Menopausal Women - help please

Options
Wondering if there are any women in menopause EM2WL. I'm just having a tough time getting my calories figured out with my metabolism/hormone changes. It's just not like it used to be!!!! :-/

I mean no offense by this but I'd rather not hear from 20, 30, or 40 somethings telling me what I should be doing. I'm almost 55 and have been in menopause since September of last year. (That was my 1 year "anniversary.") I'd like to hear from people who have experienced the metabolism/hormone changes and what they have found to be successful.

Replies

• sgallagher1965
    sgallagher1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm there w u! Been two years!
  • sgallagher1965
    sgallagher1965 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    What is emw2l?
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Bumping to follow! I'm only 47, but 3 years ago all the rules changed for my body!

And, I am small already (131 lbs), but would like to lose down to under 125. And "Eat More To Lose" means something entirely different to a small peri or post menopausal woman! I need to find what works now too!

Also, I will be soooo glad to say goodbye completely to TOM!!! Every month I hope. . . .
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    EM2WL = "eat more to weigh less" which is what this group is called. Basically it's better to have more calories in order to lose weight.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Bumping to follow. Had a partial hysto last May...put on13lbs..after...would like to learn more as I go on.
  • BackwoodsMom
    BackwoodsMom Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    No one in this group have any input on menopausal weight gain and EM2WL?
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    I wish I could but I'm not quite at menopause (at 46 I'm perimenopausal). BUT from my reading, a lot of time people start gaining more weight due to water weight gain (think hormonal changes at period and keep going) as well as being older and having less muscle/less activity. IF you still lift weights (progressive strength such as Stronglifts or NROLFW for example) then you should be able to keep losing weight at a normal pace, though in the beginning you'll be fighting some water weight gain. Weight lifting is the best thing a woman can do as she ages, both to keep her muscles and bones strong, but also to lose fat.

I would still go to TDEE and subtract 15% and see how it goes - if you are losing 1/2 lb a week or so then great (on avg over a month), if not, take away 100 calories and try that for a month. If you are losing too quickly (more than 1-2 lb a week), add more calories.

If you are already small and want to lose a small amount of weight, know that it's going to be VERY slow. You should probably be at a 10% deficit and realise that it may take months to lose the weight.
  • Jennbecca33
    Jennbecca33 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    You might try posting over in the main EM2WL forums on the website and see if someone has some input over there that would help you.

http://forums.eatmore2weighless.com/
  • tekkiechikk
    tekkiechikk Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I'm almost 52 and have been post-menopausal for about 3 years. I'm finding it really difficult to lose weight like I used to when I was in my 20s and 30s. I'm hypothyroid, too, which could have some effect, but it's discouraging-- been doing cardio and weights regularly, eating well, staying under daily calories (except for 2 days) and haven't lost any weight in the nearly 4 weeks since I started. I know I will, I just can't expect it to happen as soon as I'd like.

At this point, I'm just pleased with the lifestyle and dietary changes I've made. If I want a piece of cake, I'll have it and track it, but I'm much more satisfied now with a healthier alternative. I'm focusing on strength just as much as weight, and that IS starting to show in my muscle tone.

Good luck, we PM ladies have to find the bright spot in these changes somewhere!
  • tigerblue
    tigerblue Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    My husband went to a wellness seminar at work on menopause (I think he feels he needs a support group to deal with the crazy!), and brought me several flyers. One of them stated that most women experience a 10-15% lowering of metabolism during peri/post menopause. Perhaps take that into account.
  • jewelez1975
    jewelez1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Wondering if there are any women in menopause EM2WL. I'm just having a tough time getting my calories figured out with my metabolism/hormone changes. It's just not like it used to be!!!! :-/

I mean no offense by this but I'd rather not hear from 20, 30, or 40 somethings telling me what I should be doing. I'm almost 55 and have been in menopause since September of last year. (That was my 1 year "anniversary.") I'd like to hear from people who have experienced the metabolism/hormone changes and what they have found to be successful.

