Who actually finished the 6 week plan?

Options
kelleman1
kelleman1 Posts: 148 Member
I was searching 'eat to live' in the forums, and was excited to come across this group.

I'm currently doing the 6 week plan, and have 1 day left in the 4th week. It's been an eye-opening experience, but honestly, I'll be glad when it's over.

Just curious if anyone finished it, and what their thoughts were.

Thanks! :)

Replies

• Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,935 Member
    Options
    Hi kelleman1, welcome :) I am mildly embarrassed to admit I've only made it through 6 weeks once, a couple years ago. I have tried several times since, but seem to hit a wall around the 4th week and the starches start creeping back in. They are my biggest temptation/downfall. I've been pretty well stuck at about 20 pounds over my goal weight for the past couple years and I keep thinking I need to do the full 6 week plan again to get past this.

That is great you are 4 weeks down! How has it been for you? It still amazes me how much more energy I have and how good I feel when I stick closely to ETL guidelines.

Feel free to jump into the monthly threads. We'll be starting a new one for February, but you can join anytime.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I've never done it. :smile: My eating was pretty Mediterranean like when I read EtL so I just incorporated more of the principles. I *should* do it.

I really should!
  • coueswhitetail
    coueswhitetail Posts: 309 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I have trouble eliminating meat, dairy, coffee and alcohol, so I have never done it strictly. But I have radically changed how we are eating and now eat as many fruits and veggies as I can and make a lot more meatless meals. Eating GBOMBS daily is a goal. Luckily we always at a lot of onions and mushrooms and spinach. But now we have added more beans,berries ,seeds and even more leafy greens.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I have trouble eliminating meat, dairy, coffee and alcohol, so I have never done it strictly. But I have radically changed how we are eating and now eat as many fruits and veggies as I can and make a lot more meatless meals. Eating GBOMBS daily is a goal. Luckily we always at a lot of onions and mushrooms and spinach. But now we have added more beans,berries ,seeds and even more leafy greens.

This was me. I had a hard time picturing 6 weeks without any fish or cheese (or wine).
    My red meat consumption is pretty minimal (once a month?) so that would be easy enough. Granted, it's easy now that I've figured out that red meat causes my hot flashes, night sweats and probably my migraines!

I aim for GBOMBS daily as well. I usually get the greens, beans, berries, mushrooms and seeds in my breakfast, then work the onions in later. Though I did add the onion once or twice. A GBOMBS smoothie.
  • kelleman1
    Options
    Thanks for all the input, it helps to hear from people who are familiar with it.

Thankfully, I don't drink alcohol, or coffee, so that isn't an issue for me.

I do miss cheese though!
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I like the idea of the 6 week plan, but I am a bit concerned about calories and protein. When I tried to cut out oils and processed protein, I was averaging about 800 calories a day and less than 30 grams of protein (for like 3 days, then freaked out and quit). If anyone has done the 6 weeks or is doing it and has an open diary, I'd love to see how you meet your protein and energy needs.

I am definitely eating a lot more produce and a lot less packaged foods though, and feeling much better. I will be ramping the protein powders and meat analogues back up as I get back into training, but I am going to try replacing oils with more nuts and seeds to see how that goes. I am so used to relying on oils for calories, I think oil free cooking may be a struggle. I like crispy everything now, lol.

Congrats on 4 weeks in, you are 2/3 of the way there. You should be proud :)
  • kelleman1
    Options
    Thanks! I honestly don't think this plan supplies enough protein. My body has been screaming for eggs, so I've been trying to eat more nuts and such. Eggs are the first thing I'll eat when this is done! I haven't been working out either, because I don't have the calories and protein to spare.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I guess it depends on what "enough" is. I had 60 grams yesterday (1500 calories) with only a tiny bit of cheese (maybe 1 ounce).
    I do think he's right that we are (as a society) overestimating the role of protein.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    You're probably right, Sabine. When I train my coaches have me eat 150g a day, so anything under 70 or 80 seems really low, even though the CDC recommendation is only 46 grams for women.

