Has anyone seen my sweet tooth?

Options
I am 11 weeks post-surgery. A strange thing has happened. Somewhere over the last 11 weeks, my sweet tooth has gone missing. It loved ice cream so I tried some of that, but it did not come back for the ice cream and I gave up after 3 spoons of it. Today I tried to lure it back with cake, but after 2 bites, the cake got dumped because my sweet tooth was no where in sight. If you had told me prior to surgery that my sweet tooth would disappear I would have laughed at you, because my sweet tooth and I were lifelong bosum buddies... or so I thought. I think this must be proof that removing sugars from your daily diet helps eliminate any craving you have for them--at least physically. I just would never have believed that I would be a person who would crave a salad more than cake.

Replies

• ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Loriloftness,
    I have had the same thing happen to me now sweets taste different and my stomach doesn't like them.

Randy
  • readallday
    readallday Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    This was me and Diet Coke. I was in a RELATIONSHIP with Diet Coke before my surgery. Then, while on vacation, I decided to let myself indulge in my first glass in 4 months and I took one sip and threw the rest out. All I could taste was artificial sweeteners and chemicals. I was a little sad about it because I was so looking forward to that first sweet taste. It is funny how our tastes change so much through this process.
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    My relationship with ice cream pre-surgery was not a healthy one so I have chosen not to renew the relationship. It's been 4 years since I've had any and I honestly don't miss it. I still occasionally want to visit with the flavored potato chips, but most times can resist. :) Coffee is really the only thing I was addicted to pre-surgery that I am still addicted to post, but I do limit it or I can't get my water in.

I will tell you though that if you keep pushing yourself you may just find that sweet toooth returning. The farther out from surgery I get the easier it is to eat things like cake and candy without that sick feeling. My advice? If you struggled with eating something in moderation pre-surgery, don't bother reintroducing it to your food plan post surgery at all. Our stomachs are much smaller but our food adictions and issues are still with us. They are masked for a bit post surgery, but eventually they will come back because they aren't physical, they are mental, and the surgery doesn't change the mental.
  • rpyle111
    rpyle111 Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I had always been a black coffee drinker. I love the bitterness and the 'clean' feeling on my tongue. When I switched to decaf in preparation for the surgery, I find the decaf process leaves an off taste when black, so I started adding a little sweetener. Currently, i take most of my protein powder mixed with decaf. I think I am developing a sweet tooth, as least as far as coffee is concerned.

• garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    Options
    pawoodhull wrote: »
    I will tell you though that if you keep pushing yourself you may just find that sweet toooth returning. The farther out from surgery I get the easier it is to eat things like cake and candy without that sick feeling. My advice? If you struggled with eating something in moderation pre-surgery, don't bother reintroducing it to your food plan post surgery at all. Our stomachs are much smaller but our food adictions and issues are still with us. They are masked for a bit post surgery, but eventually they will come back because they aren't physical, they are mental, and the surgery doesn't change the mental.

This. My feeling is, why tempt fate, or test yourself? My tastes have changed over and over in the 16 months since my surgery. It's tough enough to deal with that without re-introducing foods that were previously trigger foods. I have kept a lot of foods I used to eat off my list of choices. I am just not willing to stand at the top of a potentially slippery slope. This honeymoon period is really great, but things do change!

• janet0513
    janet0513 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I have not been very interested in sweets either. A bite settles my cravings. It just doesn't do it for me. The only things that I have enjoyed is a teaspoon of peanut butter with a couple mini dark chocolate chips which is weird because I never really liked dark chocolate.
  • freedomfighter1
    freedomfighter1 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    garber6th wrote: »
    pawoodhull wrote: »

This. My feeling is, why tempt fate, or test yourself? My tastes have changed over and over in the 16 months since my surgery. It's tough enough to deal with that without re-introducing foods that were previously trigger foods. I have kept a lot of foods I used to eat off my list of choices. I am just not willing to stand at the top of a potentially slippery slope. This honeymoon period is really great, but things do change!

This. Brilliantly said !
  • mfpdevotee
    Options
    This was me and Diet Coke. I was in a RELATIONSHIP with Diet Coke before my surgery. Then, while on vacation, I decided to let myself indulge in my first glass in 4 months and I took one sip and threw the rest out. All I could taste was artificial sweeteners and chemicals. I was a little sad about it because I was so looking forward to that first sweet taste. It is funny how our tastes change so much through this process.

at least it was DIET Coke....mine was with regular coke.. i ended my relationship prior to surgery and do not dare temp my trigger...happy for you that you tried it and then had to toss it out!!!
  • rscpjim
    rscpjim Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Yeh I had a love affair with diet soda too. I had to kick it while on pre op. and since I hadnt had one in over a month it was easy post op no to want one. Let alone the first couple of days. The thought of making my tummy upset is not really on my list of things to do. I do not even miss them right now. I know mY mom gets the Caffeine free diet coke and shakes it up to defuse the fizz...lol I guess its all up to you and what you feel comfortable with. Me I think I will stay away from empty calories for a while...lol
  • loriloftness
    loriloftness Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the support and advice. I think I am learning that the temptation of a "sweet" is in my head, not really my stomach. I'm not saying I will never again have a taste of a sweet of any kind, but it is clear to me that it is not something I need to have in my day to day life. I especially am not going near any type of pop/soda ever again, because pre-surgery that was a huge trigger for me and I didn't do diet, I did full-on regular Dr Pepper. I am not willing to go down that slippery slope.
  • ac7nj
    ac7nj Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I can't drink any carbonated drinks at all, the fizz makes me feel too full instantly.

Randy
  • julieh515
    julieh515 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am 4 weeks out and have no desire for sweets. In fact I can barely stand protein shakes because of the sweetness. But I hope it stays that way! I have baked for my family and didn't even want to eat it!
  • pawoodhull
    pawoodhull Posts: 1,759 Member
    Options
    Tastes change. I was always more of a savory person and the shakes we had to live on at first were very hard for me to get down. I did much better on the protein infused chicken and beef broth. Pre-surgery my sole exception was my addiction to ice cream. But now, 3.5 years out from surgery, I find myself wanting a little sweet most work day afternoons. One piece of hard candy or some flavored water will satisfy me, but it's a puzzle why I suddenly want something sweet when I've never been that way before.
  • Patty2point0
    Patty2point0 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I too find myself liking sweet chocolate much more at 9 moths out. I always liked chocolate but now I Crave it- especially in the form of Oreos. I had a problem with Oreos last week. So this week I'm back to basics and trying to purge that Oreo craving out of me...