The dreaded bridesmaid dress...

Options
I am the Matron of Honor in my sister in-laws upcoming wedding. I just got the text that we will be going to shop for bridesmaid dresses on the 28th of this month. I have been doing so well for the past month, but this is definitely one of those things that could derail all my progress. With over 100 lbs to lose the thought of a dress shopping trip with everyone asking my size as we look for dresses scares the crap out of me and makes me want to run for the cupcakes and chips! I know this is not the answer and I will do my best to stay on track, but could use any support you may have to offer?

Replies

• JanetC1971
    JanetC1971 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It's hard to try on clothes when we aren't where we want to be (fit, smaller, etc). I know I have a closet full of clothes that are waiting for me to fit into them. I hate to sound cliche but it is only a size and think of how many different things you have that are either a size way smaller or a size way bigger but they both fit the same. I blame the designer :smile: You got this!!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Just wanted to pipe up and say that Im sorry...bridal shopping can be THE WORST for fat and body shaming. Im not sure that I have any helpful advise, Im pretty bad myself with binging and hating my own body, but I wanted to let you know you arent alone! Best of luck, do the best you can before the shopping day and try to love the body you have.

If you start feeling bad about yourself while dress shopping....remember you are a work in progress-and those dress sizes are CRAZY small (its not you, its the dress. You are awesome!)
  • Momnoon1977
    Momnoon1977 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Thank you! As a note I think the communal dressing rooms at David's Bridal should be outlawed!
  • Kirstie155
    Kirstie155 Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    When I got married I just wore my mothers dress-we didnt step foot into a bridal store once! I hate David's Bridal, my sister chose her BM dresses from there for her wedding, but that was one of the years I was at my thinnest, and had been working out a ton, eating right, so dress shopping was ok because I felt so great. I was a size 12 and felt amazing. The staff there is terrible, and they are bad at body shamming-even when I felt so good about myself if that makes sense.
    Ive since gained about 15 pounds back and cant fit into it anymore, and feeling much worse about myself.

Again sorry I dont have anything helpful to say....but you are so not alone.
  • carlaunderconstruction
    Options
    Momnoon, I feel your pain. I had to go bridesmaid dress shopping this past summer, and it is very difficult if the other bridesmaids are alot smaller.
    Suggestions:
    1. Practice as much self care, and self love as you can everyday!
    2. Look in the mirror and tell yourself something you love about your body.
    3. Talk to your sister in law, voice your concerns about dress shopping
    4. Find out what dress lines your sister in law is interested in, go to there websites to look at there sizing information, and measure yourself.
    5. Be honest about your current measurements, you can always have the dress taken in later.
    6. Be prepared for sample sizes. A lot of stores won't have large samples available, and other times you will have to step out of a dressing room with your back hanging out of a dress just so people can get an idea of what it l