How important is high fat?

Options
I am relatively new to keto (2 weeks in) and I'm doing okay keeping my daily carb intake below 40gm (most days its below 20), but my fat intake is not reaching the recommended level (currently at 93 grams), also, my protein is higher than it should be. In order to reach ketosis, is it most important to keep the carbs low or is it equally important to keep fats high? Also, any recommendations for adding a lot of fat without adding carbs? Thanks in advance!

Replies

• nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    edurham79 wrote: »
    I am relatively new to keto (2 weeks in) and I'm doing okay keeping my daily carb intake below 40gm (most days its below 20), but my fat intake is not reaching the recommended level (currently at 93 grams), also, my protein is higher than it should be. In order to reach ketosis, is it most important to keep the carbs low or is it equally important to keep fats high? Also, any recommendations for adding a lot of fat without adding carbs? Thanks in advance!

Fat should be at least 60% of your intake, carbs no more than 10%, though in reality you are better off treating carbs as a fixed number (ie 20-25g) regardless of your fiber, to ensure ketosis.

As for adding fats, it's easy. Cheap, fatty cuts of meat, full-fat cheeses, heavy whipping cream, coconut oil, olive oil, butter.

• radiii
    radiii Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    edurham79 wrote: »
    In order to reach ketosis, is it most important to keep the carbs low or is it equally important to keep fats high? Also, any recommendations for adding a lot of fat without adding carbs? Thanks in advance!

Keeping the carbs low is absolutely the most important thing. You don't want your protein to be drastically high.

http://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Use the calculator there and see what kind of recommendations you get (I'd suggest a 20% calorie deficit for starters). Your protein doesn't have to be perfect every day, but you do want to avoid going way over on an every day basis.

Some ways to add fats:

-- cook with butter or coconut oil
    -- cheese on all the things! (I love cheese and sour cream on/in my eggs in the morning).
    -- you can buy fattier cuts of meat, and its usually cheaper to do so. 85/15 beef instead of the lean stuff. Chicken Thighs with the skin on instead of boneless/skinless chicken breasts, etc.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Good job on sticking with a limit of net carbs.
    Next step is protein as a goal: 0.6-1.2g/lb LBM
    Fat is then filled in to satiety.

I agree that it's easy to let protein get pretty high relative to fat, especially if you are coming from a non-keto background. Easiest way to navigate that is to choose fattier cuts of meat (i.e. skin-on thighs vs. breasts, 80% ground beef, etc.) and adding mayo (homemade is awesome: http://theclothesmakethegirl.com/2010/06/03/the-secret-to-homemade-mayo-patience/) and butter to things.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    More fatty suggestions:
    - Salad dressings: really good quality olive oil with a dash or two of vinegar; blue cheese, ranch
    - Bacon! Once you start, you'll see bacon goes with everything
    - Save your bacon drippings and cook with them
    - Toss steamed veggies in oil/fat/butter/bacon fat (so good!)
    - Do you like coffee or black tea? Add heavy whipping cream rather than half-and-half or milk
    - Avocado, the fiber reduces the carb count

Best of luck, and enjoy! :smile:
  • moonius
    moonius Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    My weight loss had stalled for four months. I increased my macros to 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates. But last week I experimented with increasing my fat intake to over 80% and started losing weight again. I have been eating pork belly in addition to other high fat offerings like coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, avocados, macadamias, etc.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    moonius wrote: »
    My weight loss had stalled for four months. I increased my macros to 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates. But last week I experimented with increasing my fat intake to over 80% and started losing weight again. I have been eating pork belly in addition to other high fat offerings like coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, avocados, macadamias, etc.

I have a beautiful piece of pork belly in the fridge-how do you prepare it? I've made it once-it was just ok, not yummy like you get at restaurants.
  • moonius
    edited January 2015
    Options
    @sbom1‌ : Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Score the fat of the belly going one way, then repeat going the other way, so that you've got a nice festive diamond pattern in the fat.

Place the belly in a roasting pan (fat side up) and flavor the fat side with spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.) Cook at high heat until the fat side gets brown and bubbly (about 15 minutes), then turn down to 325 degrees and cook for 90 minutes.

When it's done I refrigerate it overnight, then slice the whole thing up, so it's ready to fry up whenever I want to eat some.
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    @sbom1‌ : Preheat oven to 500 degrees. Score the fat of the belly going one way, then repeat going the other way, so that you've got a nice festive diamond pattern in the fat.

Place the belly in a roasting pan (fat side up) and flavor the fat side with spices (salt, pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc.) Cook at high heat until the fat side gets brown and bubbly (about 15 minutes), then turn down to 325 degrees and cook for 90 minutes.

When it's done I refrigerate it overnight, then slice the whole thing up, so it's ready to fry up whenever I want to eat some.

Wow, that sounds good, I'll have to try it...

Thanks Moonius....

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • tq33702
    tq33702 Posts: 121 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options

Sounds delish...! And the Drippings
    from roasting can be used for frying,
    and hot salad dressings, too...yes?
    Any fav recipes for the drippings..?
  • moonius
    Options
    No recipes yet. But the drippings would make great hot dressings.
  • sbom1
    sbom1 Posts: 227 Member
    Options

(*) Thanks! Sounds great.
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Another good way to get your fat in is to try "fat bombs". My go-to easy recipe is 1. C. virgin coconut oil 2 T. unsweetened cocoa 1 tsp sweetener of your preference and 1 tsp vanilla. You can then add 1/2 cup nuts or another 2 T nut butters and melt. Pour into silicone molds or ice cube trays and freeze. I get about 16 servings from this recipes, and each comes up to about 10 grams of fat per serving. I have a few other recipes here https://www.pinterest.com/melismusing/paleoprimalketo/ - but for me fat bombs have been a life saver.

Keep at it- you can do it! :)
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Protein is your daily goal, carbohydrate is your limit, fat is for satiety and more is only needed if you are indeed hungry.