Essential Tools

Options
scott091501
scott091501 Posts: 1,260 Member
So I've noticed we have a good infusion of noobs here. Personally I think that's awesome. I just wanted to post up a list of what I, as a coach and athlete, feel is good starter list of tools to have.

Swim:

Jammers or Briefs for guys, one piece for girls
Goggles
Swim Cap (not necessary for guys really)
Pull buoy
Small freestyle paddles
Kick board
Ankle band (can use an old bike tube)

Bike:

Bike
Helmet
Sunglasses
Water bottles & cages
Bike computer or watch (optional but highly recommended. I'd prefer as a coach to see a heart rate monitor attached)

Run:

Running shoes
Number belt

Feel free to add, comment, question. I didn't note biking and tri specific clothes. It's hard to tell a newbie that a $100 tri suit or top/shorts set are necessary when you're not sure if this is really something you're passionate about.

Replies

• dreamer12151
    dreamer12151 Posts: 1,031 Member
    Options
    Great list! If I can add, Sunscreen! Sunscreen! Sunscreen!

And I'm not a triathlete, but I'm a 2 time duathlete, and I have to say, possibly the best article of clothing I have bought (other than shoes!) have been my tri shorts. Not too expensive (Mine were only about $40 or so), but well, well worth it!

I have a backpack that I have things in, I found an article somewhere from an experienced racer/Ironwoman & what she has in her bag. Wish I remembered where I found it, but I have used things in my little "kit": hand towel, hand sanitizer, flushable wipes, Permanent marker, safety pins, packing tape, Wet Ones, band aids, tissues, rubber bands etc. Then in my other Ziploc bag, I have an extra pair of socks, "personal things", plus extra over the counter meds (allergy pills, Tylenol, ibuprofen, & ANTI-DIARHEAL meds. )
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Good list.

IMO, a brightly colored swim cap should be considered mandatory (for safety reasons) if you swim in open water.

I'd add a small hand towel to the list... nice to have in transition for drying off feet if you wear socks, or simply wiping the sweat off your face/out of your eyes.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    gold bond or baby powder. sprinkle a generous amount into your cycling and running shoes and even your socks. helps absorb any moisture that you didn't dry post-swim and any sweat that will accumulate.
  • scott091501
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    Good list.

IMO, a brightly colored swim cap should be considered mandatory (for safety reasons) if you swim in open water.

I'd add a small hand towel to the list... nice to have in transition for drying off feet if you wear socks, or simply wiping the sweat off your face/out of your eyes.

Most places I've OWS have all required a swim cap. It's just good common sense.

• scott091501
    Options
    gold bond or baby powder. sprinkle a generous amount into your cycling and running shoes and even your socks. helps absorb any moisture that you didn't dry post-swim and any sweat that will accumulate.

See I've never had this issue. I race sockless except on the run portion of an IM and just tend to accept that all kinds of liquids are going to end up in your shoes. This is really just a bonus of tri specific shoes too. Tri cycling shoes and tri running shoes tend to have extra drainage holes in the soles.

• EnduranceGirl2
    EnduranceGirl2 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I use a "Safer Swimmer" safety float during open water swim training.
  • derrickyoung
    derrickyoung Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    A good sized gear bag with many pockets is the one item I seem to be yearning and thinking is essential. Between Running Shoes, Cycling Shoes, HRM, Swim Suits, Run clothes, Cycling clothes, Helmet, Goggles and so on I seem to have to completely unpack my bag several times a day to ensure I have everything or to find one illusive item.

Hope to get the Zoot Ultra Tri Bag February 1 when stock is available again.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Where I am you need to add wetsuit to that list. LOL.
    If you do require one, take it from me, get one that is meant for swimming. I tried to cheap out and use one that is not and paid the price. Turns out one of the cheap entry models was pretty much the same price and a lot less painful.
    In many places, renting one may be an option.
  • Drudoo
    Drudoo Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Body glide!
  • daj150
    daj150 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Since there are people who start out with farther distances, don't forget a hydration belt or something like a Spybelt where you can store some sodium tabs to drop on the water at a water stop. For a beginner, I am not sure they really need all of that swim gear. Don't get me wrong, if they want to do it right, they should get those. But for someone who is just aiming for completing, usually what they need most is goggles, jammers (m) / 1-piece (f), swim cap. You really want a swim cap for at least some of you training so you are used to it when you race. But other than those 3 things, the rest really is for just improving your swimming.
  • mandster
    mandster Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Great list and picked up some good tips from all of you. As the queen of punctures I would add spare tyre tubes and levers (or prepare for a impromtu brick session!)