Eat this, not that!

Options
abbyjane81
abbyjane81 Posts: 51 Member
edited February 2015 in Social Groups
Simple substitutions in your diet can make a big difference. What unhealthy things have you switched in your diet for healthy things?

I use avocado or hummus on my sandwiches instead of mayo or ranch.

I use cauliflower instead of potatoes

I use spaghetti squash or zucchini instead of pasta

I use greek yogurt instead of sour cream

I'll add more as I think of them :)

Replies

• bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Extra lean ground turkey instead of ground beef
    Salsa instead of salad dressing
    Cauliflower rice instead of rice

Those are all I can think of, but if I remember anything else I'll add it!
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    I've been using ground chicken in place of any ground meat and it's my go to protein. I'm not a big meat eater but u love these burgers. More moist than turkey and delicious with spinach and goat cheese or avocado red onion and romaine!

I'm sorry. I love food lol I just get excited when I find recipes that are healthy and delicious. I would love to open a restuarnt lol
  • c_leeee
    c_leeee Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    quinoa instead of most grains
    lettuce wraps instead of buns
    rice noodles instead of regular noodles

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. My biggest exchange has been water instead of almost anything else though. I was actually able to quit cold turkey (minus the occassional grown up beverage) and start drinking plain water. I bought 3 glass water bottles, one for work, gym bag, and home and I constantly keep them filled and by my side. I don't know how I did it because I despised plain water...I think having pretty water bottles really helps! :smiley:
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    70% cocoa instead of m&m's (a girls gotta have her chocolate)

Spicy Hummus and mushrooms instead of chip n dip

Skinny girl popcorn instead of movie theater popcorn (yes I sneak it in)

Perdue Turkey cutlets instead of boneless chicken every other night
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Not necessarily a swap, but I use ground chicken or turkey and add beef bouillon to it to give it a "meatier" flavor.
  • bronzeambition
    bronzeambition Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Every now and again I'll eat baked chips, but they're almost too addicting for me to keep in the house, so I normally have Pretzel Crisps instead. I especially like the mini ones because I feel like I'm eating more because they're smaller. I also just bought these Lentil Snaps and they are amazing! I also bought some Snapea Crisps, but I haven't tried them yet.
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    Renae: great idea of mushrooms with hummus!! I get sick of carrots after a while.

• abbyjane81
    Options
    I've got a pretty good handle on my good. For now lol
    But I've decided to tweak a couple things each week to slowly cut back and mske healthier choices.
    This week I switched my two eggs for 1 egg and two whites. I also started msking my own Caesar dressing ( I have a thing for Caesar salad. lol)
    Instead of store bought I'm msking it out of plain greek yogurt, lemon juice, worchestshire, parm, salt, pepper and olives oil. Love it!
    Next week I'll start making my own croutons.... And cutting back on them!
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    @abbyjane81 - when you need a change switch the croutons out for chopped walnuts. They give a great crunch and add nutrition! Love my salads!
  • betsysjl
    betsysjl Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    abbyjane81 wrote: »
    I I also started msking my own Caesar dressing ( I have a thing for Caesar salad. lol)
    Instead of store bought I'm msking it out of plain greek yogurt, lemon juice, worchestshire, parm, salt, pepper and olives oil. Love it!
    Next week I'll start making my own croutons.... And cutting back on them!

I would love to know the portions you are using for this...I'm a caesar salad fan also.
  • abbyjane81
    Options
    @betsysjl‌ :
    1/3 0% greek yogurt
    2 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp Parmesan
    2 tsp worscheshire
    1 tbsp lemon juice
    Salt
    pepper
    Still high in cals, but wholesome ones, unlike the store bought!

@RENAEJAE‌ thanks for the idea! Next week I'm going to start weening myself from croutons! Lol