Fitbit to MyfitnessPal

Options
Hi guys,

Hey does anyone know why the instructions say I need to log excercise data in MyfitnessPal when Fitbit is monitoring that data automatically all day long?

Thanks,

Timothy

Replies

• walruslike
    walruslike Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I don't know... but I have noticed that if you want 'exercise cred' in your feed so you friends see it mentioned, then it needs to be entered here.

I'm not bothering because the burnt calories come over from Fitbit so that's good enough for my needs. I could be wrong about this because I'm only new to Fitbit.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Just make a wall posting about your exercise with more details.

Very true you don't need to do that.

Where are those instructions BTW that say to log all exercise in MFP?
  • slapshotgolf
    slapshotgolf Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Hi guys,

Hey does anyone know why the instructions say I need to log excercise data in MyfitnessPal when Fitbit is monitoring that data automatically all day long?

Thanks,

Timothy

Depends on which Fitbit you are using - I have the Force which does not track Heart Rate (I believe some of the newer Fitbits may have that option). Fitbit generally is used for tracking steps - your heart rate is a better determinant of your calorie burn. (2000 steps running will burn more calories than 2000 steps walking given the higher heart rate required to run vs. walk).

If your FB does not monitor HR, then you may need to add extra calories burnt above and beyond what your FB gave you credit for in steps.
  • heybales
    Options
    Well, Fitbit can tell those 2000 steps is running and will actually assign a higher calorie burn, than 2000 steps walking.

And if the distance is correct in both cases, meaning the stride length was correct, the formula used is more accurate than a HRM too, that Fitbit uses.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/774337-how-to-test-hrm-for-how-accurate-calorie-burn-is
  • sharondtd
    sharondtd Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    As I recall, when I linked the accounts, there was a message from mfp that piped up telling me to enter workouts in mfp, and let fb handle the steps, as fb was better at that. And yes, I've also noticed fb assigns more calorie burn the faster you are moving. Very good observation, heybales.
  • joehagg76
    joehagg76 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question. I have the FitBit Surge and I figured since it's tracking my calorie burn via the HR monitor when I work out, it would be doubling up to enter the workout into MFP as well. Right?
  • Virge86
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

Heybales - The instructions to log all exercise (and food) in MFP were given after you successfully connected your FB tracker to MFP. Here's the link to get you back to them: www.myfitnesspal.com/fitbit/connected. Six steps are listed, with the very first one instructing to log foods and exercises ONLY on MFP.
  • Virge86
    Options
    Hi guys,

Thanks,

Timothy

Timothy - I believe what they're saying is to only log data on MFP.com and not on fitbit.com. That's the issue - MyFitnessPal.com vs fitbit.com. It's my understanding that the exercise data on your FB tracker will transfer to your MFP log automatically when you do a sync. I'm VERY NEW with both MFP and FB, so I hope this is accurate info for you.
  • heybales
    Options
    joehagg76 wrote: »
    I had a similar question. I have the FitBit Surge and I figured since it's tracking my calorie burn via the HR monitor when I work out, it would be doubling up to enter the workout into MFP as well. Right?

No. It replaces whatever Fitbit came up with.
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you for that link to the recommendation to log workouts on MFP.

What a bunch of stupid thinking, I'm sorry, that's asinine.

They merely want you using the features of MFP so there is more logged in time, more usage time, more ad time stats, to sell to advertisers.

Never mind the fact you are replacing in many cases a much more accurate calorie burn estimate with one from the database that may have little to no variance in intensity like walking or running does.

Even Fitbit's database is better for many entries compared to MFP's, though the same database is used.

I can't believe they put all those points up, mostly filled with inaccurate statements.

Like #1 double counting if you logged it on Fitbit instead. False.
    That's the only place I log my workouts.

#2 For Fitbit to accurately track calories burned use start and duration time. False.
    That overwrites Fitbit's calories calculated which are likely best estimate.

I think I'm going to stop being a broken record to a badly written set of instructions.
    I had no idea they cared so little for creating confusion by those.

