Mom always scolded me for using too much mayo, cheese, butter, sour cream......

Options
Etc, etc. I was just thinking about this and thought it would be a funny thread. Growing up I remember hearing over and over "Stop using so much mayo on your sandwiches!" The bread was the problem. "Stop using so much butter on your mashed potatoes!" The potatoes were the problem. "Stop using so much sour cream and cheese on your tacos!" The tortillas were the problem.

So what are the funniest things you've had people say along the lines of the fat myths? I'm sure someone has got to have some funny or ironic stories. Anything. Make us laugh. We all need it.

Replies

• shadesofidaho
    shadesofidaho Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    My mom sending me to school in second and third grade with my cup of jello with canned fruit in it and cottage cheese. At least she did not send me with bread. But jello, Hello carbs and yes I was already heavy in second and third grade. Heck I was heavy for my age at kindergarten.
  • sweetteadrinker2
    sweetteadrinker2 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    Lasagna was always made with heart smart soups, low fat cheese, low fat ricotta, etc etc. Tasted nasty as hell, and still had the bad part: NOODLES. Also, mom was keto for 3 decades, but raised me on a carb heavy diet and never suggested keto...
  • DittoDan
    DittoDan Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    "You have to eat breakfast to get your metabolism going". (NOT!) On ketosis, every hour you don't eat, it burns fat from your body.

One time I put so much butter on a biscuit (pre-keto), my friend said, "Dan, why don't you put a little biscuit on that butter?". I have ALWAYS had cravings for Fat! (before I knew about Keto).

"Always trim all that fat off your steak"... NOT!, that's always been the best part. Pre-keto, I would, (because of my 30 years of brainwashing) actually trim the fat off my steaks ONLY if I was with other friends at the steak house. I was very overweight at the time and I didn't want them to say, (behind my back) that I was eating too much fat. But when I would eat alone, I would eat every single ounce of fat, it was the best part! Ironically, I was getting fat because of the one pound bake potato and not because of the fat (as we all know now). How deprived I was, thinking back to all the times I "trimmed the fat"... :s

I hope this helps,

Dan the Man from Michigan
  • zoom2
    zoom2 Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    My mom (and several of my friends) are convinced that my diet is unhealthy because it has no bread/grains. Meanwhile I am eating 4-6 servings of veggies EVERY day, ample protein to fuel my workouts and maintain my muscles, and eat almost no pre-packaged/processed/convenience foods. My mom is concerned that I'm missing out on the "nutrients" in grain. I had to remind her that bread and cereal is "nutritious" because it's been fortified all to Hell and that grains are not inherently healthy at all. :p
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    My mom doesn't eat red meat (not necessarily for health, just that it grossed her out at one point and hasn't eaten it since) so I grew up eating chicken, turkey, and fish. Yet I still was overweight. Remember Snackwell's and how great they were because they were low fat or fat free? Yeah, those were sometimes in the house. So we were definitely a good household with our low fat meat and low fat/fat free snacks! Can't forget about the fat free/low fat dressings!
    My mom now can see a little how fat doesn't necessarily make you fat and those fat free cookies sometimes have has many calories as regular cookies. Even with my past success eating this way, I still think the "fat is bad" mentality is engrained in her brain and was for so long even though she had also cut down on carbs and lost weight...I still feel like she judges me for getting ranch dressing instead of french. So I've been working on getting her to see that fat is okay when you reduce carbs and not be afraid.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    In defense of your mom, in terms of weight-gain it was the combo of high fat AND high carb that would've been the problem back then. Low fat diets have worked for tons of people, so just because we're all keto fans now doesn't mean that those people were wrong necessarily. I think keto has lots of benefits beyond weight/hunger management, but we don't want to get too dogmatic about it. Otherwise we're no better than the people who parroted the old mainstream advice.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    nicsflyingcircus Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    DittoDan wrote: »
    "You have to eat breakfast to get your metabolism going". (NOT!) On ketosis, every hour you don't eat, it burns fat from your body.

One time I put so much butter on a biscuit (pre-keto), my friend said, "Dan, why don't you put a little biscuit on that butter?". I have ALWAYS had cravings for Fat! (before I knew about Keto).

