Sticking Together

Options
chamblisk
chamblisk Posts: 296 Member
I am glad to see we are sticking together on this post even with the loss of Teresa. I have been racking my brain to figure out why her Vivofit was so wacky since I also use one. It is not perfect but has certainly focused my attention on my goals. I think I figured out what happened! Vivofit has a "Steps Taken" AND "Steps to Goal" as you scroll through. I got almost the same reading she did when she thought she had burned an extraordinary number of calories after a walk. I think she may have misread the "Steps to Goal" instead of the "Calories Burned".
In any case, I am reaching that point in life where I can no longer put off taking care of ME. We can do this....there is no one else that can do it for us!! I venture to say we have all spent a lot of time taking care of everyone else (I have 4 kids). Our time has come.
If anyone wants to befriend me, we can work on our goals together. For me, that is losing weight, becoming more fit, eating better, feeling better about myself.

Replies

• bethlauren8
    bethlauren8 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you chamblisk. With all the positive support we give each other our journey will be that much easier.
  • Susanne_Violette
    Susanne_Violette Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm here. I started on the first of the year taking my health seriously (weighed 191lbs). I don't see losing weight as a destination, more an education on healthier living. So when I finally do reach that goal (130 lbs) of comfortable healthy weight I will have learned and made new friends. We can do this.
  • Kekineo
    Kekineo Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    I completely agree with all of you. Susanne I feel exactly the same way. This is NOT a diet for me it's an education in lifestyle change. I guess it's age because I feel so much better about this than any "diet" I've ever been on. I'm ready to focus on myself for a change. Raised 3 kids. On my profile it says "sick of feeling *kitten*" and it's so true. I'm tired of everything hurting and getting winded just walking to my car. Since I started im feeling better, sleeping better and truth be known eating better! The encouragement and support I get here gets me through those rough spots. We can do this! Let's stick together and "Git 'er done!"
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Hi, all. Thought I should give a little bit about my journey so far. My first goal was handed to me by my son for Christmas...a Vivofit so I could swim with a purpose. It had NOT been on my wish list. :wink: I promised myself I would try to meet the "Steps" goal every day. Since then, I have missed the mark a few times, but I am much more aware of when I have been sedentary too long and find myself getting up and moving. I will not beat myself up over missing the small daily goals....it is no reason to give up on the BIG GOAL....a healthier, happier me. So, Lesson #1 - Don't give up. Baby steps will get me where I'm going. It took years to arrive where I am.
    - I am moving on to goal 2. JourneybyT was my first foray into the Communities and Blogs on MFP. I have been going through some threads and spending way too much time totally confused by all the information. So I will find a few friends who are traveling a similar path and hopefully we can support and learn from each other.
  • Kekineo
    Options
    I totally agree. There's way too much information out there and a lot of articles contradict each other. I just want to be healthy. Thin is also a goal of course. If we all stick together we will do this. If I can help anyone I'm here. God knows I need help too! Thanks everyone for the support. It's nice to see others in the same struggle especially when surrounded by people who don't need to watch their weight. I still have 117 lbs to go so I'll be around for awhile lol.
  • poutchikins
    poutchikins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I could not agree more. JourneybyT is also for me the first time I have joined a Group and I must say I really enjoy checking the postings every day....this week, I have been really conscious of what I am consuming ....even skipped a glass of wine last night for water w/a little cordial in it for taste....so yes, count me in too and I look forward to travelling this road with you all!
  • chamblisk
    Options
    Confession time....*sigh*
    Yesterday started out with a nice workout and feeling pretty good. Then the normal workday stress kicked in and I found by the end of the day I had done a total "mindless eating" binge of devouring an entire box of Cheez-It Grooves. Yikes!! I knew it was happening and yet felt powerless to stop the urge. I'd grab a couple and put the box away. Yet I came back time after time until I just left the box on my desk. I almost didn't come back to MFP or at least, not post the damages, but .... here I am. Just the short time we have been on this thread and I feel like I am accountable.
    So, another day...and I need to try to undo some of the damage done.
  • poutchikins
    poutchikins Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    @chamblisk‌ : this happens to all of us as otherwise, why would posting on the MFP threads or even reading them? Food is the enemy and we just have to learn how to fend it off! I just found out this week that I was overestimating my portion size for breakfast - I was not measuring, just pouring the stuff in my breakfast bowl and when I finally decided to measure it out, I was really surprised that I was using nearly a cup and a half of cereal rather than a quarter cup....I could not believe it would be such a big difference and now I do get my little measuring cups out every time and it does help....although this week, I have not lost any weight on the scales, I can feel the difference in my body though....of course, this could just be wishful thinking on my part! LOL
  • lilyandree59
    Options
    I totally agree poutchikins. Never stop trying and measure, measure and weight, weight! :smiley:
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    The best part of WW for me was going to the meetings and getting weighed in by the leader because I felt I was accountable to someone. That was whet kept me trying to do well. I am so glad we are able to help you try to stay on track, Chamblisk, and that you know we will not judge you because we have all done the same. Just the fact that you are willing to not give in because of one bad day shows how far you have come. Try to remove the temptations, or replace them with something a little more nutritionally sound.

I get out my measuring cups and spoons for everything because I also underestimate amounts Poutchikins. It's sometimes disheartening to see the actual portion sizes of food, knowing how much I had been giving myself before measuring. But I am hoping that eventually I can learn to recognize proper portion sizes without the use of measuring devices. It will take time, but I'll get there.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    Glad we are all sticking together. We can relate to each other and the mindless "traps" we fall into, (mine was an entire box of chocolates). This can be done, we will fall, we just have to get back up.
  • Kekineo
    Options
    We're all on the right track. That's why we're here. To help each other and to be accountable. I'm a little OCD so I obsess about everything food related and am very self critical that's why it's comforting knowing I have support from all of you.
  • marekdds
    marekdds Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    We are often our own worst enemies.
  • bethlauren8
    Options
    Learning how to not be critical of ourselves is one of the keys to helping ourselves. I think it is more helpful for me to think "I can do this" vs "I wouldn't have to do this again if I stuck with it last time". I'm trying - not always successful - but trying.
  • Kekineo
    Options
    Amen!