Is coffee "clean eating"?

Options
I know a lot of clean eaters avoid coffee. But why? What's so bad about it? Is it the caffeine? If so, why is tea any better?

Replies

• UnicornAmanda
    UnicornAmanda Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I don't know... A lot of people, including myself, eat as clean as they can but still drink coffee.
  • Just115Pounds
    Just115Pounds Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Coffee has zero calories by itself, so I'm not sure...I still drink it xD
  • rendress269
    rendress269 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on an individual's definition of clean eating. I am a big coffee drinker, have cut way back and switched to an organic blend to avoid all the chemicals.

I do use 1 tsp organic sugar and organic 1/2 & 1/2 (sugar is technically not clean). This is a huge improvement for me, so I'm choosing my battles right now;)

Robin

• dmcrawley
    Options
    Coffee can be considered "clean" IMO in small amounts. Maybe 2 cups a day. Some say coffee can help fight Parkinson's disease. It is all about staying away from the sugar and processed parts of the coffee. If you can drink it black and preferably organic it may do some good for you. Personally I really limit my caffeine and stick mainly to water. But sometimes we just need the ritual and feel of a hot beverage so every morning I start with a cup of hot water with lemon and ginger and then maybe an herbal tea with honey or agave.
  • TBrownCVT
    TBrownCVT Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I'm personally not a coffee drinker, but only because I don't like the flavor.
    Coffee can actually have some positive health effects. I would recommend limiting to no more than 3 cups a day. Also, don't drink it on an empty stomach. It affects your cortisol levels when you drink coffee first thing before breakfast.
    The biggest problem with coffee is what you put in it. However, Bullet Proof Coffee (coffee with coconut oil and grassfed butter in it) is supposed to be both good and good for you.
  • grace4u2receive
    grace4u2receive Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I guess it depends on an individual's definition of clean eating. I am a big coffee drinker, have cut way back and switched to an organic blend to avoid all the chemicals.

I do use 1 tsp organic sugar and organic 1/2 & 1/2 (sugar is technically not clean). This is a huge improvement for me, so I'm choosing my battles right now;)

Robin

This is the best response I found! Switching to an organic coffee to avoid chemicals. Also avoiding other chemicals like corn syrup found in coffee creamers.

That is clean eating! Or drinking if you prefer!