Eating for Training

Options

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    I only do half my long runs fasted, others I take in a lot of carbs to simulate race day intake.

Same here. I run fasted/ carb depleted earlier in my training. As I near my race I start to ramp up my carbs and experiment with fueling.
  • Roxiegirl2008
    Roxiegirl2008 Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I cannot run on an empty stomach. I have an English muffin and almond butter before my long run. My husband however can run on an empty stomach no problems. I have tried on an empty stomach and I felt slow, sluggish and got really light headed. I didn't like that feeling and hated that run. I have experimented with different types of things and that seem to work best for me. Maybe not by the book but it works for me. :D

Good luck!
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    I love the Runner's World Cookbook! It's a beautiful book, for one, but has great recipes focusing on different things: pre-run, recovery, etc., and most importantly, it's real, tasty food that you'll actually want to eat.

So much of fueling is personal. I can usually run in the mornings on an empty stomach, but on race mornings, I do an English muffin with butter and jam. In general, I follow Michael Pollan's recommendation: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.
  • runJIBrun
    runJIBrun Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    bump so I can read this later... im starting 1/2 training next week
  • hiker_chick
    hiker_chick Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    loratliff wrote: »
    I love the Runner's World Cookbook! It's a beautiful book, for one, but has great recipes focusing on different things: pre-run, recovery, etc., and most importantly, it's real, tasty food that you'll actually want to eat.

So much of fueling is personal. I can usually run in the mornings on an empty stomach, but on race mornings, I do an English muffin with butter and jam. In general, I follow Michael Pollan's recommendation: Eat food, not too much, mostly plants.

I second this! Their cookbook is solid and super yummy. It is my go-to when I want to make something healthy to fuel my running.

• CarsonRuns
    CarsonRuns Posts: 3,039 Member
    Options
    sjb74uk wrote: »
    runner475 wrote: »

Can I ask -

How is your Carb intake the day before or a day before the day you "crash" at 90 - 120 mins (I'm assuming your weekly mileage is solid and you have good running background) ?

Eating @ deficit with compromise of Carbs will generally get that "crash" state. IMHO

Low, that's the point I am trying to draw out for the OP. Going out on a long run fasted, at the back end of a week of 5 other runs, whilst carb depleted is a different prospect than if you're well fuelled. I think it's important to make that distinction.

Calorie deficit =/= carb depleted. You can eat at a 400 calorie a day deficit and still have plenty of carbs in your diet to replenish your glycogen stores.
  • rjk03
    rjk03 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I run probably 95% of the time in the morning without eating anything. For me its pretty simple. If Im hungry I will eat a banana or a protein bar 30 minutes or so before I run. If Im not hungry I go out without eating. This morning I ran 11.5 miles alternating between an easy pace and 10K pace without eating. After a run I always get some protein within a 1/2 hour. I try to keep it simple.
  • estitom
    estitom Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Check out Eat to Perform on Facebook, they post some great links about this.
  • Robbnva
    Robbnva Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    runner475 wrote: »
    CarsonRuns wrote: »
    plateaued wrote: »
    Here's an article whose advice I would not follow. It says better results for weight maintenance by running on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. Maybe bodies in Belgium are different.

http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2015/01/23/ask-well-the-best-time-of-day-to-exercise/?action=click&pgtype=Homepage&version=Moth-Visible&module=inside-nyt-region&region=inside-nyt-region&WT.nav=inside-nyt-region
    I know I do far better running in the AM on an empty stomach...

Same here. I do 98% of my running in the early morning, completely fasted. This includes marathon training runs of up to 22 miles.

Third That. Empty Stomach Training early mornings.

Yep, when I run in the morning, I don't eat and do fine
  • Robbnva
    edited March 2015
    Options
    After a run, eat a high protein/carb meal? What do people typically eat? I had bagel, eggs, and turkey sausage. Oh, and milk.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Question about the empty stomach thing. What if its a longer run like 9 miles? Still nothing or eat something?
  • litsy3
    litsy3 Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    It depends what you are used to. I don't eat before a 22 mile run (though I do always have breakfast before a race of any length).
  • loratliff
    loratliff Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Robbnva wrote: »
    Question about the empty stomach thing. What if its a longer run like 9 miles? Still nothing or eat something?

Depends. Some people don't. I don't eat before my weekday morning runs (usually 4-5 miles) but before my weekend long runs, I have a cup of coffee and something bread-y. After those, I also drink a 16 oz. chocolate milk because it's the only thing my stomach can handle for an hour or so and is quick hit of carbs, protein, and fat.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    litsy3 wrote: »
    It depends what you are used to. I don't eat before a 22 mile run (though I do always have breakfast before a race of any length).

OK what do you do during your run for fuel?

Also I ran 10 miles today. Burned lots of calories(1500) but struggling to eat all those back. Right now I'm only netting 100 calories with only 7 hours of daylight left. What can I eat to get my calories in? Don't think netting under 1k is a good idea
  • lishie_rebooted
    lishie_rebooted Posts: 2,973 Member
    Options

Also I ran 10 miles today. Burned lots of calories(1500) but struggling to eat all those back. Right now I'm only netting 100 calories with only 7 hours of daylight left. What can I eat to get my calories in? Don't think netting under 1k is a good idea

Spoon and PB.
    drink them: soda, booze, smoothie, frappe
    pizza, ice cream, etc
  • Robbnva
    Options

Spoon and PB.
    drink them: soda, booze, smoothie, frappe
    pizza, ice cream, etc

Did just get tonight dough ice cream, will have to eat some tonight lol. Like the spoon and PB idea also
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

After a weekend run, I usu go straight home and put whole cream, unsweetened cocoa, Hemo (it's like Ovaltine), 3-4 eggs, whole milk and blend and drink (I also put other spices like cinnamon and fenugreek)--thick homemade protein shake and you can adjust the calories according to how much cream you use. Since I usu run fasted, having this after my run gets me off to a good start and then I just eat normally after that. Idk if it's a good idea, but I like it.
  • Robbnva
    Options
    Thanks for that suggestion, that doesn't sound like something I'd try but, I'll definitely try and figure out some things to eat as I continue to do long runs.
  • billscreen
    billscreen Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Before every run: Electrolyte Enhanced Drink Tablets + (8 oz water)

Runs < 16 miles:
    - Before: No food
    - After: Oatmeal w/cinnamon, 1/2 banana, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee

Runs >= 16 miles:
    - Before
    FRS Energy + Endurance drink
    Clif Bar - Chocolate Chip
    Salted Watermelon GU Gel (if needed)

- After: BSN Syntha 6 Protien Powder, Oatmeal w/cinnamon, 1/2 banana, 1/2 grapefruit, coffee

In my experience, you often won't feel hungry immediately after a run; from what I recall reading, it might be because running (at certain intensities) increases blood lactate levels, which temporarily suppresses a hormone that stimulates appetite. However, I try to eat within 15 minutes of finishing my run, otherwise, when the appetite suppression wears off I'll have a voracious appetite and eat the entire lunch buffet.
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Another vote for Matt Fitzgerald's book.

I run anything up to a half marathon distance on an empty stomach (well, maybe some coffee). For runs longer than a half, I usually have a bagel -sometimes I eat it while I run, but that isn't for most people. I'm not hungry after a run, but I do have something with whey protein to help with recovery.