cheapest place for hwc/other ingredients?

Options
My mom is super supportive of this diet choice for me, turns out she was keto when she was my age too. However, hwc is nearly triple the price of half and half and the full fat version of sour cream, cream cheese, shredded cheese and fattier cuts of meat follow roughly the same trend. She has obvious objections to this. Where can we shop that is likely to have better prices? I live in california, the central valley to be specific. We usually shop at Safeway, Wal-Martand

Replies

• sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Raleys for our food.
  • tru2one
    tru2one Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Where can we shop that is likely to have better prices? I live in california, the central valley to be specific.

I'm in WA state, and I stock up on sugar free syrups, HWC, etc. at Cash and Carry/Smart Food Service, which is a restaurant supply chain and has very reasonable prices on a lot of different things. It looks like there are some in Northern CA/Bay area, but I don't know if that will work for you. I also shop places like Grocery Outlet (or when I was in the midwest, Aldi) for staple items.

I agree that HWC can be pretty spendy, but when you think about all the carby, processed things that you DON'T buy anymore, I think it all kind of evens out.

• hungryshay
    hungryshay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I get it at Sam's Club for $4 a quart for the Land O Lakes brand. It's the best deal I've seen Target is the next to lowest price for $5/quart of the store brand.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    [quote=

I'm in WA state, and I stock up on sugar free syrups, HWC, etc. at Cash and Carry/Smart Food Service, which is a restaurant supply chain and has very reasonable prices on a lot of different things. It looks like there are some in Northern CA/Bay area, but I don't know if that will work for you. I also shop places like Grocery Outlet (or when I was in the midwest, Aldi) for staple items.

I agree that HWC can be pretty spendy, but when you think about all the carby, processed things that you DON'T buy anymore, I think it all kind of evens out.

[/quote]

I wish we didn't buy the carby processed things anymore, but my dad out and out refuses to touch anything that doesn't have pasta, rice, potatoes or bread in it. It's maddenning. We have some grocery outlets around, and go tot the bay area frequently. Thank you!

• aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I second the Cash and Carry option, I got my HWC for just over $7 a half gallon last week. Costco is another good option.
  • strawmama
    strawmama Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Wow. I live in a small town in GA and I find HWC at our local chain grocery (Harvey's) for $2 a quart. Walmart is the next cheapest here at about $4. Cheap cuts of meat? Now that's another story. We have nowhere local with good prices on meats, we usually go out of town for those.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I do dairy-free keto, so also consider skipping the HWC all together.
  • oyadancing
    oyadancing Posts: 91 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    SF Bay area, peninsula. here. Hi neighbor! :smile: I've found Costco to be cheapest for meats, shredded cheese, dairy, and eggs, in large quantities. For smaller quantities, I find Trader Joe's dairy prices - especially organic - beat Safeway. I look for sales at a small local neighborhood markets (I'm grateful to have them around.)

Do you have any Asian supermarkets nearby like 99 Ranch? They carry all kinds of cheaper meat cuts that we normally don't often see in western markets, like pork belly and shanks for stews.

$2/quart for HWC? Wow - not even at Cosco, around here! LOL
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Watch the shredded cheeses. I read they have some thing on them to keep them from sticking together that raises the carb count. I do not use it so I can not look it up for you. I just bought HWC at walmart for $4.46 per quart.
  • Nicole9187
    Nicole9187 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I buy HWC @ HEB (Texas) it is actually cheaper than Sam's Club at $3.50 per quart and over $4.25 @ Sam's, but it's possible it is cheaper for you at Sam's or costco vs. grocery store. I do buy our cheese and kerrygold butter and bacon at costco or sams'
  • KetoCutie
    KetoCutie Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Are you near a Trader Joes? That might be your best bet. Or you could just forego it and stick with a less expensive dairy fat.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,452 Member
    Options
    Nicole9187 wrote: »
    I buy HWC @ HEB (Texas) it is actually cheaper than Sam's Club at $3.50 per quart and over $4.25 @ Sam's, but it's possible it is cheaper for you at Sam's or costco vs. grocery store. I do buy our cheese and kerrygold butter and bacon at costco or sams'

I buy the vast majority of my hwc, full fat cheddar (2lbs for 6.98$), kerrygold butter, bacon, full fait daisy sour cream and such at Sam's club. It's easy and mostly the best prices.