The "Shift"...

Options
softblondechick
softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
Lately I have noticed a "shift" in the way I think about food and exercise. Yesterday is a good example; it was 5:00 pm, and I had a two hour commute home. I was a bit hungry. I stopped at Starbucks, ordered a Skinny Vanilla Latte, and contemplated the treat case.

Nothing looked good, it all looked crusty, and stale, and actually very unappetizing.

I left Starbucks with my latte, enjoying the feeling of being a bit hungry. I felt lighter. Being hungry did not kill me, I had eaten a good lunch and breakfast.

Before I would have automatically bought something to munch on...just on autopilot.

Today I will be right by my favorite bakery, two hours from my home, I am not often by this bakery. They make giant cinnamon rolls. And almond bear claws, with marzipan. I thought about buying one, stopping there, getting a treat for the drive home...but I don't really want one. I enjoy them, but I actually feel better about having the self control of not having one.

Exercise is no longer a dreaded chore, or something optional I fit into my day if I feel like iit. It is something I just do automatically.

I feel an incredible "shift" in the way I think about food. ..just thought I would share this...I have changed, because every day I envision my life as a thin "me", and I want to be there. I want that life.

Replies

• natalie8313
    natalie8313 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Way to go girl! Your old bad habits have transformed into your new GOOD habits! I'm looking forward to that day!
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. I hope to someday get there. Keep up the good work, you are inspiring.
  • jillshadow
    jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I am not quite there, I am tempted a lot, especially when cooking for my husband, I always want a little bit of this, a little bit of that. My biggest downfall is doughnuts, and lately I have been craving them like crazy. I can't wait till all these cravings go away. I know some cravings are ok, but I am still in the mindset of wanting everything.
  • softblondechick
    Options
    Thanks. I think what has helped me is I have completely stopped eating anything with flour. No bread, crackers....and I did not go to the bakery today!
  • abbyjane81
    abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I totally get what you are saying about the shift. I'm starting to like the 'high' of being on track and making healthy choices more than a bowl full of Mac n cheese or ice cream! It's only been a coule of weeks but I feel do much better and healthy food just tastes better!
    We can do this!!
  • Rachelerik
    Rachelerik Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Auto pilot eating is a hard habit to break. Congrats on knowing that just because food is available doesn't mean you have to eat it! Thanks for sharing... it is a good reminder for me.
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Oh yes!! I know exactly what you mean; I realized that when I began to treat food as fuel rather than fun my entire relationship with it changed. I find myself wanting veggies and fruits and lean meats rather than burgers and french fries. We had chili turkey dogs and french fries last night for the Super Bowl and I immediately regretted it wishing that I had made a salad. Not because I was over on my calories but because it honestly didn't taste appetizing to me anymore. I'm not saying I'll never have it again, I'm just saying I no longer crave fatty foods the way that I used to, and that feels so darn good!! Here's to making healthier decisions ladies!
  • softblondechick
    Options
    What has really helped me is to prep healthy snacks in my fridge. And never leave home without a cooler full of healthy food. I pack my cooler every day, hard boiled eggs, salad, chicken, yogurt, almonds, and avocado, and two bottles of water. And I have Atkins protein bars at work, which I don't really like, but I will eat as an alternative to the Snickers run.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It really is a great feeling to be controlling what I'm NOT eating instead of using that control to make bad choices. It's really a matter of "choices" - making a conscious decision to not snack while I'm cooking dinner is a big accomplishment and the rewards come when you lay your head down on your pillow at the end of the day and feel good about yourself. It takes 21 days for something to become a habit so undoing all those years of bad habits will take time.

We got this! You're all motivating me to keep going - THANKS!