. My doctor has me on a prescribed iron supplement to help, and my gynecologist has put me on birth control pills to help as well (My periods are out of control. Last one was 26 days long - sorry TMI)
    i'm in Canada though, so i'm sure what i'm taking is different than what you have.
    It does suck, and it's starting to affect me. I am beyond tired. I am totally wiped out.
    I hope to start feeling better soon! I've been on my new pills for about a week now, and i'm seeing my gyn next week to up my BCPs since these ones clearly aren't working! LOL
    Hope you can find something that works for you!
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Please work with your Dr on the iron there is several choices for the anemia. The iron pill can also cause constipation. Supplemental iron can also be a injection.

Randy RN
  • bonitadonita
    Options
    I totally understand what you are going through. I had my sleeve done in 2008 and I have been suffering from anemia for years. Within the last 2 years, it really got out of control and my periods were non-stop. I tried several different alternatives but ultimately I wound up having a hysterectomy, hoping my anemia would get under control. Well early december I had to have a few medical procedures and I found out my iron was still too low. I really don't eat red meat (I love it, I just can't digest it well), so the Dr. informed me that either I work on my iron intake or the next step would be blood transfusions. With that being said, my husband started making sure I took my low dosage iron daily. Now I am up to 2 pills a day (still working on getting to 3 a day), but I noticed such a big difference with my energy and how I feel.