Study on exercise/weight lifitng increasing body fat in Women

Options
mkozmik
mkozmik Posts: 79 Member
I find it interesting that I gain body fat when I do resistance training. I love to lift weights, and I'm not powerlifting by any means, but I visibly gain body fat. It is measurable with the tape.

I heard of a study where there are some women out there that seem to gain body fat when they begin exercise. I haven't had this problem in the past. I have no clue what to think or do. I can't find the study online. Has anyone else heard of this?

Replies

• MrsSchimmy
    MrsSchimmy Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Is the only way that you are measuring this "gain in body fat" with a measuring tape? My arms are bigger, my legs are bigger, my butt is bigger. None of which is an increase in body fat. I'm actually at a lower body fat percentage NOW than when I was 10 pounds lighter with a smaller butt, legs and arms. When I was on a bulk cycle, yes, I did gain some body fat but that was because of my nutrition... not because of any exercise. Exercise doesn't result in added body fat. That all lies in your nutrition and eating too much/too little, etc.

I'm not an expert in this field but I've done TONS of research over the years. That along with trial and error with myself. I'm a girl that lifts HEAVY but still likes to look feminine and fit. No body building comps in my future! But a bikini comp.... that's a possibility!
  • mkozmik
    Options
    Tape, mirror, and my scale has a built in body fat feature (yes, all highly inaccurate measures.

I've been in love with weightlifting ever since I started in high school sports. My senior year, I could lift more on the hip sled than the football players at my school. (I had an advantage, I rode horses every day too.) Needless to say, I love my calves and hammies. :-) I'm working on my upper body strength and making some progress there. I broke my elbow 18 months ago, so it's been a long road of rehab.

I don't lift heavy any more. Now I lift more with the goal to prevent injury (I bike & run) and stay strong. I just wish it didn't make the subcutaneous layer of fat round my middle get bigger. I'll do a review of my diet. Maybe I'm slipping something in there I'm not thinking about.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    Review your macros. Weightlifting isn't causing fat around your middle section.

According to my scale, tape and clothing size... my body fat is MUCH higher than it used to be. However, according to skin calipers, dr's tests and visible muscle tone... my body fat is lower.

Skinny jeans are a no-go unless they are EXTREMELY stretchy because my waist is a lot smaller than they think it should be in proportion to how big my butt and thighs are. But I'm ok with that. I work hard to build a booty!

I can't imagine a legitimate study would state weightlifting as a cause for gaining fat. That sounds ludicrous to me.
  • MrsSchimmy
    Options
    But the second I start eating too many carbs or too much food in general, that fat creeps on...
  • mkozmik
    Options
    I can't do the skinny jeans either. I bought some of the Gap "Real Straight" jeans early in the fall to wear with boots...and they are getting too tight in the calf and mid thigh. Good thing they have a bit of stretch...but I may have to give them up. Good thing my sister-in-law is about the same size. She teaches dance and her long lines fit those long skinny jeans better than my muscles do. :-D

Thanks for the advice. It's been very helpful.
  • floridabutterfly
    floridabutterfly Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    MrsSchimmy wrote: »
    Is the only way that you are measuring this "gain in body fat" with a measuring tape? My arms are bigger, my legs are bigger, my butt is bigger. None of which is an increase in body fat. I'm actually at a lower body fat percentage NOW than when I was 10 pounds lighter with a smaller butt, legs and arms. When I was on a bulk cycle, yes, I did gain some body fat but that was because of my nutrition... not because of any exercise. Exercise doesn't result in added body fat. That all lies in your nutrition and eating too much/too little, etc.

I'm not an expert in this field but I've done TONS of research over the years. That along with trial and error with myself. I'm a girl that lifts HEAVY but still likes to look feminine and fit. No body building comps in my future! But a bikini comp.... that's a possibility!

I honestly thought no one understands me until I saw this
  • Jo_Anna_Dark
    Options
    You should probably get a caliper and do a meticulous review of your diet..I have never heard of lifting causing any increase in bodyfat %. Gain weight? Absolutely. body fat? I just cannot see that at all. I too have a body composition scale..When my weight changes do to gains (lifting) my scale says my body fat is higher. The number is always different from my caliper.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    There are a few things that could be happening here. You could be metabolizing muscle, which would be remedied by increasing your protein consumption. You could also be seeing more fat as the underlying muscle builds and forces the fat away from the core muscles, which is just a temporary optical illusion of fat gain and can be ignored.
  • sandrarinck
    sandrarinck Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    mkozmik wrote: »
    I find it interesting that I gain body fat when I do resistance training. I love to lift weights, and I'm not powerlifting by any means, but I visibly gain body fat. It is measurable with the tape.

I heard of a study where there are some women out there that seem to gain body fat when they begin exercise. I haven't had this problem in the past. I have no clue what to think or do. I can't find the study online. Has anyone else heard of this?

That doesn't sound sound like the problem. Are you taking any medications or under a lot of stress?

• MrsSchimmy
    Options
    mkozmik wrote: »
    I can't do the skinny jeans either. I bought some of the Gap "Real Straight" jeans early in the fall to wear with boots...and they are getting too tight in the calf and mid thigh. Good thing they have a bit of stretch...but I may have to give them up. Good thing my sister-in-law is about the same size. She teaches dance and her long lines fit those long skinny jeans better than my muscles do. :-D

Thanks for the advice. It's been very helpful.

Not a problem. As they say, "Abs are built in the gym but revealed in the kitchen."

Diet is the hardest thing yet the most important aspect!