Opinions on numbers, experts please help me out?

Options
Makatees
Makatees Posts: 30 Member
edited January 2015 in Social Groups
For about 4 weeks I have been doing the 1200cal MFP recommendation. I have almost always eaten below 1200cal per day and often a lot less. Who knows what damage I have done to myself? Still, I am overweight despite regular excercise. I have not lost any weight in the last 4 weeks, and my measurements are the same.

Female, age 44
178 pounds
Desk job

Exercise used to be cardio, yoga and a bootcamp sessio each week but I have bumped it up in the last 4 weeks.
New program:
Monday: Gym Circuit class 1hr
Tues: Pump class involving light weights 1hr
Wed: 30 min tabata class
Thurs: Gym Circuit class 1hr
Fri and Sat: HIIT for about 7 min and weight training 1 hr min.
Sunday rest
BMR 1515
TDEE 2613
So my daily intake is at 2221

I honestly think I will feel ill if I eat at my daily intake number at this stage, so yesterday I reset my calories to 1800, which I managed to eat. If I increase this by 100 cal a week, will this be of benefit? I don't want to stuff myself with high calorie unhealthy options just to lift my calories for the day. My food diary is open to view, advice greatly appreciated!

Replies

• Resolutemama
    Resolutemama Posts: 2 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    First of all, I'm no expert.(as you might need,lol) Pretty impressive exercise...I, like you,have had a difficult time losing weight and have also been very frustrated. After however much trial and error, I have begun to lose weight. After looking at your food diary and again no expert here, I would recommend eliminating complex carbs for dinner, shooting for 1500-1800 cals a day,DRINK more water (10-12c) and what has worked for me has been a ratio of 40%protein, 30%fat,and 30%carbs. I like you struggle hitting those numbers and am at a current weight of 165. I eat the majority of complex carbs before dinner, preferably before 4-5pm. I add more egg whites to go along with any of my meals to increase protein(gold standard whey-amazon)and do protein shakes for snacks and make sure to eat every couple of hours adding an am/afternoon/maybe even a shake in evening 7-8. I exercise in am very early 6-7am and mostly in a fasted state bc its so early.(different opinions on this and have tried both ways, eating a little before and not) I do make sure to have a protein shake within 30 min of Weight train and eat 30-45 min after cardio. Have you ever seen Body for Life by Bill Phillips? He's pretty nonsense about portion control and clean eating..He has 2 good books called Body for Life and Eating for Life. Both can be checked out at the library. I also have taking CLA, Chromium picolinate and increased Vit C (healing of muscle)as a change to my diet and that has brought results. Like I said, no expert, but just saying what is working as of recently after months of not getting it right. Trial and error and much advice from friends who seem to have it right. Good Luck!
  • Resolutemama
    Resolutemama Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    and what i meant by "as you might need,lol" was that you may not want my advice, not that you needed any...just didn't want you to misunderstand, as in your post you asked for an expert to give advice..sorry if that came across odd:)
  • Suezyq47
    Suezyq47 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I am 48 and have a desk job too.
    I exercise usually 2-3x per week (30 min cardio and 20 min weights)
    I am eating about 1400 - 1500 per day and following the Dr Phil 20/20 Diet which consists of lean protein, nuts, beans, vegetables whole grains and small amounts of rice (brown & wild rice) and small amounts of whole grain pasta.
    I have lost 11.8 lbs in the last month and 14.25 inches

I have had the best luck with eating about 1500 cal per day (whatever I wanted) and exercising a few times per week. Unfortunately in the past when I did this I wasn't eating very healthy, but the lower calorie intake and exercise did work.

This time sticking to a healthier diet (same calorie intake) and some exercise, I am feeling good and not hungry between meals.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Hi there! I think we messaged back and forth a bit. Welcome!

So yes, it looks like you calculated your calories correctly using Scooby with a 5-6 hour activity level. You are doing a lot of workouts. Do they make you tired or feel like you will burn out? You might benefit from decreasing some of your exercise and giving your body another rest day. You do not have any time built in for your body to recover after exercise. Too much exercise will stress the body as well as eating too little calories. Combine the two stressors and you find that your progress will stall. You really don't have to kill yourself at the gym to get better results - it's actually working against your progress right now. Since your workouts alone add up to almost 6 hours, you probably need to move up to the highest activity level. When using Scooby, you need to include your daily activity in your calculation as well. This may easily push you up into the highest activity level. It does seem like a lot of food, but you are doing a lot of workouts, so you have to eat accordingly. Women are usually always shocked to see how many calories their body actually needs. :) Eating 1200 cals is way too low for anyone and can cause your weight loss/inch loss to completely stall out, as it has in your case. If you choose to decrease your workouts a bit, you can adjust your calculation on Scooby. For example, I workout 4 times a week for 30 minutes and I choose 3-5 hour activity level for myself since I'm a stay-home mom and I'm moving around quite a bit through the day as opposed to a desk job.

You will want to increase your calories very slowly. You don't need to jump right to 1800 if you've only been eating 1200. Add 100 calories daily every week - 1300 daily one week, 1400 daily the next week and slowly work your way up to your 2221 calorie level. This will give your body and mind time to adjust to eating more. Adding calories too quickly will cause weight gain (mostly water, but still discouraging), so do increase slowly. As you increase, you will become more hungry as your metabolism speeds up and you'll feel like eating more. Use full fat foods like olive oil, real butter, milk, cheese, peanut butter, avocado, cheese, nuts, lean proteins, eggs, whole grains and vegetables, and enjoy treats in moderation - whatever you like. You won't have to choose low-fat items anymore. I'm not one to advocate for limiting or taking out certain food groups out of the diet - for example carbs. You will need carbs for energy. You don't have to do anything crazy and there don't have to be any crazy rules. :) Just slowly work up to your 15% deficit calorie level. Once you reach that level, stay there for several weeks and monitor your progress and see how you do. Eating enough is so important for proper fat loss. Let us know how you do.
  • Makatees
    Options
    Hi there! I think we messaged back and forth a bit. Welcome!

