To log or not to log?

Options
SideSteel
SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
Please feel free to comment in this thread if you would like to add your thoughts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq7Ufob8ggE&feature=youtu.be

Replies

• SideSteel
    Options
    I'll add a few key points:

1) My eyebrows are too long. Don't tell Sara.

2) If I failed to mention it in my rambling, if you're a physique competitor or someone seeking exceptional levels of leanness then it's very likely that you'll need to or want to log. The intended context here is for general population.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    In....

And getting ready to deal with those eyebrows...
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    too much clothing
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I agree... over time you will learn what you can eat without logging all the time. As you said = Develop habits / awareness. -- Lol I like the logging pics! yeah I watched the whole thing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    too much clothing

That's coz he's kinda fluffy at the moment!!
  • SideSteel
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    too much clothing

How's your cut going?
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    Options
    serious answer - while I found logging to be uber tedious at the beginning, now that I have my favorite recipes entered in MFP, it's really not much a time commitment in my day to log.

I've been maintaining for about a year, and for a few months in the fall, I wasn't logging consistently, and I found that I'm not mindful enough about my eating when I don't log. I can see that *I* will do better in the long run, if I log.
  • SideSteel
    edited February 2015
    Options
    serious answer - while I found logging to be uber tedious at the beginning, now that I have my favorite recipes entered in MFP, it's really not much a time commitment in my day to log.

I've been maintaining for about a year, and for a few months in the fall, I wasn't logging consistently, and I found that I'm not mindful enough about my eating when I don't log. I can see that *I* will do better in the long run, if I log.

And while you certainly may be correct, another thing to be open to is the idea that you may just not have dialed in the necessary habits (yet) in order to maintain without logging.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    SideSteel wrote: »
    too much clothing

How's your cut going?

2ptts75.jpg
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    edited February 2015
    Options

And while you certainly may be correct, another thing to be open to is the idea that you may just not have dialed in the necessary habits in order to maintain without logging.

that's a fair point.

specifically what I found is that I was still doing OK with my actual meals, but being semi-forgetful of how much extras I was eating, and it kinda got away from me. I don't have a good memory, so tracking what I'm eating helps me remember "Oh yeah, I already had 2 cookies after lunch - maybe I shouldn't have 5 more after supper". Things like that.

ETA - I think it would probably be just as effective for me to simply write down what I've eaten, without necessarily counting the calories. But since I'm already set up in MFP, it's just faster for me that way.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    too much clothing

How's your cut going?

Or, what I actually meant...arsehole!!! :stuck_out_tongue:
  • _errata_
    _errata_ Posts: 1,653 Member
    Options
    What's this all ABOOT. Bro. Dude. Bro. Also, great video. Human beings have existed for a very long time without logging. I think you can learn what's reasonable and not reasonable over time. Like you said, it builds an awareness. Good stuff.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Ok I watched it (of course with the captions on) and I have some questions Pat"

Pay Patrick: how much?
    A Howell is lobbying my food: Why, and is Howell a Democrat or Republican, apparently THIS MATTERS.
    It will be a very short haired or negligible listed negatives: How short? Number 2 razor short?
    Keep blogging: but what if I don't wanna?
    Rather than just seeing a British I said Peter that may or may not fit: I don't think we're talking about logging anymore?
    Hopefully used to uniform the crack habit: I think I saw this movie, sh1t got real.
    Ranger calorie macronutrients: as opposed to hunter?

:) it really was a great vid and I "think" I figured out what was really said, captions are silly sometimes, thought you would enjoy the laugh.
  • SideSteel
    Options

A Howell is lobbying my food: Why, and is Howell a Democrat or Republican, apparently THIS MATTERS.
    It will be a very short haired or negligible listed negatives: How short? Number 2 razor short?
    Rather than just seeing a British I said Peter that may or may not fit: I don't think we're talking about logging anymore?
    Hopefully used to uniform the crack habit: I think I saw this movie, sh1t got real.

:) it really was a great vid and I "think" I figured out what was really said, captions are silly sometimes, thought you would enjoy the laugh.

I'm LOLing at the above and I don't even know what you are saying.
  • Original_Sinner
    Original_Sinner Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I don't write 'em, I just read 'em.
  • Derp_Diggler
    Derp_Diggler Posts: 1,456 Member
    Options
    I find constant logging tedious and a bit of a deterrent toward achieving my goals. I can only speak for myself, but over the last eight months I have had pretty good success maintaining and bulking while not logging. I anticipate cutting will be more difficult just by it's nature, but I am going to attempt it. I think that I, like most people, tend to eat many of the same foods over the course of a week or a month. As long as I don't deviate from that too much and burn more calories through increased exercise I'm hoping that these habits, coupled with the nutritional knowledge that I gained while logging, will be enough for me to achieve some success. I liken it to being a student. Study hard, but eventually I want to be able to leave school and put all that I have learned to use in practicum.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options

I'm LOLing at the above and I don't even know what you are saying.

I went back and watched the video with the volume off and the "closed captioning" on. It was pretty darned funny.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesome, as usual!
  • whitneyhanson1
    whitneyhanson1 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I like the recommended videos at the end. Haha.
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    A few ideas to ponder--

First, I think it is somewhat a quality vs. quantity thing. I lost and managed my weight without logging about ten years ago, but I cut out sugar and mostly focused on lean protein and unrefined carbs. The weight left very very quickly--like 30 lbs in 2.5 months--and hunger/satiety wasn't an issue. But I like my treats, so logging allows me to have my treats and still stay in control. Obviously, I did not maintain that loss of ten years ago, because I am here on MFP. As soon as I stopped controlling quality, the weight came back because I wasn't monitoring quantity.

For me, it is like a budget. Instead of restrictive, it is freeing within boundaries. If I have the calories to eat the cheesecake, or wine, or whatever, then I do so without guilt.

If I don't see the numbers in front of me, I can easily convince myself that the Big Mac AND the large fries won't be a problem! Again, a quality issue. Another reason logging is important for me.

Last of all, at this point, even when I know calorie values, etc. I still have not re set hunger cues. Perhaps that is emotional. Or again, maybe quality. If I "eat right", then I AM satisfied with a more appropriate amount.

So I will continue to log, mostly because although I am always conscious of micronutrients, etc, I still want to include my treats, and logging seems to be the only balance for that.

And on a related note--for women perimenopause/menopause--how does that factor in? In hunger? In metabolism? Because I can sure say it changed the rules for my body and I am still trying to figure it out!