Scared to DEATH to add calories and do a re-set!!

Options
naolson
naolson Posts: 9 Member
Hi everyone! I am not new to EM2WL, I have been a member for a while and looked into trying the program about 1.5 years ago.....never started. I think the fear overcame me. I have struggled with my weight since I can remember, and the thought of adding more calories has me petrified. I am tired of NOT losing weight, and am pretty sure because of low calorie eating (for my height, weight and activity level) I have really messed up my metabolism. I was thinking of trying a re-set.....but I have a couple questions I was hoping to get some opinions. I would guess my intake has been around 1200 calories (net) for about 3-4 years now.....when I do the tasks to figure out my TDEE I get 2300. I just want to be sure this isn't going to be WAY too much for me....the thought of ADDING 1100 calories each day has me in a panic. I work out 4-5 days a week and ONLY do cardio, and 1-2x a week I do Yoga. When I do cardio it is usually 30-45 minutes and sometimes I run, sometimes walk and sometimes eliptical.....I work in a sedentary environment at a desk job. I am 5' 7" and about 173 right now. Do you think the TDEE calculation seems correct? or totally off?? Thank you SO much. Scared yet excited to get started. :)

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    How much walking time in that average 4.5 days x 37.5 min = 169 weekly min / 60 = 2.8 hrs weekly?

Because time spent walking obviously doesn't burn as much as running or more intense cardio. Unless you got the incline cranked up and HR just as high.

Walking only counts 1/2 the time as more intense cardio.
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1018770-better-rough-tdee-estimate-than-5-level-chart

So if you spend 60 min weekly walking, it only counts as 30 min when adding it up.
    Yoga is in that same level, so half time. avg 1.5 days x ? min / 2 = ? min yoga to add in.

You are still looking at lightly active unless you have kids, in which case the job may be sedentary, but afterwards is likely anything but.
    In which case lightly + lightly is moderate.
    If no kids - lightly.

And you don't jump up immediately.
    Take your average eaten daily for last couple weeks - forget net 1200, use gross eaten. Net isn't useful because you have eaten more than 1200 then, except on rest days perhaps.
    Then add 100 calories to that each day for a week.
    Then another 100 next week. ect.
    Until you get to the TDEE estimate based on your actual hours of exercise and other daily life.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi and welcome back! :) Your calculations sound right according to Scooby for 3-5 hour activity level. A reset would be beneficial to you since you have been eating low calorie for so long. It takes a bit of time and some patience. Like Heybales mentioned, start increasing calories slowly - 100 extra calories per week or so - this gives the body and mind time to adjust to eating more. After awhile, you'll work all the way up to your TDEE number. You'll want to eat at that maintenance level for 9-12 weeks before introducing a small deficit for fat loss. If you haven't already seen it, here's a great post by Kiki on what to expect when increasing calories. You will do great and be sure to keep us posted!

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/521728/upping-cals-what-to-expect-why-you-need-patience/p1
  • naolson
    naolson Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thank you BOTH so much for the welcome, encouragement and information! I am going to give this a go for sure! So excited to finally be "friends" with food. :)
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    We're excited for you too! :) You'll do great - be sure to post back with any questions.