"Always trim all that fat off your steak"... NOT!, that's always been the best part. Pre-keto, I would, (because of my 30 years of brainwashing) actually trim the fat off my steaks ONLY if I was with other friends at the steak house. I was very overweight at the time and I didn't want them to say, (behind my back) that I was eating too much fat. But when I would eat alone, I would eat every single ounce of fat, it was the best part! Ironically, I was getting fat because of the one pound bake potato and not because of the fat (as we all know now). How deprived I was, thinking back to all the times I "trimmed the fat"... :s

I hope this helps,

To be fair, you were getting fat from over-consumption of calories. So was I.

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options

Yep, calories still matter.
  • nicsflyingcircus
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

Yep, calories still matter.

Calories are king. I was losing plenty of weight on moderation alone, but was often hungry. The switch to keto killed most of the hunger, but I didn't up my calories. CICO, plus satisfaction, woot!

• DittoDan
    edited February 2015
    Options

I hope this helps,

That's true, but the spike in the glucose level by the one pound potato followed by the fat producing insulin did more damage than the pieces of fat on the meat.

Fat was demonized. We should of been told to eat that fat and dump the carbs. So the myth was, "trim that fat off your steak...."

I hope this helps,

• nicsflyingcircus
    Options

I hope this helps,

That's true, but the spike in the glucose level by the one pound potato followed by the fat producing insulin did more damage than the pieces of fat on the meat.

Fat was demonized. We should of been told to eat that fat and dump the carbs. So the myth was, "trim that fat off your steak...."

I hope this helps,

I know what the point is, but I don't demonize any food, even carbs.

• aleehagen
    aleehagen Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I grew up on nonfat milk... ugh... Mom wasn't much of a cook. We always had the no fat or low fat equivalent of a perfectly good product though. Still grew up fat, I was 100 pounds in the second grade!
  • DittoDan
    Options
    Etc, etc. I was just thinking about this and thought it would be a funny thread. Growing up I remember hearing over and over "Stop using so much mayo on your sandwiches!" The bread was the problem. "Stop using so much butter on your mashed potatoes!" The potatoes were the problem. "Stop using so much sour cream and cheese on your tacos!" The tortillas were the problem.

So what are the funniest things you've had people say along the lines of the fat myths? I'm sure someone has got to have some funny or ironic stories. Anything. Make us laugh. We all need it.

"When at the store picking your bacon, look through the clear side panel on the package and pick the leanest or less fatty bacon."

• DarlingNikki2011
    DarlingNikki2011 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Oh yah!!!! My parents insisted I cut calories when I started gaining weight in high school. Yet, every meal was riddled with rice or potatoes. We ate veggies (which is why I love them now), but it wasn't a main player in the meal. And as a Caribbean girl... This was every meal. National breakfast is ackee with dumplings, boiled banana and yam. Can you say starch!!!! Lunch is corn beef and hard dough bread. Dinner is stew chicken with rice and peas. Oh how I have learned!!!!
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

"When at the store picking your bacon, look through the clear side panel on the package and pick the leanest or less fatty bacon."

I had kind of mixed signals growing up, since we were into the low-fat era, but my mom grew up a lot more traditionally. We had both margarine (in the tub) and butter. Crisco was commonly used in baked goods. My mom taught me to look at the "calories from fat" on labels and in general, choose the variant with the lowest number there.

We cooked our bacon on one of those microwave things that drained off the fat (which we threw away), but one of my favorite breakfasts growing up was what essentially amounted to bacon and mayo on toast.

I had a tendency to eat the (real) butter straight, much to my mom's dismay.
  • hippygirl325
    hippygirl325 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for replying. I know my mom and probably everyone else's had the best of intentions in telling us how to eat and what to eat less of. After all, they truly believed that the fat was bad for us, and what good parent wouldn't tell their child not to do something they think will hurt them? My grandmother was on the low-fat or fat-free everything kick even more than my parents, and I ate a lot at her house. Lots of carbs! Peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or bologna sandwiches with low fat or fat free mayo and corn chips or cheetos and chocolate milk was always my after school "snack." Yes, the excess calories are what made me become overweight, and I can take responsibility for that, but now I truly believe it was the carbs that caused me to crave and binge eat.