Fit Bands anyone????

Options
snaps27
snaps27 Posts: 960 Member
Hi all...so my writing hasn't been going well today...got stick looking at those fitness bands online. I've been considering it for some time. Mostly interested in seeing calories burned and maybe help with motivation.

Does anyone use one? Does it work (calorie burn wise)? Does it motivate you? Which one do you use or have heard is good??

Not liking the price of most of them...there are cheap ones out there but worried they wont work.

Replies

• kah78
    kah78 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Ive been looking too. So expensive! But I hope to start a c25k program when it gets warmer...and that would be a great asset. Im thinking of using it as a goal reward if I can keep myself on track through these cold months.
  • lulu1066
    lulu1066 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit, which I need to rename unfitbit. It is shocking how little I move during the day. I do quite a bit at the weekends though, and it buzzes when I've done 10,000 steps and that's really nice. I've synched it to mfp.
  • Juliemoo1960
    Juliemoo1960 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    They have all sorts of data that you can look at and as lulu says can be synched on mfp. Are they good value depends how well you use them not sure the wrist one is the best unless you are a runner as you move your arm a lot anyway.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I have the fit bit and Garmin. It's really motivating to keep you moving...when you wear it ;)
    My fit bit goal is for 10,000 steps/daily. I have been known for hoping out of bed before I go to sleep and walking all over the house when I'm close to goal.
    Calories all seemed pretty accurate/true burn for the activity. Steps too. I have my Garmin for running but the Fitbit was accurate on all of my short and longer runs.
  • chiccam
    chiccam Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    *hopping
  • flumi_f
    flumi_f Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I only have a garmin hrm. I have a very cheap step counter, that I haven't used in a while. For me it is of more interest to track my workouts, than my daily life. But if a fit bit motivates you, all the better!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit too. It's not the newer bracelet kind, but I really like it (when I wear it). During the day I only get about 2,500 steps (desk job) but when I wear it to the gym I get to about 7,000. Most days I don't wear it anymore because my numbers are pretty much the same each day. There isn't much I can do during the day to get much more.
  • Jmatacz
    Jmatacz Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have the polar f4 which i really like but i plan on getting the fitbit charge hr once it is out in colours other than black. I find they are good visual tools and motivate me to keep going with my workout and give me a sense of achievement after.
  • jknight001
    jknight001 Posts: 745 Member
    Options
    @snaps27 - so glad you posted this. I am thinking about a Fitbit for the future. Was so helpful to see other's experience with this technology.
  • karen_fitzgibbon
    karen_fitzgibbon Posts: 736 Member
    Options
    I've got the garmin one. I use it as a watch lol. But it goes red if I've been sitting around for too long. Making me get up and move more. It motivates me and seeing just how much I've walked during a shift at work is amazing!
  • RatherBeInTheShire
    RatherBeInTheShire Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    My husband got the Fitbit Charge HR and is loving it. I wouldn't mind having one, but I just don't want to spend the money on it right now.
  • ritchiehl
    ritchiehl Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I just got the fitbit charge HR on Friday and LOVE it. It syncs well with MFP too. My husband has the garmin one and he loves everything it does, although his does not do heart rate (you can use it with a chest strap though). All about what data you are looking to get. He doesn't do workout DVDs like I do so really doesn't need the heart rate part as much. I wear my almost all day every day. just take it off to shower. It is not water proof! so far the heart rate part has been pretty accurate. I push it up further on my forearm for a more accurate reading while working out, as the directions say to do. and usually wear it lower on my wrist when I'm at work or sleeping. love it!
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Another Charge HR user here. I used to have the flex but it started not holding its charge and I was having to charge it up every day, rather than wearing it. Had a couple of months without either but got lazy, so invested in a charge and it has got me moveing again. Heart rate on a static bike is not super accurate but rises in line with exertion.