Macros?

Options
socialone74
socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
Is anyone doing the Macro nutrient approach?

Replies

• xxoneluckygirlxx
    xxoneluckygirlxx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    what is it?
  • socialone74
    Options
    This is a copy/paste from another post I saw on MFP:

Macronutrients:
    Carbs, Fats, Protein.
    * The major nutritional "baskets". Try to eat at a 40%/30%/30% to see best results, but that's mainly for muscle growth. If you just want to be skinny, and don't care about "toning" or getting stronger, don't worry about it.
    * Depending on who you ask, Alcohol may be a fourth, but I'm getting ahead of myself there...

Micronutrients:
    eg: Vitamin A, potassium, sodium, etc...
    These are the "little" nutrients. There's a ton of them, and it's unlikely you can accurately track them using something like MFP.

Instead, ensure you get a wide, varied diet, and you'll be fine.
    My trick is to make sure my meals are as colourful as possible - the micros actually have an effect on the colour of food in some ways, so having a rainbow on your plate is indicative that you're getting most of the micros you need to be healthy.
  • socialone74
    Options
    The reason I ask I have always thought more protein so was curious if anyone else had attacked this approach yet...
  • JenniferLynWhatx
    JenniferLynWhatx Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I would probably make protein your 40%....the US FDA recommends 45% carbs in your diet...but what people don't realize is that the FDA's main job...is to sell US products...which is corn and other grains. Fats will keep your full longer, proteins will help your muscles rebuild after working out, and carbs will provide you with the easiest source of energy....too many carbs though and your body will never need to turn to the fat we've all stored on our bodies.

I'm mostly focusing on calories...but proteins are definitely my largest "goal" group
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I have decided that bread is the Devil. I love bread, and pasta. Those are my biggest weakness. So, I am limiting carbs to 25%, protein 50% and fat 25%.
  • xxoneluckygirlxx
    xxoneluckygirlxx Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    hmmm interesting... i think i will research this too