Are you guys doing some other cardio/workouts on top of the shred?

Options
Shred is just 20 mins of exercise. I want to do atleast 50-60 mins of workout 5 times a week. What are you guys doing besides the shred? It already has a lot of strength training, so perhaps more cardio would be a better option? Thoughts?

Replies

• pinkvici
    pinkvici Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm hoping to incorporate other DVDs (although I'm on day 4 and haven't managed it yet!).

I'm in the UK and I'm going to do Josie Gibson and Charlotte Crosby
  • KindaSortaKaty
    KindaSortaKaty Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Walks with my baby girl, I picked the shred because it's only 20 minutes and as a new mom that's greaT!
  • wenditos
    wenditos Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    2x a week I am doing a spin class. The other days I am walking the dog, and just trying to incorporate small bursts of cardio into my day with my family.
  • BrownsFan19
    BrownsFan19 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I go to Curves for a 30 minute workout 5 times a week and I'm taking 2 fitness classes a week. PiYo and Pound.
  • jusbowers
    jusbowers Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I go for a 5k run 4 or 5 times a week which I love as it's my me time to get my head straight for the work I need to get done and it gets me out of the house and into the fresh, and very cold at the moment, air.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    IMO, 30DS is not enough to be considered strength trng. I do strength trng with heavy weights, swimming, Bikram yoga and if enough time various cardio workouts such as spinning. Stepmill, etc
  • agentmelindamay
    agentmelindamay Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I have a workout schedule that includes lots of other Jillian dvds that I'm working through. Trying to average around 60 mins a day plus walking.
  • coulibalymuso
    coulibalymuso Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Just doing the 20 min a day is just about what I can handle right now, although in the future I would love to incorporate kettle bell training
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    priyaFitnessFreak Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Walks with my baby girl, I picked the shred because it's only 20 minutes and as a new mom that's greaT!

I'm walking a lot as well. Atleast an hour every day. Enjoy your precious walks with your baby! That's so cute! :)
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    Options
    swrlygrl wrote: »
    2x a week I am doing a spin class. The other days I am walking the dog, and just trying to incorporate small bursts of cardio into my day with my family.

My routine will be similar to yours. Running 2 mile intervals twice a week. Walks on the other days.

• priyaFitnessFreak
    Options
    I have a workout schedule that includes lots of other Jillian dvds that I'm working through. Trying to average around 60 mins a day plus walking.

Awesome! Would love to hear your opinion on the other Jillian videos! Which one would you recommend after the shred? Currently, even level 1 shred is tough for me. So I'm looking to gradually increase my strength.
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    Options
    Thanks a lot for all your answers! You guys rock!
  • wenditos
    wenditos Posts: 22 Member
    Options

My routine will be similar to yours. Running 2 mile intervals twice a week. Walks on the other days.

Oh how I actually miss running. I wasn't a long distance runner but loved doing 3 mile intervals. I had to stop due to bone spurs and plantar fasciitis in both feet then on top of that I severely sprained my ankles 2x in 45 days :( I am hoping by losing this weight and slowly strength in my core I might get back to running in a year
  • agentmelindamay
    Options

Awesome! Would love to hear your opinion on the other Jillian videos! Which one would you recommend after the shred? Currently, even level 1 shred is tough for me. So I'm looking to gradually increase my strength.

Ripped in 30 is a good one to do after shred as it's the same format but just a bit tougher imo. I also really like no more trouble zones- not much cardio in it but a great overall workout for toning and strength. I also looove her kickboxing ones as they are only 20 mins and I find them really fun!
  • trying4real
    trying4real Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I was thinking today about doing the shred vid twice daily, I also have a elliptical and a gym in one thing. My thighs were having a hard time with the elliptical so I started the shred to help build those muscles up.
  • r_achael1
    Options
    I was hoping to start running again more regularly, I stopped when doing my thesis in the summer then never got back into it again. Went for a half hour run yesterday and my feet are in so much pain! I don't know why :( and weirdly I now ache from the run but level 1 didn't make me ache.. So if my feet stop hurting I will keep up the running on top of the shred and I'm hoping to fit in swimming once a week too!
  • AliciaJade93
    AliciaJade93 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I'm doing fitness blender workouts on YouTube every day, but Tuesday and Saturday are rest/low impact cardio (fitness blender vids), so basically a little harder than a warm up or stretch just to keep my muscles and joints flexible and to keep them from being inactive. I jog 3 days a week also xxx
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    edited February 2015
    Options

Oh how I actually miss running. I wasn't a long distance runner but loved doing 3 mile intervals. I had to stop due to bone spurs and plantar fasciitis in both feet then on top of that I severely sprained my ankles 2x in 45 days :( I am hoping by losing this weight and slowly strength in my core I might get back to running in a year

You definitely will! I've been getting so many injuries ever since I started piling on the weight. And by the way, my husband has plantar fasciitis in both feet too. He recently lost 20 pounds and it's getting much better. He has 10 more to lose and is hoping it might get to a point where he doesn't even notice it much!
  • priyaFitnessFreak
    Options

Ripped in 30 is a good one to do after shred as it's the same format but just a bit tougher imo. I also really like no more trouble zones- not much cardio in it but a great overall workout for toning and strength. I also looove her kickboxing ones as they are only 20 mins and I find them really fun!

Thanks! I will try them out after the shred. I've always wanted to do kickboxing. Can someone who's never done kickboxing before do that video?
  • agentmelindamay
    Options

Thanks! I will try them out after the shred. I've always wanted to do kickboxing. Can someone who's never done kickboxing before do that video?
    Totally! I'd never done any before and have found it fine. There's a section on the dvd where she explains all the different kicks/punches as well which is really useful before you start to get your form right.