How to configure goals to lower triglyceride

Options
Is anyone out there who can help me configure this app for a diet conducive to lowering triglycerides? Such as % of carbs, mono and poly saturated fats?

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    I cut mine down to 71 by avoiding all carbs. Try 5% or less for carbs in your food goals. It should help.

As for types of fats, all of mine are from animal sources. So tons of saturated fats. I actually pay no mind to the composition of fats. If they are animal in origin (no plant oils of any sort), they are fine by me.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Something I just learned is that if your thyroid is not functioning properly, it can cause massive increases in your triglyercide numbers. I didn't know this, but when I got on thyroid medicine and supplements, my number cut itself to less than half (it was over 260 and went down to under 120 by adding eggs daily {this dropped my overall cholesterol about 30 points in the same period}, medicine, and supplement) in less than 3 months or so. So if your numbers are scary high, I personally recommend getting your thyroid fully tested.... T3, T4, and conversion. Plus, if you are anywhere in the bottom 25% of "normal" that level may be to low for you. If you've ever had a normal reading, that's a good point of reference, but if not, there are things you can do to boost thyroid function.

Me personally, even though meds brought my level back in range, I had no symptom relief. it wasn't until I added the OTC supplement my doctor recommended that I started feeling relief - I could get out of bed in the morning, even tired, without struggling to wake up for an hour...amongst other things... But that was the most noticeable change (and I don't sleep that much 5-6 hours at most really)... So I could tell I was still tired, but it wasn't a knockout dragout fight to get out of bed anymore... (5-8 days on the supplement)...

Good luck!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    FIT_Goat wrote: »
    I cut mine down to 71 by avoiding all carbs. Try 5% or less for carbs in your food goals. It should help.

As for types of fats, all of mine are from animal sources. So tons of saturated fats. I actually pay no mind to the composition of fats. If they are animal in origin (no plant oils of any sort), they are fine by me.

Pretty much this. Thyroid issues notwithstanding, carbs are what elevate triglycerides. The fewer you eat, the lower your trigs will be, generally speaking.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    So just out of curiosity, how long after eating LCHF do cholesterol levels drop off? My doc had wanted me to come in at 3 months, which was around last week. I can push it a month or two, and I'm in week three of LCHF... So I'm wanting to go ahead and do it as early as I can in the process, but still late enough to show results... Does anyone know?
  • foochick
    foochick Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    6 months of eating a ratio of about 75% fat, 20%protein and 5% carbs from veggies brought my triglyceride levels down from 250 to 180. My doc was so impressed he wrote me a letter. lol
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So just out of curiosity, how long after eating LCHF do cholesterol levels drop off? My doc had wanted me to come in at 3 months, which was around last week. I can push it a month or two, and I'm in week three of LCHF... So I'm wanting to go ahead and do it as early as I can in the process, but still late enough to show results... Does anyone know?

It depends largely on personal health issues (which can often be compounding factors), but you should definitely see improvement at 3 months. A lot of people see improvement in as little as 3-6 weeks.
  • shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Sheese my triglycerides were 417 after not being on my thyroid meds for 7 years. Will be so interesting to see where they end up now I am back on my meds and LCHF. I do not know when Doc is going to do another lipid panel. I see him March 3. This would be right at three months LCHF.
  • eatsyork
    eatsyork Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    So just out of curiosity, how long after eating LCHF do cholesterol levels drop off?

Some people see a rise in total cholesterol from LCHF but the LDL/HDL ratio improves and the trigs go down in almost everyone. From what I've read about other people's test results after a month or two the changes should be noticeable but it's going to be highly individual obviously.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    My tricglycerides dropped from about 260 to 112 getting back on my thyroid meds. My other numbers are total: 196. LDL/HDL is 133/41. Doc wants me to get LDL down. Considering all in all, I've been LCHF for 20 days now. I want to go ahead and do the tests, but I know it won't help. So I guess I'll wait closer to 45 days. I'm just not patient. :-/