• jewelez1975
    jewelez1975 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I'm 39 yrs old and I'm 3 weeks post op from abdominal hysterectomy. My tubes, as well as uterus were removed, however I still have my ovaries. I was put on estrodol a few days ago, and I feel much better than I did. Because I was having severe hot flashes, night sweats, and moodiness. I'm just wondering what my metabolism is going to be like as time goes on. I will tell you that I've been watching what I eat and drink lots of water, especially due to the fact that I am still recovering.
  • Lowiclowi
    Options
    Hi I'm 53 had a hyster at the age of 41. I can tell you the estradiol will help you stay balanced mentally and physically. I asked my doc last year if I could go off of it,,,he said I need it for my bones. Hormones play such a large part of our bodies. My husband likes me taking it,,, I'm not so growly. Lol Make sure you eat well, take care especially during your recovery. Eat lots of fruits and veggies. Take care
  • bd208
    bd208 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and Had a hysterectomy in 2007, that sent me into early menopause! I have been fighting my weight ever since. I am currently doing strength training and walking on a treadmill for cardio. I currently take bioidentical hormones and have been off and on for about 3 years. I still have hot flashes and night sweats but I noticed that the more I excercise the less frequent they are. My poor husband can tell when I don't take my "meds" as he calls them, makes me horribly grouchy and sooooo moody! I'm hoping that I'm getting to the point when all of these things will eventually fade. I take a good calcium and multivitamin along with my fish oil. I'm also trying to stay away from processed foods and eat as wholesome as I can. I've had my thyroid checked and it's working like it should so that's not the problem. I can't speak for anyone else but this is my experience. I hope it helps.
  • skinny4me2be
    skinny4me2be Posts: 358 Member
    edited February 2015
    Options
    Along with the OP question, For those of you that are pre or in menopause and eating more to weigh less, have you found the right macro's to help you lose? I feel I have the right calorie range, but it I seems if I have a high carb day here and there, I gain BIG time and especially around the belly. This week I'm focusing on getting 20-30g of protein per meal along with veggies and fruit and seeing if that helps. I'm thinking I'm coming to to the realization that carbs are not my friend at this age. I have to admit to myself that I cannot eat like I did in y 20's and 30's and have to adjust. Besides working out - was looking for information on what worked for you too as far as nutrition.
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I think it's very individual. I'm pre-menopausal and I can eat carbs w/no problem. I do try to eat at least 100 grams of protein per day (and more on lifting days) but I don't worry about carbs or fat or anything. For me, it's really been about figuring out my TDEE - I took 4 months to do this - and then having a small deficit to lose.
  • freyja1197
    freyja1197 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I'm 51 and I have been Post Menopause for 4 years now and it's been a struggle to lose 35lb - I started out needing to lose 52 and have lost 17 so far. It can be done but you have to be very dedicated to doing it and willing to sweat, not just from hot flashes either, lol. It also takes patience. Our bodies go through all kinds of odd things during menopause - I mean really? I have to carry around tweezers now? I have found a couple of exercise programs and a nutrition program that is working for me and I would love to see you all succeed as well. Feel free to add me as a friend if you are serious and committed to losing weight and getting healthy.
  • nmcknny
    nmcknny Posts: 479 Member
    Options
    I've been post-menopausal for years and I take hormone replacement (estradiol and norethindrone acetate tablets) and have for a long time. At menopause, my worst symptom was cognitive problems--I couldn't remember things (I was in grad school and forgot to go to an exam), I made lists for everything, I couldn't prioritize, I just couldn't think. The HRT really made the difference.

My weight gain was a result of getting older, gaining a little every year, not paying attention to what I was eating, getting less active. I don't know how much a changing metabolism figured in--maybe that's "middle-age spread." I found myself 40 pounds overweight.

I'm trying to lose it now and MFP has worked for me. I'm at a point where it's hard to keep losing--I lose a little then stay at that weight for a long time. I think EM2WL may help me lose the rest (the last 13 pounds) and help me eat right as I strength train.

As someone said above, it's individual. Everyone has to find out what works best for her.

• letsjustgetitdone
    Options
    Hey, girls! I am post menopausal as well. I agree, we all have different things going on and I'm in there with you! I do know that I have tried to go the low-cal route with tons of cardio and even lifting weights. I'd do the 2 pounds a week setting on here and look at the little phrase at the end of each day saying, 'if you eat this way every day, you'll weigh this by this date...." I'd get such a charge from that. I had it all figured out! Boy, was I wrong. My body hung on to my fat for dear life at 1200 calories. I really tried hard and was a good girl. I then felt myself getting really burnt out right about the time I started perimenopause then about 2 years ago went into menopause. After a little help with bioidentical hormones I could start to lose again, only to totally regain in the next few months. I had even won a gym contest during that time, but was only on 1080 calories a day (at least that's what my trainer wanted me to eat. I worked out super hard for at least 2 hours a day. I found myself sneaking cigarettes in the garage while I phoned my friend who had won the same fitness contest last year. (She was 20 years younger, by the way) I needed the 'energy' from the nicotine. I struggled and lost 18 pounds in 12 weeks, injuring myself along the way. I just want to say that I look back on this now and realize that it was then that I really messed up my body... ugh, it makes me sick how MEAN I was to myself. My body was starving. I kept pushing. It pushed back and at the end I ended up gaining all the weight back and then some in a matter of months. I'm now at 6 weeks after a total abdominal hysterectomy. I have to say there is a part of me that wants to just get this darn weight off because summer is coming! It's like a panic within me that I always get around this time of the year. I want to be skinny this summer. I want to not die in the heat. I don't want another fat summer. I want to look like her....I literally torture myself and defeat myself before I even begin. It's horrible how I talk to myself and I am really working on that. I like Eat More 2 Weigh Less because it is totally the opposite of what I've already tried. I like the idea that maybe I can EAT. I am horrified at the idea of gaining more weight. But then I read other people's success stories and it makes so much sense. I am trying to slow down my mind and just realize this process is a slow one, but if I do it correctly, it will be a permanent solution. I now realize that at 1200 calories, I really had no where to GO from there. I was already starving myself. I initially lost about 6 pounds right away after my surgery. I now realize that this wasn't fat loss. A lot of it was most likely water and I have been losing muscle tissue. I am looking forward to being able to lift weights again and will not EVER complain about it. I have had my exercise taken away and it has actually been a blessing because I realize now I should do it because I can and be grateful I am ABLE! I used to complain and whine that I 'had' to work out. I will never, ever complain again and if I do, kick me! Good luck to you all....if you got through all this, thanks for reading.
  • 3furballs
    3furballs Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    letsjustgetitdone, good luck on your journey! I feel you on the panic. I've maintained my weight and toned up so well for so long this sudden weight gain has been freaking out. I hate that my pants don't fit and I don't see the same ab definition in the mirror. I'm sure a lot is hormones, but I'm hoping they sort themselves out. I can't face a life of deprivation and eating only 1300 calories or 1400 a day. I like food, I'm trying to eat less sugar and more protein and sticking to 1700 a day based on my lower TDEE less 15%. I'm going to try this for 2 weeks then up it if possible.

It's a fine line between getting where you want to be and still enjoying life, life is too short to beat yourself up.