So yes, it looks like you calculated your calories correctly using Scooby with a 5-6 hour activity level. You are doing a lot of workouts. Do they make you tired or feel like you will burn out? You might benefit from decreasing some of your exercise and giving your body another rest day. You do not have any time built in for your body to recover after exercise. Too much exercise will stress the body as well as eating too little calories. Combine the two stressors and you find that your progress will stall. You really don't have to kill yourself at the gym to get better results - it's actually working against your progress right now. Since your workouts alone add up to almost 6 hours, you probably need to move up to the highest activity level. When using Scooby, you need to include your daily activity in your calculation as well. This may easily push you up into the highest activity level. It does seem like a lot of food, but you are doing a lot of workouts, so you have to eat accordingly. Women are usually always shocked to see how many calories their body actually needs. :) Eating 1200 cals is way too low for anyone and can cause your weight loss/inch loss to completely stall out, as it has in your case. If you choose to decrease your workouts a bit, you can adjust your calculation on Scooby. For example, I workout 4 times a week for 30 minutes and I choose 3-5 hour activity level for myself since I'm a stay-home mom and I'm moving around quite a bit through the day as opposed to a desk job.

You will want to increase your calories very slowly. You don't need to jump right to 1800 if you've only been eating 1200. Add 100 calories daily every week - 1300 daily one week, 1400 daily the next week and slowly work your way up to your 2221 calorie level. This will give your body and mind time to adjust to eating more. Adding calories too quickly will cause weight gain (mostly water, but still discouraging), so do increase slowly. As you increase, you will become more hungry as your metabolism speeds up and you'll feel like eating more. Use full fat foods like olive oil, real butter, milk, cheese, peanut butter, avocado, cheese, nuts, lean proteins, eggs, whole grains and vegetables, and enjoy treats in moderation - whatever you like. You won't have to choose low-fat items anymore. I'm not one to advocate for limiting or taking out certain food groups out of the diet - for example carbs. You will need carbs for energy. You don't have to do anything crazy and there don't have to be any crazy rules. :) Just slowly work up to your 15% deficit calorie level. Once you reach that level, stay there for several weeks and monitor your progress and see how you do. Eating enough is so important for proper fat loss. Let us know how you do.

• Makatees
    Options
    Thanks so much for your replies! Its great to hear what worked for other people!
    After years and years of severe calorie restriction, I am so ready to do something which nourishes my body instead of depriving it.

After a month of crazy exercise, my body is exhausted so Jenbecca, your advice to reduce the exercise a bit sounds like the right thing to do. I was actually under the impression that I was supposed to feel so exhausted! I might set my calories to 1600 and then up them from there and keep monitoring. Getting out of the mindset of starving to lose weight is going to take a while, but once the results happen, I am sure that will be the catalyst for a change in belief.

Resolutemama I didn't think your post sounded odd at all! Thank you so much for your tips and advice, it does help to learn from other peoples experiences and also helps when someone is on the outside looking in, you gave some great advice :smile:

Thanks Sue, you have done really well so far, I will take your tips on board :smile:

• Jennbecca33
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Great plan! You'll start feeling much better!
  • Makatees
    Options
    Update: I am suddenly feeling so hungry! It was hard to eat more the first couple of days but today my stomach was rumbling! I haven't felt hunger like this, for ages. Something's happening!
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    @ Makatees, funny.......I told my trainer a few weeks ago that I was really hungry most days and he said.........."I've been waiting for you to say that". We upped my calories again.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    luluinca wrote: »
    @ Makatees, funny.......I told my trainer a few weeks ago that I was really hungry most days and he said.........."I've been waiting for you to say that". We upped my calories again.

Did upping your calories take the hunger pangs away? Just curious as I'm still learning a lot about this process.
  • luluinca
    luluinca Posts: 2,899 Member
    Options
    It helped a lot yes. I also adjusted so I eat more of my calories earlier and make sure I get enough of my allotted fat calories in the morning. For some reason I'm hungrier in the morning than I am later in the day.
  • Jennbecca33
    Options
    Makatees, the hunger is a great sign!! It means your metabolism is speeding up and your body is appreciating the increased fuel. Keep at it!
  • Makatees
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have an update!! Here I was this week, expecting no change to my weight and measurements, because of my body getting used to a big increase in calories per day...Not too surprisingly, I lost 100g. But, the centimeters are melting off suddenly! 2cm off waist, 1,5cm off neck, 3cm off hips, 2cm off my thigh!
    Edited: spelling.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    That's awesome. Your body is responding in such positive ways to feeding it appropriately! Yay!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Congrats - body is becoming less stressed out, probably constantly elevated cortisol is dropping, as is the retained water from it.

Keep it up.
  • Makatees
    Options
    Upped to 1900 cal a few days ago, weight and measurements pretty much the same, BUT I am getting stronger, fitter and firmer. Really glad I took photos a few weeks ago so I can compare down the track. It might be time to up some more because I am still hungry half an hr after dinner! Did a killer weight workout with a PT today, that might be why.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Great to hear Makatees!