Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Belly skin

DonnaHazel
DonnaHazel Posts: 30 Member
I am starting to develop folds of skin on my belly. (Good sign) The problem is my skin is irritated and it burns. Someone told be to try deodorant on it but I am not getting any relief. Any suggestions?

Replies

• JoanLovell
    JoanLovell Posts: 127 Member
    baby powder??
  • DonnaHazel
    Thanks for the suggestion. I tried it today,
    Not much relief
  • JoanLovell
    I don't know whether this will help, but here are some thoughts from Women's Health magazine. I have had chafing sometimes under my arms and it is NO FUN!

The Issue: Chafing

The Culprit: Skin-on-clothing or skin-on-skin friction leads to raw, red skin typically around bra line, nipples, underarms, and thighs.

Treat It: Apply Aquaphor Healing Ointment (1.75 oz, $4.79, Drugstore.com) or A+D Skin Protection Original Ointment (4 oz, $4.00, Walmart.com) which both contain petrolatum to soothe irritation and protect skin by holding in moisture. Keep the area covered so it remains moist, which helps the skin heal faster. If your chafing morphs into a blister, avoid the temptation to pick at the skin even if it pops, says Hale, as this outer layer serves as a natural bandage to help the wound heal faster.

Beat It: Before heading out on long runs, spread a slick ointment like Vaseline on any problem areas. “I’m obsessed with BodyGlide,” says Hale. “The stuff is magic—I won’t do a long-distance run without it.” Also swap cotton clothes for synthetic materials like polyester or Dri Fit, like the Nike Women's Legend Short-sleeved Tee ($7.97, SportsAuthority.com) which are designed to wick moisture away and won’t rub sensitive skin the wrong way.
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 548 Member
    We've had success with making sure there is clean, dry soft cloth over areas that might touch. Tip was from one of my mom's nurses. We also used a good moisture barrier as Joan suggested. In the laundry, I do an extra rinse when washing anything that touches the skin and scent - free softener sheets. No drying on the line. For me, when we lived in a very warm muggy place, using antibiotic ointment or cortisone ointment (not cream) on inflamed areas helped.
    Congratulations on seeing results from your hard work!
  • JoanLovell
    I'm wondering if Lanolin might help too. This came to mind when my grandson was born last summer and his mom was suffering with nipple irritation.
  • DonnaHazel
    Thanks for your suggestions! I used Benadryl on it last night which took the itching and burning away. I'm going to try your ideas... Not going to let some belly skin stop this gal!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,759 Member
    Cortisone cream for redness,etc. and Gold Bond powder helps mine. My sister is an LPN who works with elderly and they use it in most nursing homes. When I had a bad rash, under my breasts last summer it was a miracle for me. Used the cortisone and in one day I could then use the powder. It went away and so far hasn't returned and I am no longer using it. Only took about a week.
  • grandmothercharlie
    grandmothercharlie Posts: 1,356 Member
    If the above don't offer help, you might want to see a dr. I got like an infection under my boobs one summer. It can happen wherever there is a "fold" in the skin. It required a prescription cream.