Feet and ankles

Options
jillshadow
jillshadow Posts: 76 Member
Hi everyone. Being a big girl (I weigh about 269 right now) I am lucky and have not experienced any weight related aches or pain. Except in my feet/ankles. I know some of you girls power walk/jog, but I am not sure I could ever do that at my weight. My feet and ankles kill me to the point where it literally takes my breath away. Its not a matter of muscle burn and stamina, this is actual pain. I can get around and walk just fine, its just over time (about 15 minutes or so) I get a burning in my ankles and the arch in my foot feels taut, strained, and also has the burning sensation. I have been to a foot doctor as I am diabetic and had to anyways, and he told me to use a heel insert (which didn't work) and gave me a cortisone shot in the ankle. It also did not work. He never did anything for the arch. He took x-rays and those were all normal. He watched how I walk and was unremarkable about it. I have these Leslie Sansone workout dvds, and I love them, they give me a great workout and I feel so good inside doing it. Only it is very very difficult for me and I have to stop every other minute so I feel like I am not getting the full workout, even if I make sure to move my arms at least while I am stopped. Do any of you have problems with this? If so, are there any remedies you have tried, or is this potentially just an overweight thing that I have to get used to until I lose weight?

Replies

• Marylandry89
    Marylandry89 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Actually, it sounds an awful lot like plantars fasciitis (not sure how to spell it). I have had this since I was in junior high and doing a lot of sports. There are "special" inserts that they can have fitted for you which help a lot of people. My mother has it too and she swears by them! But me on the other hand, they were too painful for me to get used to. I just make sure I wear really good supportive shoes. I also pretty much NEVER go bare foot. Far too painful. Usually I wear foam flip flops around the house so at least I walk on cushion. It sounds bad, but the more you work and build those muscles, the more you will get used to it and/ or the pain will start to subside. Also a good trick is rolling your feet over frozen water bottles at the end of the day or an intense work out. Every pound you lose will make everything so much better for your feet too! I hope that helps some. :smiley:
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis, which for me is heel pain. It helps me to do calf stretches to ease this pain. Good shoes can help with some of it. I've had no luck with inserts, but saucony sneakers help a lot.

I also have nerve pain in the ball of my foot. I had it looked at and the doctor told me all the weight made the bones squeeze the nerves. I take aleve when it's bad, but don't have any exercises for it.
  • softblondechick
    softblondechick Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    I had that, the only shoes I could wear were New Balance, and I had a special insert made for the shoes. I had constant pain. I felt crippled. I also had a job where I was constantly on my feet. I paid for extra padded socks.

What helped was losing weight. I don't have that pain any longer, at 230.
  • jillshadow
    Options
    Hmm. Sounds like I need to see a different podiatrist. Either way, its been about half a year since I upped my physical activity (my mode of transportation ended up in the hospital and cannot drive any more) by having to walk to the store for my groceries. In that time it has made no difference in the pain. In fact, sometimes it seems worse. I also have extremely tiny feet for a woman (I wear a 6-6 1/2 shoe size) so that may contribute to the problem. I am inclined to think I just need to get the weight off now. Although it would be ideal to see a podiatrist one more time to see if I do, in fact, have a medical condition. I just cannot afford the cost right now.
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    It should improve as you get lighter. Rolling your foot on a tennis ball should help also. Don't walk around barefoot at home. I wear Oofos when I'm in the house and it's made a really big difference for me. Check it out:
    http://www.oofos.com/
  • Rachelerik
    Rachelerik Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    betsysjl wrote: »
    I have plantar fasciitis, which for me is heel pain. It helps me to do calf stretches to ease this pain. Good shoes can help with some of it. I've had no luck with inserts, but saucony sneakers help a lot.

I also have nerve pain in the ball of my foot. I had it looked at and the doctor told me all the weight made the bones squeeze the nerves. I take aleve when it's bad, but don't have any exercises for it.

Same issues with PF... Had special orthotics made and they really helped to eliminate the pain. Then got the pinched nerve stuff... My doctor put a self-stick cushioning pad under the ball of the foot on top of the orthotic (I adjusted it as needed to get it in the correct place) and the pain went away. I don't go barefoot often because the pain comes back quickly. I wore out the custom inserts and bought off the rack ones for arch support at REI (good choices or hiking foot/ankle support) and put new pads on them for the pinched nerves... No Pain.
  • jillshadow
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    It should improve as you get lighter. Rolling your foot on a tennis ball should help also. Don't walk around barefoot at home. I wear Oofos when I'm in the house and it's made a really big difference for me. Check it out:
    http://www.oofos.com/

Which do you use? The clogs or the flip flop ones?

• socialone74
    socialone74 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I am not diabetic and not certain if my post applies -- but wanted to share! So very sorry JillShadow for the pain!

Workout: My feet used to burn, go numb and blister.... my issue was due to not wearing the correct type of shoes and socks. I went to a store that did the gait analysis and bought shoes and socks from them (you can do the analysis and buy the ones you like online for cheaper too)

Daily: I stopped wearing fashion based shoes that didn't fit and mangled my feet

Soothing: Epson salts in warm/very warm water soak and do "ballet" foot stretches afterwards (I bellydance and get really bad foot cramps)
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I wear the oofos flip flops around the house. I hope your pain subsides. :'(
  • jillshadow
    Options
    RENAEJAE wrote: »
    I wear the oofos flip flops around the house. I hope your pain subsides. :'(

Thank you :) It is something I have been struggling with forever. Even when I was younger and a lot lighter I still had these issues. I just wish I could go see the podiatrist to know exactly what is wrong or if it is just the weight. Alas, even though I have really good insurance (hooray for amazon!) I still have a pricey co-pay which I cannot afford as I already see a primary care and psychiatrist doctor.
  • mainebeachbum
    mainebeachbum Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    "Super feet" inserts are reasonable and work for a lot of people, but I would call around to local shoes stores that sell athletic shoes and find out if any have a Pedorthist on staff that can find the proper type of shoe for you. They may also give you a guarantee if the new footwear doesn't help.
  • jillshadow
    Options
    Everybody cross your fingers! Got an appointment with a podiatrist tomorrow!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your appointment!

Do you have very high arches? I had a similar problems in my teens when I would cross-country ski.

If you don't get an answer from the doctor, just avoid doing walking for exercise. A combination of swimming and weight-lifting might work until you lose more weight.
  • jillshadow
    Options
    Just got done at the podiatrist earlier today. X-rays were exceptionally good, the doc said. That frustrated me because it means its not something that can be treated.The doc did say my gait was off though. Apparently I walk with my ankles bent at a weird ankle or something like that. I didn't understand what he told me, but thats what I got out of it.The only thing the doc could do was make a mold of my foot to make inserts. I have had inserts before and they haven't helped. Then again they weren't medically specialized. Now I have to wait 2 and a half weeks for them to come in. That is a very long time when you want it fixed now! I am so excited to see if they work. I want to jog and walk distances I've never walked before. I am hoping this gives me the relief I need.