Need some support from my cysters

Options
LO1421
LO1421 Posts: 41 Member
Hey there! It has been a month since I started this lifestyle change. I've been following a low GI diet and started taking inisotil a couple of weeks ago. I was down 14.8 lbs two weeks ago when I thought was awesome and amazing it happened so quickly. I also started doing T25 workouts 3 weeks ago. I have been very consistent and yet the scale has not shown off any of my hard work! It now says I'm back to 13 lbs lost. I know there are many factors that come into play and that this is a process that takes time. But I can't help but feel paranoid that this is the best I'm gonna get. I've tried dieting and exercising in the past and the best I was ever to lose was 35 lbs and then nothing. I am in need of some inspiration from others who have been in my shoes that have made it to the other side!!

Replies

• Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    The scale lies, seriously.

Start taking body measurements. That plus the scale will give you a more complete picture of what's going on. If you haven't already been doing that, at least consider how your clothes are fitting.

Other than that, just keep on keeping on. Hormones and water can cause your weight loss rate to fluctuate, but it's the trends that matter, not the day-to-day weights.
  • LO1421
    Options
    Yea I've been keeping body measurements. They have shown some changes in the right directions. I just really want to get control of my PCOS. There is a voice in my head that keeps repeating the line from studies "if you lose 20% of your weight you could regain your periods and possibly fertility." I feel this is why I want to see that scale move down so much!
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    LO1421 wrote: »
    Yea I've been keeping body measurements. They have shown some changes in the right directions. I just really want to get control of my PCOS. There is a voice in my head that keeps repeating the line from studies "if you lose 20% of your weight you could regain your periods and possibly fertility." I feel this is why I want to see that scale move down so much!

It's not the weight. Many women with PCOS have weight issues because of the effects of PCOS, not the other way around (otherwise, there'd be no slender women with it; see also: Jillian Michaels).

Also, it's not about the weight, but the fat. Fat puts out estrogen, which can throw off your hormone balance. Fat does not necessarily equal weight. You can have two different people who are of the same weight, and one person have 50% body fat, and the other 20% (even better? They can both be considered "overweight" by conventional wisdom standards, even though 20% body fat in women is healthy and "normal"). Go ahead and lop off a leg and see how far that gets you in the symptom department. You dropped 20% of your weight doing that, after all. Should fix matters, right? (See the problem with putting so much stock in weight?)

The idea that losing "20% of your weight will resolve your PCOS" is a gross oversimplification of the "more fat = more estrogen" thing. I also call *kitten* on it. I have lost 20% of my body weight, and my fertility was not affected by it. Rather, I lost weight because of the measures I took to deal with the underlying issues that were causing both the weight and the infertility (at the time I got pregnant, it was my blood sugar and insulin, which I was able to address with Metformin). In fact, I didn't hit the 20% mark until sometime after I became pregnant.

I've also regained my period even without losing weight, through the use of Inositol (vitamin B8) supplementation. I've also been able to do it through routine heavy lifting (though I haven't been able to keep doing it regularly for long enough to see if it worked over the long term). This is in part due to the fact that my weight issues and my cycle issues appear to have two different root causes at this point, and I've been able to find the cycle one, but haven't found the cause of the weight one, yet.

Ignore the scale for now, or invest in one of those scales that sync to MFP automatically and cover the screen so you don't see the numbers, but it still tracks so you have the data point. Go by measurements. Those are what really indicate progress.
  • LO1421
    Options
    Thanks that was a lot of good info. I started taking Inisotil about 2 weeks ago. I'm curious how long did it take you to regain your periods?
  • fighterdiva
    fighterdiva Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dragonwolf, ignore the scale and continue doing what you are doing. Heavy lifting is a must for women with PCOS.
  • Journeywithyou
    Journeywithyou Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Personally I feel weighing in daily sets you up for failure. You get too discouraged from lack of daily movement. This is a slow and steady journey. Stay focused on your diet, activity and water the movement will come. Trust how your clothes feel when you put them on they tell the bigger story of what is going on with your body.

We are here with you.
  • aSaltandBattery
    aSaltandBattery Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I like tracking my weight daily, but it was a big thing for me at first to get over the rising and falling numbers. Most of the time they stay very similar which makes me feel like no progress has been made. I find it makes me feel better and see the larger picture to look at the data on a 30 day scale compared to the 7 days chart that MFP has to offer.

Similar to what Dragonwolf has been saying - there are a ton of factors that influence the number of the scale in general, and more so with women who have PCOS. Focusing on getting healthier and not just on what the number says will benefit you more overall in the long run.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    LO1421 wrote: »
    Thanks that was a lot of good info. I started taking Inisotil about 2 weeks ago. I'm curious how long did it take you to regain your periods?

I got mine within a week, but that is a bit of an outlier, from what I've seen. In the studies I found, most women see changes of some sort within about a month to 6 weeks.

Also, how much are you taking? I started at 4g, which was the dose used in the studies I found. The research I found stated that 2g seems to be about the minimum for most women.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I agree with Dragonwolf, ignore the scale and continue doing what you are doing. Heavy lifting is a must for women with PCOS.

What do you mean by heavy lifting?
  • Alliwan
    Alliwan Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options

What do you mean by heavy lifting?

It means just what it says. Lifting as heavy as you can. Try New Rules of Weight Lifting for Women or something similar. High weight, low reps and increasing weight as you can.

YOu will not get bulky. Women dont have the capacity to get bulky unless they have some 'help'. It really does help with PCOS as it lowers the fat and increases muscle and changes your shape even if the weight doesnt move. Fat is where hormones like estrogen are stored so if you have less fat, you will have an easier time getting your hormones in order.
  • ShrinkingBerry
    ShrinkingBerry Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'm a short but large-built woman (thanks to my German ancestry) so not adding bulk is a big deal to me.
  • Dragonwolf
    Options
    Very interesting. I'll have to look into that. I'm a short but large-built woman (thanks to my German ancestry) so not adding bulk is a big deal to me.

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/

Also, even before it starts having an effect on fat or muscle, the act of heavy lifting itself helps the body balance hormones. I'm not sure on the exact science/mechanisms of it, though, but I've seen it work.