Maximized fat intake

Options
moonius
moonius Posts: 663 Member
My weight loss had stalled for four months. I increased my macros to 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbohydrates. I have metabolic syndrome and even with daily exercise I was not losing weight. But last week I experimented with increasing my fat intake to over 80% and started losing weight again. I have been eating pork belly in addition to other high fat offerings like coconut oil, butter, heavy cream, sour cream, avocados, macadamias, etc.

Replies

• hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    That's where I have my macros since the beginning and that seems to work perfect, especially since I don't need a ton of protein since I'm pretty sedentary. Congrats!
  • lwh1961
    lwh1961 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Did your calorie count change or do it stay the same?
  • moonius
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My calorie count remained the same. I actually went over most days.
  • hotsungirl
    hotsungirl Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    So ... can we talk "pork belly"? It looks like a barrel of chips. What does it taste like?
  • moonius
    Options
    Of course, pork belly is where bacon comes from but I think it's better than bacon. Tastes like bacon without the smokiness, sugar or preservatives.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    moonius, you inspired me yesterday to break out the piece of pork belly I had in the freezer. Thank you! :)

After thawing, I poke the daylights out of the skin, dry marinate the meat side with Chinese 5 spice, salt, and pepper, and leave it uncovered in the fridge overnight.

Trader Joe's fully cooked pork belly doesn't nearly resemble a fresh slab from the butcher. It's a little vacuum sealed pork loaf kinda thing, you have to open it in the sink and dry it off with paper towels. I know, sounds wonderful. LOL But once you get past manipulating this thing, the slices pan fried or broiled are tasty.

YMMV, I love pork fat, I grew up snacking on fat back slices. I agree - it's like meatier, fattier bacon. Plus with the skin, you have cracklins, too.
  • moonius
    edited February 2015
    Options
    @oyadancing‌ : I love the cracklins too. I grew up eating those and fat back. I have to travel about 40 miles to find a butcher that sells pork belly. I just picked up an 11.5 pound on last Friday.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Wow! 11lbs - is that the whole belly? LOL I understand completely; after tonight's came out so well, I could go on a pork belly fast.
  • moonius
    Options
    Not sure if that's the whole belly but it's a pretty big piece. I have basically been doing a pork belly fast since last week.