I'll probably make one topic with all the normal advice in one place, and perhaps if enough write in requesting it be a sticky, it'll help.
  • dkistner1111
    dkistner1111 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    So, if I just stop logging exercise at all, my FitBit Flex will track it all well enough and port it into MFP? That would be my preference. I thought I had to log it somewhere, though.
  • karasmama09
    Options
    Just new to this myself but for how much we pay for these and from what I have read they are pretty accurate and it is just confusing to log exercise into mfp better of letting it do it for you. Just my thoughts.
  • myfatass78
    myfatass78 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Ok it is really simple. Assuming MFP and FITBIT are linked, your day to day data will be processed from FITBIT to MFP. However, if you do exercise that cannot be calculated with the FITBIT (eg swimming and you use a heart rate monitor instead of FITBIT OR anything outside of FITBIT) then you put it in MFP. It won't double up.
  • kkauz42
    kkauz42 Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    I have the Charge HR and I have linked my Fitbit to MFP. Tonight I played a basketball game and put it in "exercise mode" if you will then stopped it when I was done. Per my Fitbit app I exercised for 56 minutes and burned 856 calories. My question is, do these 856 calories get included in the "Fitbit calorie adjustment " in my diary under "cardiovascular exercise " or do I have to manually put them in as I would if i was using a chest strap HRM??
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    heybales wrote: »

The message appears when you first link the account to MFP.

The reason you need to log exercises in MFP is purely for syncing purposes and how the FitBit and MFP connect to each other. However, it is fine if you do some sort of GPS activity with your FitBit via the phone app, and that is tracked...that won't mess up syncing with MFP.
  • NancyN795
    NancyN795 Posts: 1,134 Member
    Options
    kkauz42 wrote: »
    I have the Charge HR and I have linked my Fitbit to MFP. Tonight I played a basketball game and put it in "exercise mode" if you will then stopped it when I was done. Per my Fitbit app I exercised for 56 minutes and burned 856 calories. My question is, do these 856 calories get included in the "Fitbit calorie adjustment " in my diary under "cardiovascular exercise " or do I have to manually put them in as I would if i was using a chest strap HRM??

Those calories are included in the "Fitbit calorie adjustment".

You really only need to log exercise separately if you do something that burns significant calories that the FitBit can't track, such as swimming, weight lifting, strenuous yoga, etc. (Or if you forgot to wear your FitBit during exercise.) In those cases, I generally log the exercise, and calories, in FitBit's app and let it send the info over to MFP as a calorie adjustment, as usual. However, I think it also works to do it the other way - log the exercise in MFP (including start time, duration and calories) and have it tell FitBit about it.
  • heybales
    Options
    daj150 wrote: »
    The message appears when you first link the account to MFP.

The reason you need to log exercises in MFP is purely for syncing purposes and how the FitBit and MFP connect to each other. However, it is fine if you do some sort of GPS activity with your FitBit via the phone app, and that is tracked...that won't mess up syncing with MFP.

There is absolutely NO reason you have to log those exercises in MFP for syncing purposes and how they connect.

In fact - for all the issues people have with syncing - I'd argue it would be better to log it in Fitbit to prevent the required sync from MFP to Fitbit first, and then corrected info from Fitbit back to MFP.

If you do Fitbit first, you remove the first sync that must happen to correct Fitbit.

And not all exercise need be logged anyway.

This is purely about MFP usage for good stats for selling advertisers on.
  • heybales
    Options
    So, if I just stop logging exercise at all, my FitBit Flex will track it all well enough and port it into MFP? That would be my preference. I thought I had to log it somewhere, though.

Fitbit will log step-based exercise just fine.
    You need to manually log non-step based - swimming should be obvious, rowing, biking, elliptical, weight lifting.
    That can be done on Fitbit or MFP, same result either way except extra sync required if doing it on MFP.

If you want wall postings for others to see - just make one about the workout. Unless you love the Fitness diary and reporting functions.