Weekends - Out of Ketosis - Impact

Options
petr8888
petr8888 Posts: 47 Member
I am finding weekends tough as I go out with friends etc. Last two weeekends I got knocked out. It comes back in a day once carbs get cleared. I am not super concerned about stalling weight gain but thinking about flip flopping from ketosis and back to carbs on a regular basis. Thoughts on impact?

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    >I am finding weekends tough as I go out with friends etc.

For long-term success you're going to have to rein that in a bit. What is it about the outings that make it difficult for you to stay on-plan?
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    Plan ahead. Look up your usual haunts, and find what you can eat and find the low-carb drinks at each. That way, you can have a great time, but stay on plan. I've done this successfully many times.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Definitely look up where you'll be going and do your absolute best to stay on plan. That said, from a biology standpoint flopping back and forth is bad. Our bodies need a steady fairly predictable diet to function properly. Plus, the bacteria in your gut are specialized. If you flop back and forth it will probably cause the die off of too many of them, leading to more serious issues like lack of digestion/vomiting.
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    You won't get the added benefits of consistent steady burn energy from being in nutritional ketosis consistently and getting your body fat adapted.
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    ok heeded. but how long does it take for the body to properly adapt i wonder? i caved on the weekend and had a slice of bread. we were in a communal situation for days and i stuck to my diet right up til the last day and a few times friends made me cups of tea and they all have honey in them, so i politely drank two of them, god it tasted awful.!
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    A pieces of bread ain't gonna make you go out of ketosis, I think its only 13g carbs. The fastest way to get back in, is laying off the carbs, either by not eating much plant/food and/or water fasting for 24 hrs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • embersdream
    embersdream Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    A pieces of bread ain't gonna make you go out of ketosis, I think its only 13g carbs. The fastest way to get back in, is laying off the carbs, either by not eating much plant/food and/or water fasting for 24 hrs.

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan

thanx dan. u r the man :smiley:
  • aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Fat adaptation can take 6 weeks, up to 3 months, Dr's Volek and Phinney touch on this in much more depth if you are interested. To get into ketosis only takes 24 hours with carbohydrate restriction.

Fat adaptation means your body has fully switched to fat as it's main source of fuel and is using that fuel efficiently and effectively. Switching back and forth means your body doesn't become used to one source of fuel or the other, glucose or ketones. To get all the benefits of nutritional ketosis it is best to continuously stay in ketosis and adapt. Once fat adapted a larger amount of carbohydrate can be ingested without knocking you out of ketosis as your body wants to burn fat for fuel and glucose is now the secondary fuel source.
  • dcristo213
    dcristo213 Posts: 117 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have been fighting the same battle every weekend. It all starts with a few drinks, which turns in many drinks, and then the munchies! I've still managed to lose weight although I would probably lose more if I was more disciplined over the weekends. Even if I have a bad weekend, I make sure I stay 100% on target with my macros during the week and don't let my bad choices on weekends turn into a bad week.
  • DAM5412
    DAM5412 Posts: 660 Member
    Options
    Petr8888, I think this is what a lot of people struggle with on this WOE. Not only are we reprogramming our diets, but for a lot of us, we have to reconfigure how we socialize. I know a night out with my girlfriends usually involves food (pizza, pasta or Chinese being the favorites) and drinks (beer, wines and mai tai's depending on cuisine!), and date night is a bit of the same with maybe a concert or movie (where's my twizzlers/popcorn/soda!!). So it takes a lot of thought and effort. I have been off and on Keto since September and I know when I am consistent I feel better and lose more. But it's tough.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You're learning as you go, figuring out what works best for you. It sounds like you're pretty lucky to get back into ketosis within a day, for me it takes about three! So enjoy that NSV and Keep on Ketoing!
  • petr8888
    Options
    Thanks very much to all of you for your kind thoughts and suggestions. I went on keto for diet and have unfortunately realized that there is more here than just the diet. It is a long term health solution. I failed miserably this last weekend again and am today (Monday night) just getting ketosis re-started. I am going to have to modify my food and drinking socially as it can not be good to go back and forth. I do not have a plan - will need to just stumble through it until I figure it out.
  • petr8888
    Options
    x