Use as step counter in MFP also?

Options
Hi guys,

I am using an Up24 with MFP and am a bit confused by everything. I log my food with MFP, but I log my exercise with the Up app. However, in the MFP app, I not only have it set to recognize my Up 24 app, but I also have it counting steps from my Up24. Is this wrong? Am I getting twice as many exercise calories as I should this way?

I also enabled the negative calorie thing and am confused by this. I've only eaten 700-something today, and it says I only have 300-some left. I noticed it is making negative adjustments for my steps via Up and also my activity via Up.

Help me out!

I'm also confused about the Stopwatch/Timed activity mode. How do I know when I need to use stopwatch mode and when I don't? If I am using stopwatch mode, then does it just count that and not my steps? It wants me to get 13,000 steps again today. This would be impossible, but I plan to spend an hour and a half on a stationary bike. I will put my Up24 in my pocket so it counts steps toward my goal. Since I am counting the steps, do I also use the timed activity mode for it? If so, will it count it twice in MFP? What if I stop pedaling every once in a while? Will it realize this and take account of that, or will it just carry on thinking I'm working out the whole time since it's a planned activity?

I have to say, I wish Jawbone gave better instructions for using the Up 24, alone and with MFP.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    First of all, turn off negative calories in mfp. I put that on one time and went nuts! All it does is screw up your work outs.

Steps in UP is a very basic use of it. I just found this out. I was trying to do more than the 10,000 steps every day and only made it twice. Then I found the work out section where you can add your activities. If you log anything, bicycling, Zumba, weights, etc (there's a ton), it adds to your activity. Then you don't log workouts in MFP. No one knows what you did, except showing in your diary, but it's more accurate.

I have it synced with mfp, but I ignore the calorie count in UP.

I have this until January when the Apple watch is available. ;-)
  • jesse_dylan
    jesse_dylan Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Woops, missed your reply! I thought it would e-mail me!

I've turned off the negative calorie thing, and I thought things were working better now. I only get one entry at least, but gosh, I work out like crazy, and MFP will only give me 124 extra calories to eat. It's crazy. UP says I burned about 500 calories on a long walk. You'd think MFP would then give me those 500 extra calories, but nope, 124. Is there a reason for this?

Also, I have different goals set in each, sadly. I can't figure out how to change my weight loss goal in the UP app. It seems like it just decides to have everyone eat 500 calories less than maintenance. That's what it has my goal set at.

Meanwhile in MFP, I have my goal set at losing 2 lbs per week. I wonder if the conflict between the goals causes weird behavior, like with my exercise calories.

I'd like an Apple Watch, too! I will have to wait until they're cheaper and more refined, sadly. Really does seem like it could be the wave of the future, though, logging heartbeat and everything and hopefully we won't even have to bother logging workouts anymore if it can measure heart rate.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    edited December 2014
    Options
    I work out like crazy, and MFP will only give me 124 extra calories to eat. It's crazy. UP says I burned about 500 calories on a long walk. You'd think MFP would then give me those 500 extra calories, but nope, 124. Is there a reason for this?

That's not how it works. Your default MFP calorie goal is your activity level minus your deficit. When you connect your accounts, your calories are adjusted to be your UP total burn (which is your TDEE) minus your deficit.

If you disable negative calorie adjustments, then you won't be eating at a true deficit on less active days—or ever if you've set your activity level too high.

Enable negative calorie adjstments: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

Set your activity level to sedentary: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/change_goals_guided and choose an appropriate deficit—.5 lb. per week for each 25 lbs. you need to lose.

Log food & drink (including water) in MFP.

Do not log any step-based activity.
    Log non-stop exercise (like swimming or biking) in UP—not MFP.

Follow your MFP calorie goal, eating back your UP calorie adjustments.
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I know this thread is over a month old but I hope someone will see my post.

So, Disable ANY step tracking in MFP.? how will MFP know my steps then? Everything has been working fine for a few weeks, MFP has been showing my steps from the UP just fine and just today MFP is not syncing my steps from Jawbone, although I haven't changed any settings. All of my food diary entries are syncing though.
  • Windnancy
    Windnancy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    jennmac415 wrote: »
    I know this thread is over a month old but I hope someone will see my post.

So, Disable ANY step tracking in MFP.? how will MFP know my steps then? Everything has been working fine for a few weeks, MFP has been showing my steps from the UP just fine and just today MFP is not syncing my steps from Jawbone, although I haven't changed any settings. All of my food diary entries are syncing though.

had the same problem today...it synced 3500 or so steps then stopped...i actually did over 11K by the end of day...doesn't matter much however...because in the end you know what you've eaten and you know you've exercised...hopefully either jawbone or MFP will sync better tomorrow :smile:
  • jennmac415
    jennmac415 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    That's EXACTLY where mine stopped syncing my steps from the jawbone, right around 3500!!! ...i know it doesn't really affect anything, just the OCD part of me that wants it to sync like it's supposed to. Lol... Weird that all my calories are still syncing from MFP to the jawbone though.... Grrrrrr
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    jennmac415 wrote: »

Sometimes the MFP servers get overwhelmed and there's a delay calculating UP calorie adjustments. If you click on an adjustment, you'll see the actual figures MFP used (and the time).

MFP gets your UP total burn, projects what it'll be at 11:59 p.m., and compares that number to your MFP activity level. The difference between the two is your adjustment.