Favorite Book Series

Options
2»

Replies

• kodiakke
    kodiakke Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Lois McMaster Bujold's Vorkosigan series. There's a reason she won so many awards; Miles is an awesome character. And her Chalion series makes me cry every time I read them. She writes lovely, human, flawed characters in space operas.

Sheri S. Tepper's Grass and Raising the Stones. Such awesome world building and philosophy.

David Brin's Uplift series, oh yeah. +1 to those, as well as Terry Pratchett's Discworld series (always great for thought-provoking laughs) and Patricia Briggs' Mercy Thompson series (just straight up fun shape shifting fantasy). Ilona Andrews' Magic series is also fun, and with a sexy were lion in an alternate universe. How can you go wrong with that?

• xSassy71x
    xSassy71x Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Sword of Truth Series - Terry Goodkind is my all time favorite series.
    Magic Kingdom of Landover series - Terry Brooks
    Mageborn Series - Michael G. Manning
    Sorcerer's Ring Series- Morgan Rice
    The Kinshield Saga - K.C. May
    The Book of Deacon series - Joseph Lallo

I do enjoy my swords & magic books :smile:
  • KiraJade88
    Options
    Chronicles of Nick - by Sherrilyn Kenyon
    The Demon's Lexicon - by Sarah Rees Brennan
    Artemis Fowl - by Eoin Colfer
    Vicious Deep - by Zoraida Cordova
    Paradise War - by Stephen Lawhead
    Dune - by Frank Herbert
  • jnlaughton
    Options
    The Phoenix series is very well written soft Sci Fi and currently hooked on that and the third Maze Runner book (first series I ever read with an endorsement from Seventeen magazine ugh.) Other than that all of the now non-canon Star Wars books.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I love the Riftwar books from Raymond E Feist, but specifically the books of the Serpentwar Saga; I could read them over and over.
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I love the Riftwar books from Raymond E Feist, but specifically the books of the Serpentwar Saga; I could read them over and over.

Same here (except Riftwar > Serpentwar, no matter how much I adore Calis)! I just can't get into the later stuff that doesn't feature the original characters.
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options

Same here (except Riftwar > Serpentwar, no matter how much I adore Calis)! I just can't get into the later stuff that doesn't feature the original characters.

I liked the later books, but as they continued you could see that Feist was just over writing the books and couldn't wait to finish. The amount of editing errors I had in my copy of the last book was horrible.

I love the original Riftwar books, but I think I've actually read the Mistress of the Empire trilogy the most, probably because I loved seeing the story through the eyes of the Tsurani. Maybe it's also because I'm a sucker for a strong female character :D
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Ill have to read some that are listed here as they sound interesting. But so far my favorites

Foundation Series (all including the prequels and postquels) by Isaac Asimov
    Robot Series by Isaac Asimov
    Ranger's Apprentice by John Flanagan
    Brotherband Series by John Flanagan
    Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy (all 5 books) by Douglas Adams
    Dune by Frank Herbert
    Maze Runner Series by James Dashner (much better than the movie shows it to be)
    Michael Vey Series by Richard Paul Evans
    Dirk Pitt Series by Clive Cussler
    Oregon Files by Clive Cussler
    Uglies Series by Scott Westerfeld
    Eragon by Christopher Paolini

Plus a couple kid/quick reads like

A series of unfortunate events by Lemony Snicket
    How to train your dragon by Cressida Cowell
    Ascendance Trilogy by Jennifer A Nielson
  • marieamethyst
    marieamethyst Posts: 869 Member
    Options

I liked the later books, but as they continued you could see that Feist was just over writing the books and couldn't wait to finish. The amount of editing errors I had in my copy of the last book was horrible.

I love the original Riftwar books, but I think I've actually read the Mistress of the Empire trilogy the most, probably because I loved seeing the story through the eyes of the Tsurani. Maybe it's also because I'm a sucker for a strong female character :D

I confess that I am a bit biased... the first "later" book I read had a couple called Caleb/Marie that was introduced pretty quickly. My ex is named Caleb, and I'm Marie, so it was almost like salt in old wounds. I did read one of the later books involving a prison breakout that was kind of interesting... but just not the same. I loved Arutha, and Jimmy, and Krondor, and once those two were dead it was kind of game over for me. I did notice what you meant about Feist writing like he was done too. One day I hope to finish them all just because, so I can read the last "Magician" novel and find closure. But it's hard to top Riftwar and Serpentwar. :) (I've never found the Mistress trilogy in stores or in a library... one of these days I'll get around to reading it too)

Other favorite series:

-Anything Thrawn related by Timothy Zahn for Star Wars
    -Most of David Eddings stuff
    -Most of Terry Brooks stuff
    -I have a love/hate relationship with GRR Martin
    -Harry Potter, of course (even if Book 7 still confuses the heck out of me)
    -Kushiel series by Jacqueline Carey
    -Coldfire Trilogy by C.S. Friedman

I'm always on the lookout for new recs though, so I'm going to have to go through the previous lists and see if I can find some spring reading!
  • Autumnfilly2005
    Autumnfilly2005 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I'm excited to see so many people here love the same books I do! I'll list my favorites as the Dresden Files, (did you see Jim's tweet about Justine? AARRGGHHHH!!!!!!), pretty much anything by Patricia Briggs, Diana Wynne Jones, the Kate Daniels books by Ilona Andrews, I'm going to stop there, but I have read and usually enjoyed almost every series already listed above.