Mediterranean Diet

Options
Hi All! I have recently been put on the Mediterranean diet by my doctor and I love it so far!! I am finding many recipes on the internet but wondered if there was anyone else who is following it or has followed it and would be willing to share some low calorie favorites with me. Good luck to everyone and hope to hear from some of you soon! :)

Replies

• lgmorgansb
    lgmorgansb Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I make a split pea and leak soup with roasted garlic. It's simple and delicious. Cook one pound of split peas as directed using vegetable stock (I make my own but if you buy it get low sodium) finely chop one leek and bring to a boil then simmer until reduced but still visible stock. Use just enough vegetable stock to cover them (seperate small sauce pan) and add 5 smashed cloves of garlic. Remove from heat and allow to steep while you process the split peas. I have a Braun hand blender that goes right in the pot but you can use a blender or food processor but allow it to cool a little first. Then add the leaks and garlic with the stock and process till smooth. I add pink sea salt, black pepper and lots of roasted garlic powder. No oil, no butter, no dairy and it taste great. Very higher in fiber too. Good luck and enjoy should you decide to give it a try.
  • dimeda78
    dimeda78 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    This sounds fantastic. I'll have to give it a try.
  • NK1112
    NK1112 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Big Batch Ratatouille by Rachel Ray ... Ratatouilli is a vegetable stew, great served over polenta or rice, or served with toasted crusty bread and poached eggs. Use it as a side vegetable dish or a main meal. This recipe will make 3 quarts.

2 firm, medium eggplants ... peel half the skin off, then dice into bite-size pieces
    salt and pepper
    1/4 cup olive oil
    1 rounded tablespoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano, basil, marjoram, fennel seed) .. 'Herbs de Provence'
    2 large onions, chopped
    4 large cloves garlic, sliced
    2 fresh bay leaves
    1 cup vegetable stock
    3 medium zucchini (about 2 pounds) seeded and diced into bite-size pieces
    2 red bell pell or mild frying peppers, seeded and chopped
    1 can plum tomatoes (32 ounce), crushed by hand
    1/4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
    a few leaves of basil, torn

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Farenheit (205 Celcius)
    Salt and drain the eggplant on a kitchen towel for about 20 minutes,pat dry.
    Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat. Add the dried herbs and stir, then add the onions, garlic and bay leaves and season with a little salt and some black pepper. Cook,, partially covered, for 10 minutes, to soften. Add the vegetable stock, eggplant, zucchini, peppers, tomatoes and their juices, basil and parsley. Stir to combine, then cover and transfer the pot to the oven to roast for 30 minutes more. Turn off the oven and let stand for minutes in the oven.

Serve or cool and store. Remove the bay leaves before servings.

Note ... there is a Greek version that uses potatoes and chick peas in the recipe, and an Italian version called caponata, and many other countries have their own versions. My own favofite version does not use the Herbes de Provence nor basil, but relies heavily on parsley and dill leaves.

I use this stew to stuff twice-baked potatoes by adding the scooped potato to the mix then returning it to the potato shell, topping with some cheese and finishing ln the oven.
  • SUPERSUE42
    SUPERSUE42 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I am interested in the Mediterranian diet as it sounds like one I could actually follow! Going to have to try the Ratatouille. Thanks, NK1112