New to clean eating

Options
Hi, I'm new to this group and new to clean eating. Would love some tips and ideas for new recipes to try :-)

Replies

• astridtheviking
    astridtheviking Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Hey, I’m new to this group too, but I’ve been clean eating more or less a year or so? Unfortunately I can’t clean eat 24/7 because I live with my parents and while they eat healthy they also serve a lot of meals I wouldn’t prepare for myself. :/ Oh well.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    One tip is, if you aren't already, get comfortable with spices. Processed foods are generally heavy on salt and sugar. When you start making your own meals, they'll taste bland without spice. However, with a variety of spices, they're much better than processed foods.
    I like some type of ground meat (grass fed beef, lamb...) with cauliflower, red cabbage, and green cabbage. Add your spices in the meat while it cooks; then add the vegetables before it's quite done. The vegetables will cook in the nutrient rich grease and absorb the flavor. After it's cooked, I throw some berries on top for extra flavor.
    I hope you enjoy this recipe.
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I am also new here! Hopefully we can learn together! I've got to shake up my habits!!
  • medix1122
    Options
    My family and I started eating clean 4 weeks ago. I follow Lisa Leakes 100 Days of Real Food. She has great recipes and their is alot of support on her FB page along with inspiration! I feel great and so far have lost 4.5 pounds. I gave up pop and coffee with no regrets :D
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    great job on the coffee elimination.....my one vice I can't seem to shake.
  • medix1122
    Options
    I switched to black and green tea by Tetley. It wasn't hard because I still get the caffiene.
  • crisisborn
    crisisborn Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    how is clean eating defined in this group? I avoid most sugars (especially fructose) unless combined with fiber and also limit processed foods. I keep to organic/local when I can.
  • jbbrac
    jbbrac Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am also new to this group and have been clean eating for about a week. I use Clean Eating Online which gives you free
  • sschiano1987
    sschiano1987 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »

That's my problem as well. I don't know if it's the coffee that's the bad part of the sweeteners. Almost everything else I consume it so clean I don't get why I can't quit the coffee
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »

That's my problem as well. I don't know if it's the coffee that's the bad part of the sweeteners. Almost everything else I consume it so clean I don't get why I can't quit the coffee

yep, I know I am addicted. If I don't have a cup in the morning, I have a headache all day. I am going to drink less on Monday. Just one cup and see how that affects me. Also half of the sugar. sschiano1987 you in with me? hahaha....I need a partner in crime...I will tell you how I do the day after.
  • CoachKatya
    CoachKatya Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    When I talk to my clients about clean eating I go over a few rules:

1. The list of ingredients on the package should be short. No more than 3 - 5 ingredients, all of which you can recognize. No carrageenan, sodium benzoate, EDTA, etc..
    2. The more whole foods you can incorporate into your diet the better. When things are isolated, altered, etc. the natural balance is lost.
    3. Whole foods are usually those that do not have ingredients. They are ingredients :smile:
    4. The simpler the food the better it is for you.
    5. No added sugar! (read statement #2) It includes HFCS, cane sugar, evaporated cane juice, ets. I recommend using dates, and maple syrup to sweeten your food from time to time :smile:
    6. No artificial sweeteners. They are not better than sugar. They are worse! Much worse!
    7. No sodas... Water and herbal teas are the best liquids to consume.

Overall going back to nature in terms of natural real food is always going to benefit your health. It takes sometime to develop new habits, but it is SO rewarding! Your body will thank you! Here is my blog with clean recipes you can try: http://wellnesswithkatya.com/category/recipes/
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Why cut out coffee? It doesn't have that many calories, right? How's a cup of coffee in the morning with a splash of soy milk?
  • mom2atw
    Options
    CoachKatya wrote: »

1. The list of ingredients on the package should be short. No more than 3 - 5 ingredients, all of which you can recognize. No carrageenan, sodium benzoate, EDTA, etc..
    2. The more whole foods you can incorporate into your diet the better. When things are isolated, altered, etc. the natural balance is lost.
    3. Whole foods are usually those that do not have ingredients. They are ingredients :smile:
    5. No added sugar! (read statement #2) It includes HFCS, cane sugar, evaporated cane juice, ets. I recommend using dates, and maple syrup to sweeten your food from time to time :smile:
    6. No artificial sweeteners. They are not better than sugar. They are worse! Much worse!

Overall going back to nature in terms of natural real food is always going to benefit your health. It takes sometime to develop new habits, but it is SO rewarding! Your body will thank you! Here is my blog with clean recipes you can try: http://wellnesswithkatya.com/category/recipes/

Great list!
  • amyrllin1
    amyrllin1 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that list katya!! Wonderful advice.
  • mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    CoachKatya wrote: »

amyrllin1 wrote: »
    Thanks for that list katya!! Wonderful advice.

• mommylern5
    mommylern5 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I'm confused about sugar? For example sugar for tea or on oatmeal or such what would be the best thing?
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »
    I'm confused about sugar? For example sugar for tea or on oatmeal or such what would be the best thing?

My go to is honey. Especially if it's raw locally farmed honey. The benefits of it outweigh the negative of the carbs. It will fight allergies, help your body heal faster, soothe your throat, and more. Plus, I think it tastes better than sugar.
  • jazzyjez
    jazzyjez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    mommylern5 wrote: »

Once I quit sugar (including honey, syrup etc), fruit started to taste very sweet! I use fruit (whatever is in season) and nuts (usually pecans or walnuts) on my oatmeal where I used to use brown sugar and butter. I don't miss the old ingredients at all!

• xgray213
    xgray213 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I'm new here and I want to change the way I eat so I can join the army.
  • suntomoon
    Options
    I've been clean eating for over a year and find that my skin is fabulous (I'm 50+) and many "conditions" I had have disappeared. My favourite comfort food is cauliflower mash where its cooked to almost done, tossed in the food processor and a tablespoon or two of feta is added. I pulse it to a creamy consistency and it tastes like/feels like mashed potatoes....but hardly any carbs.

Good luck. I think getting processed foods out of your life means you will live longer, better.