My other problem protein-wise is that I can't stand the texture of cooked greens, and it's hard to get a sufficient amount of protein and iron from raw greens because they are so filling. I think if I could actually get a couple hundred calories worth of spinach or other leafy greens a day, I'd be fine. I try to sneak them into smoothies and sauces, and I eat a big salad for lunch most days, but it's still only 50-60 or so calories on a typical day.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    You're probably right, Sabine. When I train my coaches have me eat 150g a day, so anything under 70 or 80 seems really low, even though the CDC recommendation is only 46 grams for women.

My other problem protein-wise is that I can't stand the texture of cooked greens, and it's hard to get a sufficient amount of protein and iron from raw greens because they are so filling. I think if I could actually get a couple hundred calories worth of spinach or other leafy greens a day, I'd be fine. I try to sneak them into smoothies and sauces, and I eat a big salad for lunch most days, but it's still only 50-60 or so calories on a typical day.

tofu and hemp in your smoothies? :smile:
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Lots of beans in your salad
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    Thanks JCN and Sabine. I have readjusted my macro goals to reflect the fact that I am not currently training, and I am going to try to get more of the protein I do need from whole foods. That also lets me increase my fats and carbs, so I won't have to stress about the fat in nuts or the carbs in beans. My new goal is about 50-70g of protein a day, down from 90-120.

I am thinking of trying silken tofu in my smoothies instead of powder, and maybe cooking and pureeing greens to add into sauces, stews, etc. Again, it's not the taste, it's the soggy, wilted texture *shudder*

Do you guys consider seitan and tofu to be whole foods or processed? They don't generally have many additives, but are "refined" protein with fibre and other nutrients stripped.
  • JCN80
    JCN80 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Dr Fuhrman says that tofu is fine (very minimally processed), but seitan is empty calories. I still have seitan occasionally as a treat though. I love bbq seitan ribs :)
  • Mihani
    Mihani Posts: 3,935 Member
    Options
    Peas, I eat tofu pretty often. I love it in scrambles or baked. But I try to stick more to beans. I use frozen spinach in my smoothies. I got the idea from someone on this board, had never thought of using frozen. You don’t even taste it in the smoothie if you have fruit in there. I use plantfusion protein powder a lot of mornings. I know you said you didn’t like that one, but in a smoothie you probably wouldn’t even notice it.

The pureed greens added to soups and stews is a great idea if you don't like the texture. I like to add greens to things when I can for the nutritional boost.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited February 2015
    Options
    We eat tofu often. I'd be lost without it.
    I use frozen spinach and kale. Lately we've been using costco frozen spinach and Kale (organic).
    But I do add tofu for smoothie-ness sometimes. Like avocado.
    And hemp hearts.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    Options
    I tried the hiding it in the sauce trick at dinner. I chopped 100g of field greens really fine in the food processor and put it in the marinara sauce I had with red lentil rotini. If anything it made the sauce even better :) .
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    I tried the hiding it in the sauce trick at dinner. I chopped 100g of field greens really fine in the food processor and put it in the marinara sauce I had with red lentil rotini. If anything it made the sauce even better :) .

fabulous!
  • kelleman1
    Options
    I can't find the tofu love.

MakePeas, I should hide veggies in sauce more often, too!!

I went out on a date with the husband last night. Made good choices, but had to send my food back because they brought me a meat patty instead of a veggie patty. I feel for people who have legitimate food issues, they mess up special orders a lot. I did end up having some fries, which I won't feel bad about. However, my body was not happy with that choice later on. I never reacted to food like that in the past, I'm just guessing it was because I haven't had stuff like that in over 4 weeks. I had a salad, and edamame, too. Everything was free for a special event, and I almost wanted to full on cheat. They even brought us popcorn and nachos that we didn't ask for because they messed up our order. However, I did not indulge. there weren't any desserts I could have, so I didn't have any of that, either. Places need more vegan options!