Newbie! Just beginning the process...unsure.

Osu2k1
Osu2k1 Posts: 116 Member
Hi! I am Melissa, I am 36, mom to 2 boys who are 6 & almost 10. I have been doing weight watchers for 4 years, and have lost 71 lb doing it. But in Oct 2013, I was Dx with Multiple Sclerosis. I ended up gaining 40 back. I have lost 10 of those, but honestly, it's so much harder this time.

My sister who is probably 40 lb heavier than myself, decided to have VSG. She is 2 days post op. Her insurance didn't cover it, and so she researched and went to Mexico. She is very pleased with her experience there. She comes home in 2 days. :smile: With her doing this, it got me thinking about it.

I have insurance that will cover it. I will hit my max out of pocket this year with MRIs alone due to my MS, so it essentially will not cost me anything more than the total $1500 for the year. I am trying to decide if I want to do the Lap band or VSG like my sister had done. I liked the idea of LAP because I am not altering my actual body, just adding a tool. But my hubby said that if I was looking at it as a "temporary" fix (not that I would remove it, it's more that it can be removed if it needed to be). He said I would have better results with the VSG than the band. I am currently at 289 lb (started at 331), and I honestly would be thrilled to be at 185 lb. I don't see myself being skinny, it's just always been me, the fat girl. I guess that's part of the psych stuff.

Also, what pre-op tests did you have done? I know EKG, Nutrition, Psych, Surgeon, blood work, but what else is there that might creep up? Thanks!
Melissa

Replies

• rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    My suggestion is to contact your insurance directed Bariatric center and go to an informational meeting. No commitment, but they will lay out their plan and you will learn a bunch. Ideally, it is a Bariatric Center of Excellence, as they are more likely to have a good pre-op education plan.

You can also read these groups and add a bunch of friends from all stages of the surgery. That way, you will see a much better glimpse into the eating and behaviors/habits/struggles that come with this decision.

My pre-op plan had all of the tests you mention, plus a pre-op weight loss and exercise requirement. If you go this route, my advice is to hit the pre-op plan hard, lose as much as you can and ingrain the behaviors and habits prior to surgery to make the post-op physical and mental changes as minimal as possible.

I had a ton of weight to lose and by losing 100 pre-op, it made the remaining weight easier to lose during the 6-9 month post surgery time possible (not there yet, but getting closer).

Feel free to add me as a friend!

Rob
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    I agree with Rob. I knew going in I wanted the sleeve, having done a lot of research on my own about the band and bypass, but going to the informational meeting just solidified my resolve that the sleeve was the right surgery for me.

I had all the tests you mentioned plus a couple more. I needed a stomach scope because of acid reflux and ultrasounds on my left leg because it's markedly bigger than the right and they wanted to be sure there was no blood clot or other reason.

I started the process at 386, lost 20 before surgery and 164 to date. My goal weight is 160, so I still have a ways to go.

The best thing you can do is educate yourself and all the surgeries, what they do, what the restrictions are post surgery and decide for yourself what sounds like a better lifetime plan for you. With your MS you will have things to think about the rest of us don't.

Good luck with everything and feel free to ask any questions you want.

Pat
  • Osu2k1
    Thank you guys! I did the info seminar online plus went to the location's seminar about 8 years ago. This has been on my mind for a while now. I am just starting to do more thorough research.
  • murphyraven
    murphyraven Posts: 163 Member
    When I first looked at WLS in my 20s I considered the lap band. I'm glad I didn't end up getting it. I've read so many stories about the lap band having problems and when I stayed my journey to get the sleeve in my 30s my surgeon said the lap band had a high failure rate. I think it is starting to get phased out in favor of the sleeve and bypass. As others have said, do your research and find what is the best option for you.
  • talinaklocke
    talinaklocke Posts: 42 Member
    my only option ended up being the sleeve (which was fine by me because it's what I really wanted) due to some of the medications I take. In the beginning I'd considered the band, but after reading a bunch of stories about it I wasn't sure I liked the sound of it. A good friend of mine got it about 4 or so years ago now and she did wonderfully (after initial slippage issues) lost 200lbs then got really sick and found out the band had slipped again, she had to have emergency surgery to have the band removed and has since gained some of her weight back.
  • wilrhy
    wilrhy Posts: 199 Member
    I did a lot of research and decided on the sleeve. My surgeon wanted me to have RNY due to my gastric problems but I opted for the sleeve and I am really happy with my decision. Contact your Ins Co first. I had to go through 6 months of classes and they taught me a lot and prepared me for the journey. My ins now only requires 3 months. Good luck.
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    Hi Melissa,
    You've gotten some good advice here. You can be successful with any procedure. Do your research and determine what procedure you think will fit best into your lifestyle, then work with your surgical team.

I ruled out the lapband because I knew I wouldn't go for fills as often as I should. I didn't want a bypass because I wanted normal digestion and didn't want to deal with dumping. So I had the sleeve about 18 months ago and have been very happy overall. My starting weight was not far from yours - 275 (highest was about 290). I reached my goal of 155 last August and now I work on maintaining that weight.

WLS is a wonderful tool, but any procedure requires a life-long commitment. Best of luck to you. :smiley:
  • Osu2k1
    Pattycakes, how is your excess skin situation?? I am really curious how it has been for you (since we are of similar sizes -pre op). What was your fitness level entering and during? Thank you everyone!!!!!
  • pattycakes726
    pattycakes726 Posts: 348 Member
    My doc told me I have 15-20 lbs of excess skin. I've got a lot of loose skin around my middle. I wear Spanx pretty often to keep things from jiggling. That doesn't really bother me.

I also have huge 'bat wings' on both arms. I am a bit self-conscious about them and never wear sleeveless tops. If I could afford plastic surgery, I'd start with my arms.

There's loose skin on my thighs too, but when I wear shorts, they are long enough to cover most of it.

How much loose skin you'll wind up with depends on a lot of factors, including age. You're quite a bit younger than me. I was 52 when I had WLS. I don't love my sagging skin but it beats the hell out of the rolls of fat I used to carry around!
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    I had the sleeve done. The bariatric/hospital program I went to doesn't even do the band anymore because they have had very poor results with it. They only do the sleeve or R-N-Y. I picked the sleeve because there is a reduced risk of developing malabsorption issues with the nutrients from food. I had the tests/visits you listed but nothing else. I believe the sleeve is the tool that will help me achieve the weight loss I want and even more importantly, it will help me maintain the weight loss. Good luck whatever you decide.
  • jazzine1
    jazzine1 Posts: 280 Member
    I am close to 8 yrs post op, I had the gastric bypass. I will have to continue to drinks my daily dose cocktail of vitamins for the rest of my life. When I stop taking them and get my blood work checked my Vitamin D and B12 levels tend to be on the very low end.