Looking for encouragement and inspiration.

Options
apesigrn
apesigrn Posts: 4 Member
Hi all, I am an RN, WCC and I work in long term care as a Nurse manager/MDS Coordinator. This job requires more sitting then my previous charge nurse duties. As a Charge nurse I easily averaged 10, 000 to 12,000 steps a day. Now I average 6000 to 8000. As a nurse manager I do spend time out on the floor with staff and patients and 1 day a week I hand all the skin problems. But this doesn't help the fact I have and office and sit much of the time. I have cleaned my office of all candy and high fat foods. I bring my own lunches. I just can't kick the need to be eating while I'm at my desk mid afternoon. I have averaged 64 oz of water a day and in the last week or so have bumped it up to 80 to 100 oz. Any ideas to help with the want to snack,

Replies

• elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I don't really know but I think high protein is best. I know I keep beef jerky in my car for when I am out shopping. I am always tempted to grab fast food or a milkshake as a snack. 1 oz of the beef jerky is like 80 calories and is perfect. nuts or cheese would be another good idea. They also make some really yummy protein bars.
  • elfof2moons
    elfof2moons Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Oh and maybe spread your lunch out. instead of sandwich, chips, and fruit eat them about an hour apart if that is possible. I eat my fruit in the morning while I am charting assuming the patients cooperate. helps tide me over so I don't end up snacking on graham crackers and PB from the nutrition room.
  • nurseinthenorth
    nurseinthenorth Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with a mid afternoon snack. Measure it out, track your calories. Make it healthy. Good old carrot and celery sticks, grapes, honestly... Kale chips are really good.. There are loads of recipes out there for them. Chew gum. If cravings for junk are overwhelming, brush your teeth... No one wants to eat after brushing teeth. Remember it's all for your best health!
  • joymomrn4
    joymomrn4 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I also had this challenge when I was an assistant nurse manager and a desk. What I found to be helpful was to eat 6 smaller calorie meals throughout the shift to keep your metabolism up. for instance, one may just be a 100 calorie yogurt, another a fist full of almonds....celery and low fat peanut butter, etc. However, I finally had to face the truth that snacking in the office was a bad habit and needed to be broken. So first I made the rule, absolutely no eating while on the computer. As nurses, we know this is unsanitary and we are not thinking about what it going into the mouth. Then, I progressed to removing myself from the office and sitting down at a table even if it was for that short 5 min. 100 -200 cal fix. If you are a woman of faith, I would also suggest you relax and pray prior to this. It makes the whole ordeal "A separate time" Hope this helps!
  • joymomrn4
    joymomrn4 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    apesigrn wrote: »
    Hi all, I am an RN, WCC and I work in long term care as a Nurse manager/MDS Coordinator. This job requires more sitting then my previous charge nurse duties. As a Charge nurse I easily averaged 10, 000 to 12,000 steps a day. Now I average 6000 to 8000. As a nurse manager I do spend time out on the floor with staff and patients and 1 day a week I hand all the skin problems. But this doesn't help the fact I have and office and sit much of the time. I have cleaned my office of all candy and high fat foods. I bring my own lunches. I just can't kick the need to be eating while I'm at my desk mid afternoon. I have averaged 64 oz of water a day and in the last week or so have bumped it up to 80 to 100 oz. Any ideas to help with the want to snack,